Parkinsonism Associated with Brain Tumor : A Case Report of Meningioma
Keywords:Parkinsonism, Meningiomas,, Brain Tumor
A 65-year-old female presented with parkinsonism was investigated at Thammasat University Hospital. Computed tomography showed a 6.4x4.3X6-cm tumor at right frontoparietal region. A right fronto-temporo-parietal craniotomy was done and the tumor was completely removed. The pathological findings confirmed as a meningioma. Two months later, parkinsonism disappeared complete. This outcome supports the notion that local compression due to edema may cause a functional disorder in the basal ganglia producing reversible contralateral parkinsonism.
2. McDermott MW, Wilson CB. Meningiomas. In: Youmans JR. Neurological Surgery. 4thed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders,1996:2782-825.
3. Cushing H, Eisenhardt L, Meningiomas: Their Classifications, Regional Behavior, Life History, and Surgical End Results. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas, 1938.
4. Husag L, Wieser HG, Probst C. Extrapyramidal symptoms in meningiomas. Schweiz Arch Neurol Neurochir Psychiatr 1975;116:257-79.
5. Wakai S, Nakamura K, Niizaki K, Nagai M, Nishizawa T, Yokoyama S, Katayama s. Meningioma of the anterior third ventricle presenting with parkinsonism. Surg Neurol 1984;21:88-92.
6. Barbosa ER, Teixeira MJ, Chaves CJ, Scaff M. Parkinson disease associated to a brain tumor: a case report. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 1991; 49: 338-41.
7. Lu CS, Chang CN. Hemiparkinsonism in a patient with frontal meningioma. J Formos Med Assoc 1992; 91: 1216-8.
8. Leenders KL, Findley LJ, Cleeves L. PET before and after surgery for tumor-induced parkinsonism. Neurology 1986;36:1074-8.
9. Miyagi Y, Morioka T, Otsuka M, Fukui M. Striatal glucose metabolism and (18F) fluorodopa uptake in a patient with tumor-induced hemiparkinsonism. Neurosurgery 1993; 32:838-41.
10. Taira T, Kawamura H, Tanikawa T, Iseki H, Amano K. Unexpected movement disorders in neurosurgical practice: report of three cases. Surg Neurol 1992; 38: 135-40.
11. Lesoin F, Thomas CE 3d, Montagne B, Destee A, Jomin M. Meningioma of the lesser sphenoid wing presenting like Parkinson's disease. Surg Neurol 1985; 23: 452-3.
12. Polyzoidis KS, McQueen JD, Rajput AH, MacFadyen DJ. Parkinsonism as a manifestation of brain tumor. Surg Neurol 1985;23:59-63.
13. Miethwenz D, Gopel W. Parkinson syndrome in parasagittal meningioma (case report) differential diagnosis for vascular degenerative Parkinson syndrome in the aged, ZFA 1983;38: 191-7.
14. Bhatoe HS. Movement disorders caused by brain tumours. Neurol India 1999; 47:40-2.
How to Cite
Articles must be contributed solely to The Thai Journal of Surgery and when published become the property of the Royal College of Surgeons of Thailand. The Royal College of Surgeons of Thailand reserves copyright on all published materials and such materials may not be reproduced in any form without the written permission.