Main Article Content
The purpose of this study was to develop and evaluate a clinical nursing practice guideline (CNPG) for oral health care in dependent patients in a medical ward. The CNPG was developed by applying the framework of development of clinical practice guideline of Australia National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC, 1999). The study consisted of three phases. The first phase was the CNPG development. The second phase was dissemination and promoting the implementation of the CNPG, and the third phase, evaluation of CNPG implementation. The CNPG for oral health care in dependent patients was composed of four components: 1) oral assessment, 2) products and equipment for oral health care selection, 3) oral care, and 4) oral health care education to caregiver. The CNPG was implemented by 18 nurses’ practising in care of 20 dependent patients. Descriptive statistics and Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test were used for data analysis. The results showed that correctness of nurses’ practising following CNPG in all activities was increased; feasibility of implementing the CNPG was at a high level (M = 4.18, SD = 0.39); and oral health of patients was statistically significant improved (Z = -3.211, p = .001) after receiving oral health care following the CNPG
2. Liemsuwan T, Traimongkolkul P. State of health and care among the dependent elderly in Khok Khinon Sub-district, Chon Buri Province. Journal of Liberal Arts. 2016; 8(2): 247-70. Thai.
3. Noisombut R, Tiamkao S, Klanrit P, et al. Oral health status and oral impacts on daily performances in ischemic stroke patients. KDJ. 2016; 19(1): 17-26. Thai.
4. Tan-Khum A, Jiewprasat K, Wattradul D. Effect of implementing oral care guideline among intubated patients in critical care unit. Thai Cardio-Thoracic Nurses Association. 2012; 23(2): 59-76. Thai.
5. Coke L, Otten K, Staffilen B, et al. The impact of an oral hygiene education module on patient practices and nursing documentation. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2015; 19(1): 75-80. doi: 10.1188/15.CJON.75-80.
6. Danket R. Development of clinical practice guidelines for oral health care among dependent elders, male medical unit 3, Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai hospital [Thesis]. [Chiang Mai]; Chiang Mai University: 2014. 93 p.
7. Nuchakul S. The development of a clinical nursing practice guideline for care of oral cavities in clinical adult patients with endotracheal tubes [Thesis]. [Bangkok]; Mahidol University: 2007. 108 p.
8. Longlalerng W, Ua-Kit N. The effect of a clinical nursing practice guideline for oral care in critical patients with endotracheal tubes. Thai Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Nursing. 2016; 27 (1): 98-113. Thai.
9. National Health and Medical Research Council. A guide to the development, implementation and evaluation of clinical practice [Internet]. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service; 1999 [cited 2017 Aug 10]. Available from: http://www.health.Gov.au/nhmrc/publication/pdf/cp.30.pdf.
10. Kummatid A, Markrat M. Using the systematic review to provide a complete summary on a research question in evidence-based practice: a 3-step method. The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health. 2015; 3(3): 246-59. Thai.
11. The Joanna Briggs Institute. Joanna Briggs Institute Reviewers’ Manual: 2014 edition [Internet]. Australia: Solito Fine Colour Printers; 2014 [cited 2016 July 21]. Available from: https://nursing.lsuhsc.edu/JBI/docs/ReviewersManuals/Economic.pdf.
12. Institute of Medical Research and Technology Assessment. Appraisal of guideline for research & evaluation II; AGREE II [Internet]. Department of Medical Services.; 2013 [cited 2017 Aug 17]. Available from: https://www.agreetrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Thai-AGREE-II.pdf. Thai
13. Eilers J, Berger AM, Petersen MC. Development, testing, and application of the oral assessment guide. Oncol Nurs Forum. 1988; 15(3): 325-30.
14. Ratchawong W, Chayaput P, Kimpee S, et al. Impact of a self-management oral care program on stomatitis in head and neck cancer patients treated with radiotherapy or radio-chemotherapy. Thai Journal of Nursing Council. 2013; 28(1): 34-48. Thai.
15. Rujipong P. The effect of clinical nursing practice guideline utilization for care of oral cavities on oral status and ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) rate in critically adult patients with endotracheal tube [Thesis]. [Bangkok]; Mahidol University; 2009. 116 p.