Main Article Content
A case of a term female newborn, 40-week gestational age (by ultrasound (US)) with prenatal diagnosis of situs inversus and levocardia is reported. Transposition of the great arteries (TGA) and irregular fetal bradycardia were prenatally detected. Immediately after birth, electrocardiogram (ECG) monitoring revealed a complete heart block with no sign of hemodynamic compromise. The patient was then transferred to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for ventilatory support. Close observation and further investigation with echocardiogram were undertaken. The patient was transferred by air at the age of 4 days to the Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health for definitive cardiovascular treatments. This paper describes how to overcome the challenges of transporting a very young neonate with complex cardiac problems.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Moore JP, Satou GM, Klitzner TS. Chapter 56: Arrhythmias in the Newborn and Fetus. In: Gleason CA, Devaskar SU, eds. Avery’s Diseases of the Newborn (Ninth Edition), W.B. Saunders, 2012:789-800.
3. Bryan C, Oleg K, Christopher SS. Disorders of Cardiac Rhythm and Conduction in Newborns. In: Martin RJ, Fanaroff AA,Walsh MC, eds. Fanaroff and Martin’s Neonatal – perinatal medicine: disease of the fetus and infant, 10th edition. Philadelphia, PA : Elsevier/Saunders, 2015:1259-74.
4. Jaeggi E, Öhman A. Fetal and Neonatal Arrhythmias. Clin Perinatol 2016;43(1):99-112.
5. Hypoxico Altitude Training Systems, Hypoxico Inc. Hypoxico altitude to oxygen chart. (Accessed July 5, 2021, at https://hypoxico.com/altitude-to-oxygen-chart/)
6. Michael A, Mahoney L, Teitel DF. Neonatal cardiology, 2nd edition. McGraw-Hill Education.2010. ISBN 9780071639897.
7. Epstein AE, DiMarco JP, Ellenbogen KA, et al. ACC/AHA/ HRS 2008 Guidelines for Device-Based Therapy of Cardiac Rhythm Abnormalities: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the ACC/AHA/ NASPE 2002 Guideline Update for Implantation of Cardiac Pacemakers and Antiarrhythmia Devices): Developed in Collaboration With the American Association for Thoracic Surgery and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. Circulation 2008;117(21):e350-408. doi: 10.1161/CIRCUALTIONAHA. 108.189742.
8. Hirakawa E, Ibara S, Yoshihara H, et al. Safety, speed, and effectiveness of air transportation for neonates. Pediatr Int 20201;63(4):415-22. doi: 10.1111/ped.14401.
9. Steenhoff TC, Siddiqui DI, Zohn SF. EMS Air Medical Transport. 2020 Sep 18. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021. PMID: 29493980.