Main Article Content
Health literacy is an important topic in people living with human immune deficiency virus (HIV). This review examined factors associated with health literacy among people living with HIV. We searched the literature available from PubMed and Scopus-Elsevier. Compound terms “health literacy” and “HIV health literacy” were employed to retrieve the relevant literature. The terms were typed in the following fields: article title, abstract and key words through the Boolean operator “AND”. We limited our searches to articles published in the period between 1993 and 2017 and in the English language. Factors associated with health literacy were critically reviewed and categorized. A total of 40 articles met inclusion criteria and were included in this literature review. They were clinical trials (n = 28), cross-sectional (n = 10) and pilot (n = 2) studies. The majority of the studies (68.42%) were conducted in the United States (US), while the rest were conducted in Africa. Whether gender plays a role in health literacy among people living with HIV was inconclusive. Factors associated with HIV health literacy among people living with HIV included education, age, and race. These factors could be used to predict the level of health literacy among people living with HIV. Further research conducted in other geographical regions is needed, given limited generalizability of these published articles’ results.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Rothman RL, Montori VM, Cherrington A, et al. Perspective: the role of numeracy in health care. J Health Commun. 2008;13(6):583-95.
3. Tique JA, Howard LM, Gaveta S, et al. Measuring health literacy among adults with HIV infection in Mozambique: Development and validation of the HIV literacy test. AIDS Behav. 2017;21(3):822-32.
4. Gazmararian JA, Baker DW, Williams MV, Parker RM, Scott TL, Green DC, et al. Health literacy among Medicare enrollees in a managed care organization. JAMA. 1999;281(6):545-51.
5. Sudore RL, Mehta KM, Simonsick EM, et al. Limited literacy in older people and disparities in health and healthcare access. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54(5):770-6.
6. Davis TC, Wolf MS, Bass PF, 3rd, Middlebrooks M, Kennen E, Baker DW, et al. Low literacy impairs comprehension of prescription drug warning labels. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21(8):847-51.
7. Georges CA, Bolton LB, Bennett C. Functional health literacy: an issue in African American and other ethnic and racial communities. J Natl Black Nurses Assoc. 2004;15(1):1 -4.
8. Wolf MS, Davis TC, Tilson HH, Bass PF, 3rd, Parker RM. Misunderstanding of prescription drug warning labels among patients with low literacy. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2006;63(11):1048-55.
9. Wolf MS, Davis TC, Arozullah A, et al. Relation between literacy and HIV treatment knowledge among patients on HAART regimens. AIDS care. 2005;17(7):863-73.
10. Baker DW, Wolf MS, Feinglass J, et al. Health literacy and mortality among elderly persons. J Gen Intern Med. 2007;167(14):1503-9.
11. Kalichman SC, Benotsch E, Suarez T, et al. Health literacy and health-related knowledge among persons living with HIV/AIDS. Am J Prev Med. 2000;18(4):325-31.
12. Kalichman SC, Ramachandran B, Catz S. Adherence to combination antiretroviral therapies in HIV patients of low health literacy. J Gen Intern Med. 1999;14(5):267-73.
13. Kalichman SC, Cherry J, Cain D. Nurse-delivered antiretroviral treatment adherence intervention for people with low literacy skills and living with HIV/AIDS. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2005;16(5):3-15.
14. Osborn CY, Paasche-Orlow MK, Davis TC, et al. Health literacy: an overlooked factor in understanding HIV health disparities. Am J Prev Med. 2007;33(5):374-8.
15. Wolf MS, Davis TC, Osborn CY, et al. Literacy, self-efficacy, and HIV medication adherence. Patient Educ Couns. 2007;65(2):253-60.
16. Keikelame MJ, Swartz L. Lost opportunities to improve health literacy: observations in a chronic illness clinic providing care for patients with epilepsy in Cape Town South Africa. Epilepsy Behav. 2013;26(1):36-41.
17. Waldrop-Valverde D, Jones DL, Gould F, et al. Neurocognition, health-related reading literacy, and numeracy in medication management for HIV infection. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010;24(8):477-84.
18. Waldrop-Valverde D, Osborn CY, Rodriguez A, et al. Numeracy skills explain racial differences in HIV medication management. AIDS Behav. 2010;14(4):799-806.
