Main Article Content
Advanced Practice Nurses have been expected to lead Thai clinical care into the future and help overcome the challenges of health care needs and high cost of care. However, the issues that these nurses face and how these issues impact their happiness at work remain elusive. This study explored the meaning, as well as the facilitators and barriers, of happiness at work among Advanced Practice Nurses. Qualitative, narrative inquiry comprising conversational interviews with 9 participants working at an advance-care level in Northern Thailand was undertaken. Constructivist theory guided data collection and analysis. The data analysis procedure took the interpretive, thematic approach suggested by Riessman.
From the participants’ narratives is derived their meaning of happiness at work, as well as the facilitators and barriers to their happiness. These are captured under three themes: 1) a lack of achievement perceived to be due to them having inadequate support systems and an imbalanced work life; 2) striving to be happy despite these constraints; and 3) their definition of happiness. The findings highlight the need for improving the explicit approach to career advancement and creating a supportive work environment for Advanced Practice Nurses. The findings also noted the desirable attributes of happiness at work which would appeal and attract nurses to become Advanced Practice Nurses and study a doctoral program in nursing in future.
Copyright: The Pacific Rim International Journal of Nursing Research, Thailand Nursing & Midwifery Council has exclusive rights to publish, reproduce and distribute the manuscript and all contents therein.
2. Hamric A B, Hanson CM, Tracy M F, O’ Grady ET. Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach (5th ed.). Elsevier; 2014, pp. 726 -727.
3. Hanucharurnkul S. Nurses in primary care and the nurse practitioner role in Thailand. Journal of contemporary nurse. 2007; 26 (1): 83 - 93. (in Thai).
4. Hanucharurnkul S, Punpakdee O. Advanced Practice Nursing: Integration to Practice. The Thai Nursing Council. Nonthaburee; 2010, pp. 39 - 56. (in Thai).
5. Luck L, Wilkes L, O’Baugh J. The role of a clinical nurse consultant in an Australian Health District: a quantitative survey. BMC Nurs. 2015;14(25): 2-7.
6. Rakhab A. Professional career pathway development of advanced practice nurses (APNs) in Thailand [Doctoral dissertation]. Nottingham: Lincoln University; 2015.
7. Chirawatkul S, Chinlumprasert N, Songwattana P, Deoisres W, Fongkaew W, Rungreangkulkij S. Nursing profession: a meaning in gender perspective. Thai J of Nurs Council. 2010; 26(2): 26-41. (in Thai).
8. Lungkapin P. Factors effect on transitioning from general to advanced practice nurses [Internet]. 2007 [cited 2015 Jul 22]. Available from: https://nurse.payap.ac.th/main/ APN.pdf
9. The College of Advanced Practice Nurse and Midwife of Thailand. The list of APNs candidates received written approval to show knowledge and specialized qualification in the year 2014. Thailand Nursing and Midwifery Council. [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2015 Oct 2]. Available from: https://www.apnthai.org/APNA/ pdf.
10. Chirawatkul S, Songwathana P, Fongkhew W, Deoisres W, Sindhu S, Chinlumprasert N, et al. Quality of life and factor influencing to quality of life and intent to stay of professional nurses. Bangkok: The Secretariat of the Senate; 2012. (in Thai).
11. Hanucharurnkul S. Board Certified Training Program in Advanced Nursing Practice College of Advanced Practice Nurse and Midwife, Thailand Nursing and Midwifery Council. Thai Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Practice. 2014; 1(1): 05-16. (in Thai).
12. Manion J. Joy at work!: creating a positive workplace. J Nurs Adm. 2003; 33(12): 652-9.
13. Pungsak P. Relationship between risk perception, work performance and joy at work among professional nurses in primary care unit, region 4 [Master’s thesis]. Nakhon Pathom : Mahidol University; 2009.
14. Oongkana K. Relationship between personal factors, selfesteem, work environment and joy at work of staff nurse private hospital [Master’s thesis]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University; 2006.
15. Jantarasri D. Relationship between self- esteem, job empowerment, team working and happiness at work of professional nurse, regional hospital in the eastern region. [Master’s thesis]. Chonburi: Burapa University; 2012.
16. Thepsuriwong T. Relationship between work factors, adversity quotient and happiness at work: a case study of nurse from private hospital [Master thesis]. Bangkok: Thammasart University; 2007.
