Main Article Content
Beta-amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles have been known as the neuro- pathological hallmarks of Alzheimer’s disease. 11C Pittsburgh Compound B (PiB) ([C-11]PiB) is the first successful and well-studied radiopharmaceutical for Positron Emission Tomography (PET) imaging of beta-amyloid deposition in the brain. Although [C-11]PiB has been used in western countries since 2002, Wattanosoth Hospital was the only center with the capacity to produce [C-11]PiB in South-East Asia in 2012. This article describes briefly the challenges the PET radiopharmaceutical team at Wattanosoth Hospital have been facing in the production of [C-11]PiB. It also provides a brief protocol used here for production of [C-11]PiB.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. National Center for Health Statistics. Detailed Tables for the National Vital Statistics Report; Deaths: final Data for 2010, (Accessed July 20,2014 at http://www.cdc.gov/ nchs/data/deaths_2010_release.pdf.)
3. Jack CR, Albert MS, Knopman DS, et al. Inroduction to the recommendations from the National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer’s Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement 2011;7:257-62.
4. McKhann GM, Knopman DS, Chertkow H, et al. The diagnosis of dementia due to Alzheimer’s disease: Recommendations from the National Institute on Aging- Alzheimer’s Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement 2011;7:263-9.
5. Albert MS, DeKosky ST, Dickson D, et al., The diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment due to Alzheimer’s disease: Recommendations from the National Institute on Aging- Alzheimer’s Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement 2011;7:270-9.
6. Sperling RA, Aisen PS, Beckett LA, et al. Toward defining the preclinical stages of Alzheimer’s disease: Recom- mendations from the National Institute on Aging- Alzheimer’s Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement 2011;7:280-92.
7. Price JC, Klunk WE, Lopresti BJ, et al. Kinetic modeling of amyloid binding in humans using PET imaging and Pittsburgh Compound-B. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2005;25:1528-47.
8. Ikonomovic MD, Klunk WE, Abrahamson EE, et al. Post-mortem correlates of in vivo PiB-PET amyloid imaging in a typical case of Alzheimer’s disease. Brain 2008;131:1630-45.
9. Klunk WE, Engler H, Nordberg A, et al. Imaging brain amyloid in Alzheimer’s disease with Pittsburgh com- pound-B. Ann Neurol 2004;55:306-19.
10. Rowe CC, Villemagne VL. Brain Amyloid Imaging.J Nucl Med 2011;52:1733-40.
11. Rowe CC, NG S, Ackermann U, et al., Imaging b-amyloid burden in aging and dementia. Neurology 2007;68;1718-25.
12. Edison P, Archer HA, Hinz R, et al. Amyloid hypome- tabolism and cognition in Alzheimer disease: an [11C] PIB and [18F]FDG PET study. Neurology 2007;68:501-98.
13. Kemppainen NM, Aalto S, Wilson IA, et al. Voxel-based analysis of PET amyloid ligan [11C]PIB uptake in Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2006;67:1575-80.
14. Nordberg A. PET imaging of amyloid in Alzheimer’s disease. Lancet Neurol 2004; 3: 519-27.
15. Devanand DP, Mikhno A, Pelton GH, et al. Pittsburgh compound B (11C-PIB) and fluorodeoxyglucose (18 F-FDG) PET in patient with Alzheimer disease, mild cognitive impairment, and healthy controls. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 2010;23: 185-98.
16. Klunk WE, Wang Y, Huang GF, et al. The binding of 2-(4’-methylaminophenyl) benzothiazole to postmortem brain homogenates is dominated by the amyloid component. J Neurosci 2003;23:2086-92.
17. Mathis CA, Bacskai BJ, Kajdasz ST, et al. A lipophilic thioflavin-T derivative for positron emission tomography (PET) imaging of amyloid in brain. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2002;12:295-8.
18. International Atomic Energy Agency. Cyclotron produced radionuclides: physical characteristics and production methods. Technical Reports Series No. 468. 2009 (Accessed July 25, 2014 at http://www-pub.iaea.org/ MTCD/publications/PDF/trs468_web.pdf).