19. Kalichman SC, Amaral CM, Stearns H, et al. Adherence to antiretroviral therapy assessed by unannounced pill counts conducted by telephone. J Gen Intern Med. 2007;22(7):1003-6.
20. Osborn CY, Davis TC, Bailey SC, et al. Health literacy in the context of HIV treatment: introducing the Brief Estimate of Health Knowledge and Action (BEHKA)-HIV version. AIDS Behav. 2010;14(1):181 -8.
21. Miller LG, Liu H, Hays RD, et al. Knowledge of antiretroviral regimen dosing and adherence: a longitudinal study. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36(4):514-8.
22. Colbert AM, Sereika SM, Erlen JA. Functional health literacy, medication-taking self-efficacy and adherence to antiretroviral therapy. J Adv Nurs. 2013;69(2):295-304.
23. Liu H, Miller LG, Hays RD, et al. A comprehensive evaluation of survey questions for adherence to antiretroviral medications and exploratory analyses for identifying optimal sets of survey questions. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2006;20(11):760-72.
24. Howard LM, Tique JA, Gaveta S, et al. Health literacy predicts pediatric dosing accuracy for liquid zidovudine. AIDS. 2014;28(7):1041 -8.
25. Dowse R, Lecoko L, Ehlers MS. Applicability of the REALM health literacy test to an English second-language South African population. Pharm World Sci. 2010;32(4):464-71.
26. Lori JR, Dahlem CH, Ackah JV. Examining antenatal health literacy in Ghana. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2014;46(6):432-40.
27. Ciampa PJ, Vaz LM, Blevins M, et al. The association among literacy, numeracy, HIV knowledge and health-seeking behavior: a population-based survey of women in rural Mozambique. PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e39391.
28. McTavish S, Moore S, Harper S, et al. National female literacy, individual socioeconomic status, and maternal health care use in sub-Saharan Africa. Soc Sci Med. 2010;71(11):1958-63.
29. Kalichman SC, Pope H, White D, et al. Association between health literacy and HIV treatment adherence: further evidence from objectively measured medication adherence. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic). 2008;7(6):317-23.
30. Nokes KM, Coleman CL, Cashen M, et al. Health literacy and health outcomes in HIV seropositive persons. Res Nurs Health. 2007;30(6):620-7.
31. Kalichman SC, Rompa D. Functional health literacy is associated with health status and health-related knowledge in people living with HIV-AIDS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2000;25(4):337-44.
32. Gakumo C, Vance D, Moneyham L, et al. Health numeracy and health literacy within the context of management of patients with human immunodeficiency virus. Nursing: Research and Reviews. 2013:3 23–31
33. Waldrop-Valverde D, Jones DL, Jayaweera D, et al. Gender differences in medication management capacity in HIV infection: the role of health literacy and numeracy. AIDS Behav. 2009;13(1):46-52.
34. Murphy DA, Lam P, Naar-King S, et al. Health literacy and antiretroviral adherence among HIV-infected adolescents. Patient Educ Couns. 2010;79(1):25-9.
35. Drainoni ML, Rajabiun S, Rumptz M, et al. Health literacy of HIV-positive individuals enrolled in an outreach intervention: results of a cross-site analysis. J Health Commun. 2008;13(3):287-302.
36. Davis TC, Long SW, Jackson RH, et al. Rapid estimate of adult literacy in medicine: a shortened screening instrument. Fam Med. 1993;25(6):391-5.
37. Cressman MN, Liljequist L. The effect of grade norms in college students: using the Woodcock-Johnson III Tests of Achievement. J Learn Disabil. 2014;47(3):271-8.
38. Van Servellen G, Brown JS, Lombardi E, et al. Health literacy in low-income Latino men and women receiving antiretroviral therapy in community-based treatment centers. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2003;17(6):283-98.
39. Fagerlin A, Zikmund-Fisher BJ, Ubel PA, et al. Measuring numeracy without a math test: development of the Subjective Numeracy Scale. Med Decis Making. 2007;27(5):672-80.
40. Lipkus IM, Samsa G, Rimer BK. General performance on a numeracy scale among highly educated samples. Med Decis Making. 2001;21(1):37-44.