Gastric Outlet Obstruction Secondary to Gastric Actinomycosis: A Case Report and Literature Review
Keywords:actinomycosis, gastric outlet obstruction
Actinomycosis is a rare chronic infection caused by the bacteria of the Actinomyces species. Gastric
actinomycosis is an extremely rare disease. The usual presentations are low-grade fever, epigastric pain, weight
loss, and upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage. To date, about 21 cases have been reported in the literature. It
is difficult to diagnose preoperatively. This chronic infection has a propensity to mimic malignancy. An
accurate diagnosis is always obtained in a histological examination of the resected specimen. We report here
a 39-year-old woman with primary gastric actinomycosis presenting with gastric outlet obstruction. Because of
its rarity, gastric actinomycosis is an entity overlooked by most surgeons. Reporting of such case may help
increase the awareness of this important and curable disease. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case
of gastric outlet obstruction secondary to gastric actinomycosis in the literature. The literature on gastric and
abdominal actinomycosis were also reviewed.
abdominopelvic actinomycosis: report of twenty cases and
literature review. Yonsei Med J 2009;50:555-9.
2. Kaszuba M, Tomaszewska R, Pityñski K, et al. Actinomycosis
mimicking advanced cancer. Pol Arch Med Wewn 2008;
3. Oksüz M, Sandikçi S, Culhaci A, et al. Primary gastric
actinomycosis: a case report. Turk J Gastroenterol 2007;18:44-
4. Das N, Lee J, Madden M, et al. A rare case of abdominal
actinomycosis presenting as an inflammatory pseudotumor.
Int J Colorectal Dis 2006;21:483-4.
5. Lee SH, Kim HJ, Kim HJ et al. Primary gastric actinomycosis
diagnosed by endoscopic biopsy: case report. Gastrointest
6. Berardi RS. Abdominal actinomycosis. Surg Gynecol Obstet
7. Taga S. Diagnosis and therapy of pelvic actinomycosis. J
Obstet Gynaecol Res 2007;33:882-5.
8. Stringer MD, Cameron AE. Abdominal actinomycosis: a
forgotten disease? Br J Hosp Med 1987;38:125-7.
9. Isik B, Aydin E, Sogutlu G, et al. Abdominal actinomycosis
simulating malignancy of the right colon. Dig Dis Sci 2005;
10. Lee YM, Law WL, Chu KW. Abdominal actinomycosis. Aust
N Z J Surg 2001;71:261-3.
11. Wang YH, Tsai HC, Lee SS, et al. Clinical manifestations of
actinomycosis in Southern Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol
12. Evans J, Chan C, Gluch L, et al. Inflammatory pseudotumour
secondary to actinomyces infection. Aust N Z J Surg 1999;
13. Skoutelis A, Panagopoulos C, Kalfarentzos F et al. Intramural
gastric actinomycosis. South Med J 1995;88:647-50.
14. Lee CM, Ng SH, Wan YL et al. Gastric actinomycosis. J
Formos Med Assoc 1996;95:66-8.
15. Fernández-Aceñero MJ, Silvestre V, Fernández-Roldán R, et
al. Gastric actinomycosis: a rare complication after gastric
bypass for morbid obesity. Obes Surg 2004;14:1012-5.
16. Van Olmen G, Larmuseau MF, Geboes K et al. Primary
gastric actinomycosis: a case report and review of the
literature. Am J Gastroenterol 1984:79:512-6.
17. Mazuji MK, Henry JS. Gastric actinomycosis: case report.
Arch Surg 1967;94:292-3.
18. Urdaneta LF, Belin RP, Cueto J, et al. Intramural gastric
actinomycosis. Surgery 1967;62:431-5.
19. Figueras J, Martín-Rague J, Madesvall N, et al. Intramural
gastric abscess. Rev Esp Enfer Apar Dig 1979;56:267-70.
20. Dellagi K, Kchir N, Mezni F et al. Abdominal actinomycosis:
a rare complication of gastric surgery? A propos of a case.
Ann Gastroenterol Hepatol 1986;22:391-3.
21. Eastridge CE, Prather JR, Hughes FA. Actinomycosis: a 24-
year experience. South Med J 1972;65:839-43.
22. Wilson E. Abdominal actinomycosis with special reference
to the stomach. Br J Surg 1961;49:266-70.
23. Sumer Y, Yilmaz B, Emre B, et al. Abdominal mass secondary
to actinomyces infection: an unusual presentation and its
treatment. J Postgrad Med 2004;50:115-7.
24. Huang CJ, Huang TJ, Hsieh JS. Pseudo-colonic carcinoma
caused by abdominal actinomycosis: report of two cases.
Int J Colorectal Dis 2004;19:283-6.
25. Wagenlehner FM, Mohren B, Naber KG, et al. Abdominal
actinomycosis. Clin Microbiol Infect 2003;9:881-5.
26. Alam MK, Khayat FA, Al-Kayali A, et al. Abdominal
actinomycosis: case reports. Saudi J Gastroenterol 2001;7:
27. Cintron JR, Del Pino A, Duarte B, et al. Abdominal
actinomycosis. Dis Colon Rectum 1996;39:105-8.
28. Goodman HM, Tuomala RE, Leavitt T Jr. Actinomycotic
pelvic inflammatory disease simulating malignancy. J
Reprod Med 1986;31:625-8.
29. Garner JP, Macdonald M, Kumar PK. Abdominal
actinomycosis. Int J Surg 2007;5:441-8.
30. Piper JV, Stoner BA, Mitra SK, et al. Ileo-vesical fistula
associated with pelvic actinomycosis. Br J Clin Pract 1969;
31. Dayan K, Neufeld D, Zissin R et al. Actinomycosis of the large
bowel: Unusual presentations and their surgical treatment.
Eur J Surg 1996;162:657-60.
How to Cite
Articles must be contributed solely to The Thai Journal of Surgery and when published become the property of the Royal College of Surgeons of Thailand. The Royal College of Surgeons of Thailand reserves copyright on all published materials and such materials may not be reproduced in any form without the written permission.