Main Article Content
We report a case of a 70-year-old Thai woman with severe fever and thrombocytopenia syndrome, who had lost all seven of her cats from sickness over a week. Diagnosis was established by the detection of viral RNA in serum via real-time polymerase chain reaction. Her symptoms improved after taking doxycycline orally and supportive treatment.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Yu XJ, Liang MF, Zhang SY, et al. Fever with thrombocytopenia associated with a novel bunyavirus in China. N Engl J Med. 2011; 364:1523-32.
3. Shin J, Kwon D, Youn SK, et al. Characteristics and factors associated with death among patients hospitalized for severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome, South Korea, 2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015; 21:1704-10.
4. Jimin Sun, Zhenyu Gong, Feng Ling, et al. Factors associated with Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome infection and fatal outcome. Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 33175.
5. Tran XC, Yun Y, Van An L, et al. Endemic Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome, Vietnam. Emerg Infect Dis 2019; 25:1029.
6. Liu Y, Huang XY, Du YH, et al. Survey on ticks and detection of new bunyavirus in some vect in the endemic areas of fever, thrombocytopenia and leukopenia syndrome (FTLS) in Henan province. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 2012; 46:500.
7. Jiang XL, Wang XJ, Li JD, et al. Isolation, identification and characterization of SFTS bunyavirus from ticks collected on the surface of domestic animals. Bing Du Xue Bao 2012; 28:252.
8. Chen H, Hu K, Zou J, Xiao J. A cluster of cases of human-to-human transmission caused by severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus. Int J Infect Dis 2013; 17:e206.
9. Chen Y, Jia B, Huang R, et al. Occupational Severe Fever With Thrombocytopenia Syndrome Following Needle-Stick Injury. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2017; :1.
10. Park SY, Kwon JS, Kim JY, et al. Severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome-associated encephalopathy/encephalitis. Clin Microbiol Infect 2018; 24:432.e1.
11. Wi YM, Woo HI, Park D, et al. Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome in Patients Suspected of Having Scrub Typhus. Emerg Infect Dis 2016; 22:1992.
12. Qing-Bin Lu, Hao Li, Pan-He Zhang, et al. Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome Complicated by Co-infection with Spotted Fever Group Rickettsiae, China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016 Nov; 22(11): 1957–1960.