Main Article Content
OBJECTIVES: To correlate the findings of Automated Breast Volume Scan (ABVS) and Hand-held Breast Ultrasound (HHUS), and to compare the benefits and drawbacks of each system as an adjunct to mammography.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: A total of 212 adult female patients underwent mammography in the Breast Center of Wattanosoth Hospital in 2010 followed by ABVS and HHUS was interpreted and reported by radiologists immediately. ABVS was interpreted and recorded by one radiologist 3 months later.
RESULTS: There were 504 lesions, interpreted as BIRADS 1 in 37 cases, BIRADS 2 (simple cyst) in 77 cases, BIRADS 3 in 63 cases, BIRADS 4 in 31 cases and BIRADS 5 in 4 cases. Both studies agreed in 306 lesions, there was agreement and ABVS showed additional lesions in 13 cases, the studies were not in agreement about 35 lesions. ABVS showed negative but HHUS showed positive in 24 lesions, HHUS showed negative but ABVS showed positive in 104 lesions although there were pitfalls in ABVS results in 24 lesions.
CONCLUSION: In our study, despite having some drawbacks with nipple artifacts, ABVS showed significant improvement in detection of breast cancer in as compared to HHUS, uncovering 12 additional suspicious lesions, and excluding 3 suspicious lesions. Patients also benefit from a shorter, more comfortable examination without exposure to radiation agents or the need to hold their breath.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Bhothisuwan W, Prabhasawat D, Bhothisuwan K. Lumps in the Breast: Correlation of Ultrasound and Mammog raphy Free Paper in UICC 1986, in K-47: Ultrasound Techniques, Guided Biopsy, article 3728.
3. Bhothisuwan W, Prabhasawat D, Bhothisuwan K. Imaging of Breast Lumps. Thai Medical Association Annual Meeting 3 1989:85-7.
4. Bhothisuwan W, Bhothisuwan K. MRI of Breast Lumps. A Correlation with other Breast Imaging, Gross Specimen and Pathology in Educational Lecture in AAR 1994:353.
5. Bhothisuwan W, Bhothisuwan K. Color Displayed MRI of the Breast in Free Paper in SIS in Brazil 1995.
6. Bhothisuwan W. Breast Imaging (in Thai) in Supakorn Rojananin, In Head, Neck and Breast Surgery, Bangkok Ruenkaew Publishing, 1995;1:299-319.
7. Bhothisuwan W, Bhothisuwan K. Breast Imaging and Intervention in Educational Lecture in AOCR 1998 session C07 article 2086.
8. Bhothisuwan W, Bhothisuwan K. Evidence Based Practicing Breast Imaging in Educational lecture: Breast Ultrasound Session, AFSUMB in Thailand 2007.
9. Statistic record and data system from Siriraj Breast Center 1995-2009.
10. Bhothisuwan W: Overview of Breast Imaging, Benefits and Drawbacks in Educational Lecture, WFUMB Center of Excellence Workshop on Breast Ultrasound in Bangladesh 2011.
11. Bhothisuwan W, Bhothisuwan K, Suwanakul P. Correla tion of ultrasound with pathology and mammography findings. J Med Assoc Thai 2004.
12. McSweeny MB, Murphy CH. Whole breast Sonography, in Symposium on Ultrasound of Small Parts. Radiol Clin North Am 1985;23:157-67.
13. Bhothisuwan W. Ultrasound of the Breast in Thailand, from Water Bag Technique to Colour Doppler Ultrasound in Panels and Oral Presentation EP 42 Ultrasound in Breast and Bone Diseases, AFSUMB in China 1995.
14. Bhothisuwan W. Evidence Based Benefits and Draw backs of Breast Ultrasound in Asian Women, Educational Lecture in 12th World Congress of the World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology in Australia 2009.
15. Bhothisuwan W. Correlation of Breast Ultrasound and Mammography in Educational lecture in ABDA with SIS in Indonesia 2010.
16. Bhothisuwan W, Maruekatat N. Early Detection of Breast Cancer Using Breast Ultrasound in Educational Lecture, Fifth Asian Workshop in Ultrasound, AFSUMB Workshop in Philippines 2008.
17. Bhothisuwan W, Bhothisuwan K, Suwanakul P. Axillary Lymph Node Ultrasound with FNA in Breast Cancer in Educational lecture: Indonesia Annual Scientific Meeting in Indonesia 2007.
18. Statistic record and data system from Siriraj Breast Center 2004.
19. Chou Y H, Tiu C M, Chen J, et al. Automated full-field Breast Ultrasonography: The Past and The Present. J Med Ultrasound 2007:15:31-44.
20. Bhothisuwan W. Highlight on breast US, new innovation and recent knowledge lesions in Educational Lecture MUST Annual Scientific Meeting in Thailand, 2009