Main Article Content
A case report of oral malignant melanoma (OMM). An 84-year-old male patient presented with enlarged, swollen anterior left upper gingiva with mild pain lasting eight weeks from the lower occluded teeth. Histopathological examination and immunohistochemical studies confirm OMM.
OMM, a neoplasm of melanocytes, is a rare aggressive tumor of the oral cavity. This paper aims to explain and discuss the clinical features, histopathology and immunohistochemical studies of OMM.
MATERIAL AND METHODS:
We report on a case of OMM treated at our institute. An oral examination, differential diagnosis and biopsy were performed for a definitive diagnosis. RESULTS: Histopathological examination showed sheets of atypical melanocytic tumor cells with abundant cytoplasmic pigmentation. The tumor cells were positive for S-100 protein, HMB-45 and MART 1 or Melan A. A final diagnosis of OMM was made.
OMM is a rare tumor of the oral cavity with a poor prognosis; although an aggressive treatment is available to patients. Early diagnosis and aggressive multimodal treatment are important ways for surgeons to achieve a better outcome for patients with OMM.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al. Cancer statistics, CA Cancer J Clin 2009;59:225-49.
3. Hicks MJ, Flaitz CM. Oral mucosal melanoma: epidemio- logy and pathobiology. Oral Oncol 2000;36:152-69.
4. Gu GM, Epstein JB, Morton TH Jr. Intraoral melanoma: longterm follow-up and implication for dental clinicians. A case report and literature review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2003;96:404-13.
5. Chang AE, Karnell LH, Menck HR. The National Cancer Data Base report on cutaneous and noncutaneous mela- noma: a summary of 84,836 cases from the past decade. The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and the American Cancer Society. Cancer 1998; 83:1664-78.
6. Martınez EA, Alonso FC, Siles MS, et al. Melanoma of the oral mucosa with cerebral metastasis: a clinical case. Oral Oncology EXTRA 2005;41:30-3.
7. Meleti M, Leemans CR, Mooi WJ, et al. Oral malignant melanoma: a review of the literature. Oral Oncol 2007; 43:116-21.
8. Rapini RP, Golitz LE, Greer RO, et al. Primary malignant melanoma of the oral cavity. A review of 177 cases. Cancer 1985;55:1543-51.
9. Prasad ML, Jungbluth AA, Patel SG, et al. Expression and significance of cancer testis antigens in primary mucosal melanoma of the head and neck. Head Neck 2004;26:1053-7.
10. Tacastacas JD, Bray J, Cohen YK, et al. Update on primary mucosal melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014;71:366-75.
11. Korabiowska M, Brinck U, Hoenig JF, et al. Significance of P-53 antigen in malignant melanomas and naevi of the head and neck area. Anticancer Res 1995;15:885-9.
12. Chaudhry AP, Hampel A, Gorlin RJ. Primary malignant melanoma of the oral cavity: a review of 105 cases. Cancer 1958;11:923-8.
13. Barker BF, Carpenter WM, Daniels TE, et al. Oral mucosal melanomas: the WESTOP Banff workshop proceedings. Western Society of Teachers of Oral Pathology. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1997;83:672-9.
14. Tanaka N, Mimura M, Kimijima Y, et al. Clinical inves- tigation of amelanotic malignant melanoma in the oral region. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004;62:933-7. Oral Malignant Melanoma of the Maxilla: A Case Report
15. Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, et al. Epithelial patho- logy. Chapter 10. In Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Elsevier, 2009;362-452.
16. Prasad ML, Patel SG, Busam KJ. Primary mucosal desmoplastic melanoma of the head and neck. Head Neck 2004;26:373-7.
17. Messina JL, Glass LF, Cruse CW, et al. Pathologic examination of the sentinel lymph node in malignant melanoma. Am J Surg Pathol 1999:23;686-90.
18. Casiraghi O, Lefèvre M. Undifferentiated malignant round cell tumors of the sinonasal tract and nasopharynx. Ann Pathol 2009;29:296-312.
19. Strauss J, Strauss S. Oral malignant melanoma: a case report and review of the literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994;52:972-6.
20. Magliocca KR, Rand MK, Su LD, et al. Helman. Mela- noma-in-situ of the oral cavity. Oral Oncology EXTRA 2006:42;46-8.
21. Rapidis AD, Apostolidis C, Vilos G, et al. Primary malignant melanoma of the oral mucosa. J Oral Maxil- lofac Surg 2003;61:1132-9.