Main Article Content
Objective: To study the effectiveness and safety of preoperative sublingual misoprostol administration in reducing of operative blood loss during total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH).
Materials and Methods: Three hundred women with benign uterine diseases who were performed TAH at Khon Kaen Hospital from June 2017 to May 2018 were randomized into two groups: misoprostol group and placebo group. Intraoperative blood loss was analyzed.
Results: Baseline characteristics were similar between groups. There was no statistically significant difference in intraoperative blood loss between misoprostol and placebo group [228 ml (126-389) vs 240 ml (126-387), p = 0.943]. There was no significant difference in hemoglobin difference, blood transfusion and hospital stay between groups.
Conclusion: Misoprostol could not reduce intraoperative blood loss during total abdominal hysterectomy.
2. Harris WJ. Early complications of abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol Surv 1995;50:795-805.
3. Chavez NF, Stewart EA. Medical treatment of uterine fibroids. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2001;44:372-84.
4. Tang OS, Gemzell - Danielsson K, Ho PC. Misoprostol pharmacokinetic profiles, effects on the uterus and side effects. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2007;99Suppl 2:S160-7.
5. Biswas J, Chaudhuri P, Mandal A, Bandyopadhyay SN, Dasgupta S, Pal A. Effect of a single preoperative dose of sublingual misoprostol on intraoperative blood loss during total abdominal hysterectomy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2013;122:244-7.
6. Panichpongpan A, Satirapod C, Likittanasombatv P, Israngura N. Preoperative Sublingual misoprostol in reducing intraoperative blood loss during abdominal hysterectomy. Thai J Obstet Gynaecol 2014;22:187-93.
7. Chai J, Hon E, Li CF, Pun TC, Yeung SB, Ho PC. A pilot study of pre-operative misoprostol in reducing operative blood loss during hysterectomy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2011;158:72–5.