Main Article Content
In 1958, a group of Swiss general and orthopedic surgeons established the AO (Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Osteosynthesefragen). Their mission was to transform fracture treatment in Switzerland, which at that point in time included prolonged bed rest in traction and subsequent application of a cast or splint, often resulting in poor functional results and lifelong disability. The “core group” of founders consisted of Maurice E. Müller, Hans Willenegger, Martin Allgöwer, and two other early members, Robert Schneider and Walter Bandi. Today, the AO Foundation (which was officially established in 1984) is a medically guided, global network with over 10,000 surgeons, in more than 100 countries. It is the world’s leading educational and research organization for trauma and musculoskeletal treatment and reflects a global knowledge network and interdisciplinary teamwork.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Communications & Publicity Committee. (2008). History of AO in the Asia Pasific Region. AO Asia Pasific.
3. Schlich, T. (2002) Surgery, Science and Industry A Revolution in Fracture Care, 1950s-1990s, Great Britain, Antony Rowe Ltd, Palgrave Macmillan
4. Heim, Urs F.A. (2001) The AO phenomenon: Foundation and early years of the Association for the Study of International Fixation (ASIF) , Toronto, Huber