Main Article Content
OBJECTIVE: To study the preliminary results of 20 patients who underwent Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF) and were followed up for more than 6 months at the Bangkok Spine Academy.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: Study of the preliminary results and retrospective chart review of collected clinical and radiographic outcomes in 20 patients who underwent ALIF L1-L5 at Bangkok Hospital from April 2011 to April 2013 as a treatment for degenerative disc disease, spondylolisthesis, recurrent disc herniation and failed back surgery syndrome. Treatment involved using a stand-alone polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage and an anterior plate construct (Synx®, Synthes spine, PA, USA).
RESULTS: Of 22 patients who underwent ALIF surgery between April 2011 and April 2013 two were excluded from this series. The remaining 20 cases were followed up regularly until the fusion was complete.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Burkus JK, Gornet MF, Dickman CA, et al. Anterior lumbar interbody fusion using rhBMP-2 with tapered interbody cages. J Spinal Disord Tech 2002;15:337-49.
3. Voor MJ, Mehta S, Wang M, et al. Biomechanical evaluation of posterior and anterior lumbar interbody fusion techniques. J Spinal Disord 1998;11:328-34.
4. Lane JD Jr, Moore ES Jr. Transperitoneal approach to the intervertebral disc in the lumbar area. Ann Surg 1948;127:537-51.
5. Capener N. Spondylolisthesis. BJS 1932;19:374-86.
6. Mercer W. Spondylolisthesis with a description of a new method of operative treatment and notes of ten cases. Edin Med J 1936;43:545-72.
7. Friberg S. Low back and sciatic pain caused by intervertebral disc herniation: anatomic and clinical investigation. Acta Chir Scand 1941;64:85.
8. Merle d’Aubigne R, Cauchoix J, Faulong M. Anterior transperitoneal arthrodesis in the therapy of spondylolisthesis. Rev Orthop Chir Appar Mot 1950;36:490-4.
9. Lwahara T. A new method of vertebral body fusion. Surgery (Japan)1944;8:271-87.
10. Cho CB, Ryu KS, Park CK. Anterior lumbar interbody fusion with stand-alone interbody cage in treatment of lumbar intervertebral foraminal stenosis: comparative study of two different types of cages. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2010;47:352-7.
11. Burkus JK, Transfeldt EE, Kitchel SH, et al. Clinical and radiographic outcomes of anterior lumbar interbody fusion using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2. Spine 2002;27:2396-408.
12. Lowe TG, Hashim S, Wilson LA, et al. A biomechanical study of regional endplate strength and cage morphology as it relates to structural interbody support. Spine 2004;2 9:2389-94.
13. Evans JH. Biomechnics of lumbar fusion. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1985;193:38-46.
14. Jiang SD, Chen JW, Jiang LS. Which procedure is better for lumbar interbody fusion: anterior lumbar interbody fusion or transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion? Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2012;132:1259-66.
15. Crock HV. Anterior lumbar interbody fusion: indications for its use and notes on surgical technique. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1982;165:157-63.
16. Resnick DK, Choudhri TF, Dailey AT, et al. Guidelines for the performance of fusion procedures for degeneraive disease of the lumbar spine. Part 11: interbody techniques for lumbar fusion. J Neurosurg Spine 2005;2:692-9.
17. Penta M, Sandhu A, Fraser RD. Magnetic resonance imaging assessment of disc degeneration 10 years after anterior lumbar interbody fusion. Spine 1995;20:743-7.
18. Hsieh PC, Koski TR, O’Shaughnessy BA, et al. Anterior lumbar interbody fusion in comparison with transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion: implications for the restoration of foraminal height, local disc angle, lumbar lordosis, and sagittal balance. J Neurosurg Spine 2007;7:379-86.
19. Videman T, Battié MC, Gibbons LE, et al. Associations between back pain history and lumbar MRI findings. Spine 2003;28:582-8.
20. Schneiderman G, Flannigan B, Kingston S, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging in diagnosis of disc degeneration: correlation with discography. Spine 1987;12:276-81.
21. Greenough CG, Peterson MD, Hadlow S, et al. Instru mented posterolateral lumbar fusion: Results and comparison with anterior interbody fusion. Spine 1998;23:479-86.
22. Quraishi NA, Konig M, Booker SJ, et al. Access re lated complications in anterior lumbar surgery performed by spinal surgeons. Eur Spine J 2013;22:S16-20.
23. Dwyer AP, Elliott JP. Anterior lumbar interbody fusion. Surgical Techniques for the Spine 2003:235-41.
24. Fantini GA, Pawar AY. Access related complications during anterior exposure of the lumbar spine. World J Orthop 2013;4:19-23.