Main Article Content
Simultaneous Bennett’s fracture-dislocation and trapezium fracture is rare. Open reduction of this fracture was usually recommended because of poor outcome of closed technique in previous reports. In this study, we aim to report the technique and result of closed reduction and percutaneous internal fixation of this fracture. The authors present the case of 20-years-old male who injured his base of thumb and trapezium simultaneously. Both Trapezium and Bennett’s fracture were managed by closed reduction and percutaneous fixation. The fracture achieved union at 4th month. Patient returned to pre-injury function at 6 months post-operation, the pinch and grasp were normal. At 12th month post-operation, Kapandji’s score was 10. Selection of the case, trapezium fracture at body and successful reduction by closed manner, is key to success. Closed reduction and percutaneous fixation of simultaneous trapezium and Bennett’s fracture dislocation could produce promising result in selective case.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Garcia-Elias M, Henríquez-Lluch A, Rossignani P, Fernandez de Retana P, Orovio de Elízaga J. Bennett's fracture combined with fracture of the trapezium. A report of three cases. J Hand Surg Br. 1993; 18: 523-6.
3. Kjaer-Petersen K, Langhoff O, Andersen K. Bennett's fracture. J Hand Surg Br. 1990; 15: 58-61.
4. El Ibrahimi A, Amar F, Chbani B, Daoudi A, Elmrini A, Boutayeb F. Dislocation of the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb associated with trapezium and Bennett's fractures. Hand (N Y). 2009; 4: 191-3.
5. Afshar A, Mirzatoloei F. Carpometacarpal joint dislocation of the thumb associated with the fracture of the trapezium. Arch Iran Med. 2006; 9: 282-3.
6. Walker JL, Greene TL, Lunseth PA. Fractures of the body of the trapezium. J Orthop Trauma. 1988; 2: 22-8.
7. Goyal T. Bennett’s fracture associated with fracture of Trapezium - A rare injury of first carpo-metacarpal joint. World J Orthop. 2017; 8: 656-9.
8. Mody BS, Dias JJ. Carpometacarpal dislocation of the thumb associated with fracture of the trapezium. J Hand Surg Br. 1993; 18: 197-9
9. Pointu J, Schwenck JP, Destree G, Séjourné P. Fractures of the trapezium. Mechanism, pathology and indi- cations for treatment. French J Orthop Surg. 1988; 3: 380-91.
10. Kapandji A. Cotation clinique de l'opposition et de la contre-opposition du pouce [Clinical test of apposition and counter-apposition of the thumb]. Ann Chir Main. 1986; 5: 67-73.