Main Article Content
OBJECTIVE: This research aimed to study the resilience of elderly patients with endstage renal disease (ESRD) and its related factors towards hope, self-efficacy, optimism,and family relationships
RESEARCH TOOLS AND METHOD: This present study is a piece of descriptivecorrelation research. The samples included ninety-seven elderly patients who werediagnosed with ESRD and treated at the Outpatient Department, Chronic Kidney Diseaseand Artificial Kidney 1 Clinic, Sakaeo Crown Prince Hospital. The data were collectedusing interviews, and they were then analyzed with descriptive statistics and Pearson’sCorrelation Coefficient.
RESULTS: The findings revealed that the studied samples had moderate resilience(71.1%). A significant positive correlation was found between resilience and hope(r = 0.536, p < 0.001) family relationships (r = 0.449, p < 0.001) and self-efficacy(r = 0.349, p < 0.001). While, optimism (r = 0.289, p = 0.004) was found as a lowpositive correlation to resilience among the elderly people with ESRD
CONCLUSION: Among the elderly patients with ESRD in this study, a significantpositive correlation was found between resilience and hope, self-efficacy, optimism, andfamily relationships. Therefore, nurses or healthcare professionals who are taking careof elderly patients with ESRD should focus on those factors to promote resilience amongpatients with ESRD.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcome. Clinical practice guideline for the management of blood pressure in chronic kidney disease. Kidney Inter Suppl 2012;3:1-150.
3. Somma C, Trillini M, Kasa M, et al. Managing end stage renal disease in the elderly. Aging Health 2013;9(5):539-52.
4. Nitta K, Kazuyoshi O, Yanai O, et al. Aging and Chronic Kidney Disease. Kidney Blood Press Res 2014;38(1):109-20.
5. Ardkhitkarn S. Self-management behaviors and predicting factor in elders with end stage renal disease undergoing continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Nurs J Thai 2013;40:22-32.
6. McCurdy. Factors related to depression in end stage renal disease patients (Thesis Master of Psychology) Chattanooga: Tennessee University; 2014.
7. Iamong S, Tangsangaa K, Jittinan A, et al, editors. Textbook of peritoneal dialysis. Bangkok: Text & Jernal Plublication; 2008. (in Thai).
8. Puengchompoo W. Situation of palliative care in Thai elderly patients with end stage renal disease. Nurs J Thai 2014;41(4):167-77.
9. Gooding PA, Hurst A, Johnson J, et al. Psychological resilience in young and older adults. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2012;27:262-70.
10. Grotberg EH. Resilence for today. Westport, London: Praeger; 2003.
11. Sansuk T. Resilience experiences of elderly in tsunami disaster. J Health Sci Thai 2009;18(1):33-42.
12. Isingrini E, Perret L, Rainer Q, et al. Resilience to chronic stress is mediated by noradrenergic regulation of dopamine neurons. Nat Neuro Sci 2016;19(4):560-3.
13. Khongphaisansophon A. Factor related to resilience among older persons with major depressive disorder. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs Thai 2016; 30(2):127-42.
14. Parayat C. Predictive factors of Resilience among elderly. J Fac Nurs BUU Thai 2016;24(2):97-106.
15. Chronic Kidney Disease Department. Statistical chronic kidney disease. Sakaeo: Sakaeo Crown Prince Hospital; 2015.
16. Bunyatnopparat K, Anutrakulchai S. Factors associated with life quality of hemodialysis patients. SMJ Thai 2016; 32(1):2-9.
17. Upadhyaya AK, Rajagopal M, Gale TM. The Six item cognitive impairment test (6-CIT) as a screening test for dementia: Comparison with Mini-Mental State Examination [MMSE]. Aging Sci 2010;3(2):138-42.
18. Wongparuk N. Mental health status, hope, and self-care behaviors regarding mental health of elderly in Maha Sarakham municipality. KKU J Public Health Res Thai 2013;6(1):141-50.
19. Khamkaew N. Factors predicting health promoting behaviors among the elderly with chronic renal failure. Nurs J Thai 2006;33(3):105-16.
20. Saenpunya K. Death anxiety, optimism, spiritual well-being and adjustment to death of elderly with chronic Illness at geriatric clinic, phranangklao hospital nonthaburi province. BSp Thai 2010;26(2):25-30.
21. Chinsangnet P. Life satisfaction of the elderly and its relation with self-care behaviors and the family relationship in eastern seaboard of chonburi (Thesis Master of Public Health: Family Health) Bangkok: Mahidol University; 1995.
22. Maneerat S. Development and psychometric evaluation of Thai elderly resilence scale (Thesis of Doctoral of dissertation Nursing). Songkla: Prince of Songkla University; 2011.
23. Cohen O, Geva D, Lahad M, et al. Community resilience throughout the lifespan-the potential contribution of healthy elders. Plos One 2016;11(2):1-14.
24. Macleod S, Musich S, Hawkins K, et al. The impact of resilience among older adults. Geriatr Nurs 2016;37(4):266-72.
25. Toukhsati SR, Jovanovic A, Dehghani S, et al. Low Psychological Resilience with Associated with Depression in patients with Cardiovascular Disease. EJCN 2016;16:64-9.
26. Amabile M, Altieri S, Mastroluca D, et al. Effect of underlying renal disease on nutritional and metabolic profile of older adults with reduced renal function. Front Nutr 2017;4(4):1-6.
27. Ingsathit A, Thakkinstian A, Chaiprasert A, et al. Prevalence and risk factor of chronic kidney disease in the Thai adult population: Thai SEEK study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010;25(5):1567-75.
28. Edward K. Chronic illness and wellbeing: using nursing practice to foster resilience as resistance. Br J Nurs 2013;22(13):741-6.
29. Hochhalter AK, Smith, ML, Ory MG. Successful aging and resilience: Applications for public health and health care. A&M Health Science Center, USA: Scott & White Healthcare; 2011:15-29.
30. Mi-Seon B, Ji-Hyun. Factor Influencing on Resilience of Elderly Gastric Cancer Patients. Asian Oncol Nurs 2017;17(3):170-9.
31. Bolton KW, Praetorius RT, Smith-Osborne A. Resilience protective factor in an older adult population: A qualitative interpretive meta-synthesis. Soc Work Res 2016;40(3):171-82.
32. Duan-Porter, Cohen HJ, Demark-Wahnefried W, et al. Physical resilience of older cancer survivors: An emerging concept. J Geriatr Oncol 2016;7(6):471-8.
33. Rutten BP, Hammels C, Geschwind N, et al. Resilience in mental health: linking psychological and neurobiological perspectives. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2013;28(1):3-20.
34. Mckibbin C, Lee A, Steinman BA, et al. Health status and social networks as predictor of resilience in older adult residing in rural and remote environments. J Aging Res 2016:8;2016:1-8