Main Article Content
Objective: To determine the prevalence of pregnancy with placenta previa in Siriraj Hospital.
Methods: This study conducted a retrospective review of in-patients medical records of a total of 843 singleton deliveries in
Siriraj Hospital with gestational age ≥28 weeks during January to February 2009. Data on baseline characteristics of pregnant
women, pregnancy course and the outcomes during delivery were collected. Placenta previa was diagnosed by ultrasonographgy
and /or direct visualization of placental location during cesarean section.
Results: The mean age of the population was 28.4 ± 6.0 years old. Most of these delivered at term gestation (87.4%). The
modes of delivery were normal vertex delivery, emergency cesarean section and elective cesarean section which presented
in 60.5%, 26.5% and 12.1% of pregnancies respectively. The prevalence of placenta previa was 0.7% (6/843). The factor
significantly associated with placenta previa was previous uterine curettage (p = 0.001). The significant outcomes of pregnancy
with placenta previa were maternal blood loss >500 mL (P = 0.008) and baby’s APGAR score at 1st minute ≤7 (p = 0.006).
Conclusion: The prevalence of pregnancy with placenta previa in Siriraj Hospital was 0.7%.
All articles published in the Siriraj Medical Journal (SMJ) are protected by copyright. No material in this journal may be reproduced on any platform including electronic or in print or transmitted by any means, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the Editor of the SMJ. Written permission must also be obtained before any part of the SMJ is stored in any retrieval system of any nature.
The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. p. 757-803.
2. Obstetrics hemorrhage. In: Cunningham FG, Levono KJ, Bloom SL, Hauth JC, Gilstrap III LC, Wenstrom KD, editors. Williams Obstetrics. 22th ed.
New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 1997. p. 809-54.
3. Faiz AS, Ananth CV. Etiology and risk factors for placenta previa: an overview and meta-analysis of observational studies. J Matern Fetal
Neonatal Med. 2003 Mar;13(3):175-90.
4. Kim L, Caughey A, Esscobar G. Racial and ethnic differences in the prevalence of placenta previa. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008;199 (6 Suppl 1):
5. Lone F, Sultan AH, Thakar R, Beggs A. Risk factors and management patterns for emergency obstetric hysterectomy over 2 decades. Int J
Gynaecol Obstet. 2010 Apr;109(1):12-5.
6. Yaegashi N, Chiba-Sekii A, Okamura K. Emergency postpartum hysterectomy in women with placenta previa and prior cesarean section. Int J
Gynaecol Obstet. 2000 Jan;68(1):49-52.
7. Oppenheimer L. Diagnosis and management of placenta previa. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007 Mar;29(3):261-73.
8. Dashe JS, McIntire DD, Ramus RM, Santos-Ramos R, Twickler DM. Persistence of placenta previa according to gestational age at ultrasound
detection. Obstet Gynecol. 2002 May;99(5 Pt 1):692-7.
9. Hung TH, Hsieh CC, Hsu JJ, Chiu TH, Lo LM, Hsieh TT. Risk factors for placenta previa in an Asian population. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007
10. Butler EL, Dashe JS, Ramus RM. Association between maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein and adverse outcomes in pregnancies with placenta
previa. Obstet Gynecol. 2001 Jan;97(1):35-8.
11. Kiondo P, Wandabwa J, Doyle P. Risk factors for placenta praevia presenting with severe vaginal bleeding in Mulago hospital, Kampala,
Uganda. Afr Health Sci. 2008 Mar;8(1):44-9.
12. Ananth CV, Smulian JC, Vintzileos AM. The association of placenta previa with history of cesarean delivery and abortion: a metaanalysis.
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997 Nov;177(5):1071-8.
13. Macones GA, Sehdev HM, Parry S, Morgan MA, Berlin JA. The association between maternal cocaine use and placenta previa. Am J Obstet
Gynecol. 1997 Nov;177(5):1097-100.
14. Eniola AO, Bako AU, Selo-Ojeme DO. Risk factors for placenta praevia in southern Nigeria. East Afr Med J. 2002 Oct;79(10):535-8.
15. Nyango DD, Mutihir JT, Kigbu JH. Risk factors for placenta praevia in Jos, north central Nigeria. Niger J Med. 2010 Jan-Mar;19(1):46-9.
16. Crane JM, van den Hof MC, Dodds L, Armson BA, Liston R. Neonatal outcomes with placenta previa. Obstet Gynecol. 1999 Apr;93(4):541-4.
17. Ananth CV, Demissie K, Smulian JC, Vintzileos AM. Relationship among placenta previa, fetal growth restriction, and preterm delivery: a populationbased
study. Obstet Gynecol. 2001 Aug;98(2):299-306.