Successful Whipple Operation for a Huge Pancreatic Tumor in a Young Woman
Keywords:Whipple operation, solid pseudo-papillary of the pancreas
Solid pseudo-papillary tumor (SSPT) of the pancreas is a rare pancreatic tumor. It is distinct from other
pancreatic tumors in its age and sex distribution. Following aggressive resection there is a favorable prognosis, with most patients going on to cure. This entity is widely reported in the surgical and pathological literature. We present a case of huge SSPT of the pancreas in a young woman who underwent successful Whipple’s operation. She has been followed for two years without any evidence of recurrence. We also present a review of the literature on SSPT.
solid tumors of the pancreas: a pancreatic embryonic tumor?
Studies of three cases and cumulative review of the world’s
literature. Surgery 1995;118:821-8.
2. Washington K. Solid-pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas:
challenges presented by an unusual pancreatic neoplasm.
Ann Surg Oncol 2002;9:3-4
3. Dong PR, Lu D. SK, Degregario F, et al. Solid and Papillary
Neoplasm of the Pancreas: radiological-pathological study
of five cases and review of the literature. Clin Radiol 1996;51:
4. Martin RCG, Klimstra DS, Brennan MF, et al. Solidpseudopapillary
tumor of the pancreas: a surgical enigma?
Ann Surg Oncol 2002;9:35-40.
5. Frantz VK. Tumors of the pancreas. In: Atlas of tumor pathology,
1st series, fascicle 27-28. Washington DC: US Armed Forces
Institute of Pathology; 1959.
6. Rustin RB, Broughan TA, Hermann RE, et al. Papillary cystic
epithelial neoplasms of the pancreas: a clinical study of four
cases. Arch Surg 1986; 121:1073-6.
7. Mandrekar SRS, Pinto RGV, Patil R, et al. Solid and papillary
epithelial neoplasm of the pancreas, report of a case with
diagnosis by fine needle aspiration cytology. Acta Cytologica
8. Lam KY, Lo CY, Fan ST. Pancreatic solid-cystic-papillaray
tumor: clinicopathologic features in eight patients from Hong
Kong and review of the literature. World J Surg 1999; 23:1045-
9. Todani T, Shimada K, Watanabe Y, et al. Frantz’s tumor: a papillary and cystic tumor of the pancreas in girls. J Pediatr
10. Kuo TTK, Su IHJ, Chien CH. Solid and papillary neoplasm of the
pancreas: report of the three cases from Taiwan. Cancer
11. Wunsch LP, Flemming P, Werner U, et al. Diagnosis and
treatment of papillary cystic tumor of the pancreas in children.
Eur J Pediatr Surg 1997;7:45-7.
12. Yang YJ, Chen JS, Chen CJ, et al. Papillary cystic tumor of the
pancreas in children. Scand J Gastroenterol 1996;31:1223-7.
13. Uchimi K, Fujita N, Noda Y, et al. Solid cystic tumor of the
pancreas: report of six cases and a review of the Japanese
literature. J Gastroenterol 2002;37:972-80.
14. Pettinato G, Manivel JC, Ravetto C, et al. Papillary cystic
tumor of the pancreas a clinicopathologic study of 20 cases
with cytologic, immunohistochemical, ultrastructural and
flometric observations: a review of the literature. AJCP
15. Mendoca M, Bivar-Weinholtz J, Soares J. Fine needle aspiration
cytology of a solid and papillary epithelial neoplasm of the
pancreas. Acta Cytologica 1991;35:258-60.
16. Deshpanade A, Munshi M. Cytology of papillary solid-cystic
neoplasm of the pancreas presenting as an extrapancreatic
mass: a case report. Acta Cytologica 2005;49:81-6.
17. Katz LB, Ehya H. Aspiration cytology of papillary cystic neoplasm
of the pancreas. AJCP 1990;94:328-33.
18. Jeng LB, Chen MF, Tang RP. Solid and papillary neoplasm of
the pancreas, emphasis on surgical treatment. Arch Surg
19. Sheen IS, Chang-Chien CS, Wu CS. Solid and papillary
neoplasm of the pancreas: a report of an unusual pattern of
calcification. Am J Gastroenterol 1988;83:789-91
How to Cite
Articles must be contributed solely to The Thai Journal of Surgery and when published become the property of the Royal College of Surgeons of Thailand. The Royal College of Surgeons of Thailand reserves copyright on all published materials and such materials may not be reproduced in any form without the written permission.