17. Lertwiboonmongkol J. Relationship between personal factors, work empowerment, achievement motivation, and work happiness [Master’s thesis]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University; 2004.
18. Rodtiang N. Factors influence on happiness at work among personal in north-easternregion health promotion center [Master’s thesis]. Nakhon Pathom: Mahidol University; 2007.
19. Poorraksa P. Factors related to happiness at work of professional nurses at Mahasarakham hospital [Master’s thesis]. Chonburi: Burapa University; 2011.
20. Khumhome B. Factors influence on happiness at work among personal in Boromrajchonee nursing collage [Internet]. 2011 [cited 2015 Jul 22]. Available from: https://www. statssa.gov.za/isi2009/ScientificProgramme/IPMS/ 0602.pdf.
21. Geounuppakul M, Tounprommarat A. Factors influencing happiness in personal working at Boromarajonani college of nursing. Bangkok, Thailand. Available from: https://www. statssa.gov.za/isi2009/Scientific Programme /IPMS /0602.pdf.
22. Sudee L. Relationship between work motivation, social support, organization commitment, and work happiness of staff nurse, general hospital central region [Master’s thesis]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University; 2007.
23. Sriwong H. Relationship between work characteristic, job performances, organization climate and work happiness of emergency nurse at community hospitals in central region [Master’s thesis]. Chonburi: Burapa University; 2011.
24. Scott D. Happiness at work. Workforce advocacy; 2008.
25. Aiken L. Nurse staffing impact on organizational outcomes. In: Mason D, Leavitt J, Chaffee M, editors. Policy and politics in nursing and health care. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2007, pp. 550-559.
26. Colosi B., 2016 National Healthcare Retention & RN Staffing Report. NSI Nursing Solutions, Inc 2016 [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2017 Mar 15]. Available from: https://www.nsinursing solutions.com /Files/assets/library/retention institute/ NationalHealthcareRNRetentionReport 2016.pdf.
27. Bogaert PV, Peremans L, Heusden DV, Verspuy M, Kureckova V, et al. Predictors of burnout, work engagement and nurse reported job outcomes and quality of care: a mixed method study. BMC Nursing. 2017;16(1): 5, 1–14.
28. Nantsupawat A ., Kunaviktikul W., Nantsupawat R., Wichaikhum O.-A. ,.Thienthong H. & Poghosyan L. Effects of nurse work environment on job dissatisfaction, burnout, intention to leave. International Nursing Review. 2016; 64(1):91-98.
29. Chao, M., Shih, C.T., & Hsu, S.F. Nurse occupational burnout and patient-rated quality of care: The boundary conditions of emotional intelligence and demographic proﬁles. Japan Journal of Nursing Science. 2016; 13:156 - 165.
30. Kunaviktikul W, Wichaikhum O, Nantsupawat R, Chontawan R, Klunklin A, et al. Nurses’ extended work hours: Patient, nurse and organizational outcomes. International Council of Nurses. 2015; 26 (2):386–393.
31. Riessman CK. Narrative methods for the human sciences. London: Sage; 2008.
32. Guba EG, Lincoln YS. Naturalistic inquiry. Newbury Park, CA: Sage; 1985.
33. K Plager, M Conger. Advanced Practice Nursing: Constraints to Role Fulfillment. [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2016 Jan 28]. Available from: https://print.ispub.com/api/0/ispubarticle/3418
34. Wongkpratoom, S, Srisuphan, W, Senaratana, W, Nantachaipan. P., & Sritanyarat, W. Role development of advanced practice nurses in Thailand. Pacific Rim Int J Nurs Res, 2010; 14(2): 162-177.
35. Yildirim, D, and Aycan, Z. Nurses’ work demands and workfamily conflict: A questionnaire survey. [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2016 Jan 28]. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect. com/science/article/pii/S0020748907002544
36. TNMC. Summary the number of Thai APNs from 2003 to 2013. [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2015 Oct 2]. Available from: https://www.apnthai.org/CAPNT main/index.php? page _name=APNs
37. Promdecha. P. Predictive factors of advanced practice nurse-physician collaboration in patient care. Pacific Rim Int J of Nurs Res. 2014; 18(4): 333-342.
38. Gavin JH & Mason RO. The virtuous organization: The value of happiness in the workplace. Journal of Organization Dynamics. 2004; 33(1): 379-392.
39. Warr, PB. Work, happiness, and in happiness. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum; 2007.