Main Article Content
Fulminant myocarditis refers to acute myocarditis with abrupt onset of severe cardiogenic shock and circulatory collapse. Once regarded as a disease with uniformly high mortality, fulminant myocarditis is now a potentially treatable condition, thanks to advances in intensive care and mechanical circulatory support. We report our first pediatric case of fulminant myocarditis rescued by extracorporeal membrane oxygenator (ECMO) and continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT).
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Puenpa J, Theamboonlers A, Korkong S, et al. Molecula characterization and complete genome analysis of human enterovrus 71 and coxsackievirus A16 from children with hand, foot and mouth disease during 2008- 2011. Arch Virol 2011;156:2007-13.
3. Olsen EG. Morphological aspetcs of myocarditis and pericarditis. Eur Heart J 1987;23:11-7.
4. Saji T, Matsuura H, Hasegawa K, et al. Comparison of the clinical presentation, treatment, and outcome of fulminant and acute myocarditis in children. Circ J 2012;76:1222-8.
5. Wilmot I, Morales DL, Price JF, et al. Effectiveness of mechanical circulatory support in children with acute fulminant and persistent myocarditis. J Card Fail 2011;17:487-94.
6. Nahum E, Dagan O, Lev A, et al. Favorable outcome of pediatric fulminant myocarditis supported by extracorporeal membranous oxygenation. Pediatr Cardiol 2010;31:1059-63.
7. Wu ET, Huang SC, Chen YS, et al. Children with fulminant myocarditis rescued with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Heart 2006;92:1325-6.
8. Smith AH, Hardison DC, Worden CR, et al. Acute renal failure during extracorporeal support in the pediatric cardiac patient. ASAIO J 2009;55:412-6.
9. Paden ML, Warshaw BL, Heard ML, et al. Recovery of renal function and survival after continuous renal replacement therapy during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2011;12:153-8.
10. Santiago MJ, Sánchez A, López-Herce J, et al. The use of continuous renal replacement therapy in series with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Kidney Int 2009; 76:1289-92.
11. Zeng H, Wen F, Gan Y, et al. MRI and associated clinical characteristics of EV71-induced brainstem encephalitis in children with hand-foot-mouth disease. Neuroradiology 2012;54:623-30.