Main Article Content
Diabetes mellitus (DM) has become a major public health problem around the world. According to statistics from the World Health Organization (WHO) Diabetes Fact Sheet, this disease currently affects 347 million people worldwide. Due to the increasing burden of diabetes patients, an excellent diabetes care center is needed to provide international standard quality care. To address this need, the Bangkok Hospital Medical Center (BMC)’s Diabetes Center applied for the Joint Commission International (JCI) Condition-Specific Certification (DCSC) Program for a DM Type 2 Pathway. The certification was awarded to the BMC in November 2011. Soon after, we achieved all the target performance indicators recommended by JCI, and we gradually added further performance indicators at our diabetes clinic. We are ready for re-certification this coming November 2014.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. More information on the National Committee for Quality Assurance, visit: http://www.ncqa.org/AboutNCQA.aspx
3. Ibrahim IA, Beich j, Sidorov J, et al. Measuring Outcomes of Type 2 Diabetes Disease Management Program in an HMO Setting. South Med J 2002;95:78-87.
4. National Committee for Quality Assurance. Diabetes Recognition Program (DRPX workshop handout. April 2011.
5. Nicolucci IA, Greenfield S, Mattke S. Selecting indicators for the quality of diabetes care at the health system level in OECD countries. Int J Qual Health Care 2006;18:26-30
6. Rossi MC, Nicolucci A, Arcangeli A, et al. Associazione Medici Diabetologi Annals Study Group. Baseline quality- of-care data from a quality-improvement program imple- mented by a network of diabetes outpatient clinics. Diabetes Care 2008;31:2166-8.
7. Scanlon DP, Darby C, Rolph E, Doty HE. The role of performance measures for improving quality in managed care organizations. Health Serv Res 2001;36:619-41.
Scanlon DP, Hendrix TJ. Health planaccreditation: NCQA, JCAHO, or both? Managed Care Quarterly 1995; 6:52-61. 1998 Aspen Publishers, Inc