Main Article Content
The incidence of meniscal cysts, a relatively rare condition in orthopedics, ranges from 1-8% of cyst cases(1). A typical meniscal cyst is from 0.3 to 9 mm. in diameter(2). We report on a 32-year-old male patient who presented with swelling and a large, slow growing mass at the anterolateral side of the right knee. Arthroscopic examination was conducted, and debridement was performed with good results and a satisfactory outcome. No complications were detected at 12 months post-surgery.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Kose O, Erol B, Ozyurek S, Ege T. Giant medial parameniscal cysts of the knee joint. BMJ Case Rep. 2013.
3. Barrie HJ. The pathogenesis and significance of meniscal cysts. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1979; 61: 184-9.
4. Jäger A, Eberhardt C, Hailer NP. Large lateral meniscal ganglion cyst extending into the intercondylar fossa of the knee. Arthroscopy. 2004; 20 Suppl 2: 6-8.
5. Glasgow MM, Allen PW, Blakeway C. Arthroscopic treatment of cysts of the lateral
meniscus. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993; 75: 299-302.
6. Hullet C, Souquet D, Alexandre P, Locker B, Beguin J, Vielpeau C. Arthroscopic treatment of 105 lateral meniscal cysts with 5-year average follow-up. Arthroscopy. 2004; 20: 831-6.
7. Kim Y-M, D'Lima DD, Joo Y-B, Park I-Y. Huge intrameniscal cyst successfully treated by open debridement and combined arthroscopic and open repair: a case report. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2020; 21: 190.
8. Bhatti A, Iqbal MJ. Pericruciate intra-articular lateral meniscal cyst without meniscal tear. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2006; 14: 869-71.
9. Ryu RK, Ting AJ. Arthroscopic treatment of meniscal cysts. Arthroscopy. 1993; 9: 591-5.
10. Lorio R, Mazza D, Drogo P, Massafra C, Viglietta E, Conteduca J, et al. Lateral meniscal cysts: long-term clinical and radiological results of a partial meniscectomy and percutaneous decompressive needling. Int Orthop. 2020; 44: 487-93.
11. Chang A. Imaging-guided treatment meniscal cysts. HSS J. 2009; 5: 58-60.
12. Crowell MS, Westrick RB, Fogarty BT. Cysts of the lateral meniscus. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2013; 8: 340-8.
13. Antonios T, Huber CP. Lateral meniscal cyst presenting as Medial Compartment Knee Swelling: A case report and literature review. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2013; 4: 342-4.