Main Article Content
Community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) is an important cause of morbidity and mortality in all age groups throughout the world. Bacterial pneumonia is the most described, with Streptococcus pneumoniae being the most important pathogen in all age groups. Viruses are also recognised as important causes of CAP both in children and adults. Viral pneumonia account for 13 - 50% of single pathogen diagnosed community-acquired pneumonia cases and 8 -27% of mixed bacterial-viral pneumonia.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Marcos MA, Camps M, Pumarola T, et al. The role of viruses in the aetiology of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Antivir Ther 2006;11:351-9.
3. empleton KE, Scheltinga SA, van den Eeden WC, et al. Improved diagnosis of the etiology of community-acquired pneumonia with real-time polymerase chain reaction. Clin Infect Dis 2005;41:345-51.
4. Johnstone J, Majumdar SR, Fox JD, et al. Viral infection in adults hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia: prevalence, pathogens, and presentation. Chest 2008;134:1141-8.
5. Van den Hoogen BG, de Jong JC, Groen J, et al. A newly discovered human pneumovirus isolated from young children with respiratory tract disease. Nat Med 2001;7: 719-24.
6. Leung J, Esper F, Weibel C, et al. Seroepidemiology of human metapneumovirus (hMPV) on the basis of a novel enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay utilizing hMPV fusion protein expressed in recombinant vesicular stomatitis virus. J Clin Microbiol 2005;43:1213-9.
7. Ebihara T, Endo R, Kikuta H, et al. Seroprevalence of human Metapneumovirus in Japan. J Med Virol 2003;70: 281-3.
8. Kahn JS. Epidemiology of human Metapneumovirus. Clin Microbiol Rev 2006; 19:546-57.
9. Hamelin ME, Abed Y, Boivin G. Human Metapneumo virus: a new player among respiratory viruses.Clin Infect Dis 2004; 38:983-90.
10. Haas LE, Thijsen SF, Van Elden L, et al. Human Meta pneumovirus in adults. Viruses 2013; 5:87-110.
11. Walsj EE, Peterson DR, Falsey AR. Human Metapneumo virus infections in adults: another piece of the puzzle. Arch Intern Med 2008;168:2489-96.
12. Peiris JS, Tang WH, Chan KH, et al. Children with respiratory disease associated with Metapneumovirus in Hong Kong. Emerg Infect Dis 2003; 9:628-33.
13. Haas LE, de Rijk NX, Thijsen SF. Human Metapneumovirus infections on the ICU: a report of three cases. Ann Intensive Care 2012; 2:30.
14. Marie-E`ve Hamelin, Yacine Abed, Guy Boivin. Human Metapneumovirus: A New Player among Respiratory Viruses. Emerging Infections 2004;38: 983-90.