Main Article Content
Objective: To study incidence and risk factors of surgical site infection (SSI) after abdominal hysterectomy for benign diseases.
Materials and Methods: Retrospective study of 82 patients who underwent abdominal hysterectomies for benign diseases between September 2013 and October 2017 at Warinchumrab General Hospital was performed. SSI was defined using the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention criteria. Independent risk factors of SSI after the abdominal hysterectomy were identified by multivariate regression analysis.
Results: Incidences of SSI after abdominal hysterectomy was 9.76% (N = 82). There were 8 superficial incisional SSI, no deep incisional and organ-space SSI. Risk factor associated with superficial incisional SSI was a BMI ≥ 23.0 kg/m2 (odds ratio 1.154 [95% confidence interval 1.045-1.274], p = 0.021)
Conclusion: Incidence of SSI after abdominal hysterectomy was 9.76% and the significant risk factor in our study was BMI ≥ 23.0 kg/m2
2. Leung PL, Tsang SW, Yuen PM. An audit on hysterectomy for benign diseases in public hospitals in Hong kong. Hong Kong Med J 2007 ; 13 : 187-93.
3. Makinen J, Johansson J, Tomas C, Tomas E, Heinonen PK, Laatikainen T, et.al. Morbidity of 10110 hysterectomies by type of approach. Hum Reprod 2001 ; 16 : 1473-8.
4. Mark P. Lachiewicz, Laura JM, Oluwatosin J. Review article: Pelvic surgical site infections in gynecology surgery. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 2015;2015: 614950.
5. Tuomi T , Pasanen A, Liminen A, Butzow R, Loukovaara M. Incidence of and risk factors for surgical site infections in women undergoing hysterectomy for endometrial carcinoma. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2016 ; 95 : 480-5.
6. Young H, Bliss R, Carey JC, Price CS. Beyond core measures: identifying modifiable risk factors for prevention of surgical site infection after elective total abdominal hysterectomy . Surg Infect 2011 ; 12 : 491-6.
7. Olsen MA, Higham-Kessler J, Yokoe DS, Butler AM, Vostok J, Stevenson KB, et al. Developing a risk stratification model for surgical site infection after abdominal hysterectomy. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009;30:1077-83.
8. Mikhail E, Miladinovic B, Velanovich V, Finan MA, Hart S, Imudia A. Asscoiation between Obesity and the trends of routes of hysterectomy performed for benign indications. Obstet Gynecol 2015;125:912-8.
9. Savage MW, Pottting JM, Chiang HY, Yohnke KR, Bowdler NC, Herwaldt LA. Surgical site infections and cellulitis after abdominal hysterectomy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2013;209:108 e1-10.
10. Bohlin KS , Ankardal M, ST Jerndhhl, Lindkvist H, Milsom L. Influence of the modifiable life-style factors body mass index and smoking on the outcome of hysterectomy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2016;95: 65-73.
11. Colling KP, Glover JK, Statz CA, Gller MA, Beilman GJ. Abdominal hysterectomy : reduced risk of surgical site infection associated with robotic and laparoscopic technique. Surg Infect 2015;16:498-503.
12. Shah DK, Vitonis AF, Missmer SA. Association of body mass index and morbidity after abdominal, vaginal, and laparoscopic hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol 2015; 125:589-98.
13. Mahdi H, Goodrich S, Lockhart D, DeBernardo R, Moslemi-Kebria M. Predictors of surgical site infection in women undergoing hysterectomy for benign gynecologic disease : a multicenter analysis using the national surgical quality improvement program data. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2014;21:901-9.
14. Justin MJ, Melinda AB. Micronutrients, Immunology and inflammation the impact of obesity on immune response to infection. Proc Nutr Soc 2012;71:298-306.
15. Andersen CJ, Murphy KE, Fernandez ML. Impact of obesity and metabolic syndrome on immunity. Adv Nutr 2016;7:66-75.
16. Steiner HL, Strand EA. Surgical-site infection in gynecologic surgery: pathophysiology and prevention. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;217:121-8
17. Emma R, Lisa JM. Gynecologic oncology consult: Preventing surgical site infections in hysterectomy. Ob
Gyn news 2017;4.
18. Corazon B, Tommaso CS, Jeffery C, Ian DH, Paul D, Mabel DY, et al. Appropriate body mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 2004;363:157-63.