Main Article Content
Objective: To study the parameters of voiding patterns in Thai women without LUTS and to compare the voiding parameters between different age groups and menopausal status.
Material and Method: Seventy Thai women who live or work in various communities in Thailand without LUTS were invited to participate in the study during May- September, 2015. The volunteers were asked to complete Thai version Urogenital Distress Inventory (UDI) for screening of LUTS for exclusion. All cases were trained how to collect and record in 3-day bladder diary.
Results: Two hundreds and ten bladder diaries (70 women; 3 days/1 person) were completed by seventy women. The mean + SD of age was 48.4 + 7.9 years, the BMI was 23.3+ 4.0 kg/m2, 25.7% were postmenopausal. The mean + SD of voiding parameters were: 7.4+2.3 times (24 hrs voiding frequency), 6.5+2.0 times (daytime frequency), 0.7 (0-3) times (night time frequency), and 1560+627 cc (daily voided volume).The increasing age was associated with higher 24-hr voiding frequency and daytime voiding frequency.
Conclusion: The voiding parameters of Thai women without LUTS were reported. This data can be used as the tools for selecting Thai women with LUTS for further investigations and treatments. This result can be used as the reference for future research for the LUTS management.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Lapitan MC, Chye PL. The epidemiology of overactive bladder among females in Asia: a questionnaire survey. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 2001;12:226-31.
3. Manonai J, Poowapirom A, Kittipiboon S, Patrachai S, Udomsubpayakul U,
Chittacharoen A. Female urinary incontinence: a cross-sectional study from a Thai
rural area. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 2006;17:321-5.
4. Milsom I, Coyne KS, Nicholson S, Kvasz M, Chen CI, Wein AJ. Global prevalence and economic burden of urgency urinary incontinence: a systematic review. Eur Urol 2014;65:79-95.
5. Lucas MG, Bosch RJ, Burkhard FC, Cruz F, Madden TB, Nambiar AK, et al. EAU guidelines on assessment and nonsurgical management of urinary incontinence. Eur Urol 2012;62:1130-42.
6. Pauls RN, Hanson E, Crisp CC. Voiding diaries: adherence in the clinical
setting. Int Urogynecol J 2015;26:91-7.
7. Bright E, Cotterill N, Drake M, Abrams P. Developing and validating the international consultation on incontinence questionnaire bladder diary. Eur Urol 2014;66:294-300.
8. Chapple CR. Is a voiding diary really necessary in 2014? Eur Urol 2014;66:301-2.
9. National Statistical Office. Number of Population from Registration by Age Group , Sex and Region [Internet].2015 [cited 2015 Jul 5]. Available from: https://statbbi.nso.go.th/staticreport/Page/sector/TH/report/sector_01_4_TH_.mht.
10. Manchana T, Bunyavejchevin S. Validation of Thai version of the urogenital distress inventory and incontinence impact questionnaires. Chula Med J 2012;56:37-50.
11. Larsson G, Victor A. Micturition patterns in a healthy female population, studied with a frequency/volume chart. Scand J Urol Nephrol Suppl 1988;114:53-7.
12. Fitzgerald MP, Stablein U, Brubaker L. Urinary habits among asymptomatic women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002 ;187:1384-8.
13. Huang YH, Lin AT, Chen KK, Chang LS. Voiding pattern of healthy Taiwanese women. Urol Int 2006;77:322-6.
14. Homma Y, Yamaguchi O, Kageyama S, Nishizawa O, Yoshida M, Kawabe K. Nocturia in the adult: classification on the basis of largest voided volume and nocturnal urine production. The Journal of urology 2000;163:777-81.
15. Kassis A, Schick E. Frequency-volume chart pattern in a healthy female
population. Br J Urol. 1993 Nov;72(5 Pt 2):708-10.
16. Schueth A, Spronck B, van Zandvoort MA, van Koeveringe GA. Age-related changes
in murine bladder structure and sensory innervation: a multiphoton microscopy
quantitative analysis. Age (Dordr) 2016;38:17.
17. Camoes J, Coelho A, Castro-Diaz D, Cruz F. Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and Aging: The Impact of Chronic Bladder Ischemia on Overactive Bladder Syndrome. Urol Int 2015;95:373-9.
18. Holm NR, Horn T, Hald T. Detrusor in ageing and obstruction. Scand J Urol Nephrol 1995;29:45-9.