Main Article Content
In 1921,scientists discovered that sunlight helped strengthen bones and prevented Rickets in childhood and Osteomalacia in adulthood.1 Moreover, sunlight supported our bodies in creating vitamin D. Scientists also found that fish liver oil contains vitamin D. The United State (U.S.) has been supplementing vitamin D in milk and various foods since 1930, which has reduced the incidence of Rickets and Osteomalacia.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Vitamin D and your health: Breaking old rules, raising new hopes. Harv Mens Health Watch 2007;11:1-5.
3. Dietary supplement fact sheet: Vitamin D. (Accessed May 9, 2013, at http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminDHealth Professional/)
4. Holick FM. Vitamin D deficiency. New Engl J Med 2007;357:266-81.
5. Drezner MK. Patient information: vitamin D deficiency. (Accessed May 14, 2013, at http://www.uptodate.com/ contents/vitamin-d-deficiency-beyond-the-basics)
6. What causes vitamin D3 deficiency? (Accessed May 9, 2013, at http://www.d3drops.com.au/findout/what-causes
8. Krawitt EL, Grundman MJ, Mawer EB. Absorption, hydroxylation, and excretion of vitamin D3 in primary biliary cirrhosis. Lancet 1977;2:1246-9.