Main Article Content
Narrowing of the airway caused by several factors is a serious condition manifesting different signs and symptoms. Immediate attention is needed and treatment must be performed as this is a life-threatening condition. In the past decade, there have been massive advancements in the management of airway stenosis. Some of these are stent placement, tracheal reconstruction and tumor debulking. This article focuses on six different cases with distinct strategies in conducting treatment.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Grenier PA, Beigelman-AUbry C, Brillet PY. Nonneo-plastic tracheal and bronchial stenosis. Radiol Clin North Am 2009;47:243-60.
3. Balazas A, Kupcsulik PK, Galambos Z. Esophagorespi-ratory fistulae of timorous origin:nonoperative management of 264 cases in a 20 year period. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 34:1103-7.
4. Burt M, Diehl W, Martini N. et al. Malignant esophagore-spiratory fistula: management options and survival. Ann Thorac Surg 1991;52:1222-9.
5. Reed MF, Mathisen DJ. Tracheoesophageal fistula. Chest Surg Clin N Am 2003;13:271-289.
6. Rodriguez AN, Diaz-Jimenez JP. Malignant respiratory-digestive fistulas. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2012;16:329-33.
7. Shin JH, Song HY, Ko GY, et al. Esophagorespiratory fistula: long term results of palliative treatment with covered expandable metallic stents in 61 patients. Radiology 2004;232:252-9.
8. Choi MK, Park YH, HONG JY, et al. Clinical implications of esophagorespiratory fistulae in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (SCCA). Med Oncol 2010;27:1234-8.
9. Puchalski J, Musani A. Tracheobronchial Stenosis Causes and Advances in Management. Clin Chest Med 2013;34:557-67.
10. Yamamoto K, Kojima F, Tomiyama K, et al. Meta-analysis of therapeutic procedures for acquired subglottic stenosis in adults. Ann Thorac Surg 2011;91:1747-53.
11. Su S, Cooper JD. Management of Tracheal Stenosis. Chest Wall, Mediastinum and Trachea:684-9.
12. Shiraishi T, Yanagisawa J, Higuchi T, et al. Tracheal resection for malignant and benign diseases: surgical results and perioperative considerations. Surg Today 2011;41:490-5.