Comparison of the efficacy of LigaSure versus titanium clip for adrenal vein ligation during laparoscopic transperitoneal adrenalectomy
Objective: Comparison of the efficacy of LigaSure versus titanium clip for adrenal vein ligation during laparoscopic transperitoneal adrenalectomy
Materials and methods: Between 2006 and 2015, patients who underwent transperitoneal adrenalectomy in Phramongkutklao Hospital were enrolled in retrospective study. Fifty two patients were divided into 2 groups: Group 1 used LigaSure (n=27, 51.9%) and group 2 used titanium clip (n=25, 48.1%), with an indication of surgery was aldosterone producing adenoma (n=36), Cushing’s syndrome (n=10), pheochromocytoma (n=6), evaluating the perioperative and post operative surgery.
Results: The statistic significant between 2 groups was volume of blood loss; group 1 was 68.15+36.27 and group 2 was 144.8+37.98 (p<0.001). Other factors such as operative time, complication, number of convertion, duration of hospital stay, duration of analgesic drug injection, and duration of post operative fasting were not different between the two groups.
Conclusion: LigaSure can be used effectively and safely instead of titanium clip.
2. Gagner M, Lacroix A, Bolte E. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy in Cushing’s syndrome and pheochromocytoma. N Engl J Med 1992;327: 1033.
3. Vargas HI, Kavoussi LR, Bartlett DL, et al. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: a new standard of care. Urology 1997;49:673.
4. Guazzoni G, Montorsi F, Bocciardi A, et al. Transperitoneal laparoscopic versus open adrenalectomy for benign hyperfunctioning adrenal tumors: a comparative study. J Urol 1996;153:1597-1600.
5. Gagner M, Pomp A, Heniford BT, et al. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: lessons learned from 100 consecutive procedures. Ann Surg 1997;226:238-247.
6. Imai T, Kikumori T, Ohiwa M, et al. A casecontrolled study of laparoscopic compared with open lateral adrenalectomy. Am J Surg 1999;178:50-54.
7. Cobb WS, Kercher KW, Sing RF, et al. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for malignancy. Am J Surg 2005;189:405-411.
8. Chow GK, Blute ML. Surgery of the adrenal glands. CAMPBELL-WALSH Urology 10th ed 2012:1744-1745.
9. Suzuki K, Tsuru N, Ihara H. Laparoscopic approachs to the adrnal gland. Hinman atlas of urologic surgery, third edition. 2012:1113.
10. Eichel L, Clayman R. Fundamentals of laparoscopic and robotic urologic surgery. CAMPBELL-WALSH Urology 10th ed 2012:221.
11. Carbonell AM. A comparison of laparoscopic bipolar vessel sealing devices in the hemostasis of small, medium, and large-sized arteries 2003:377-380.
12. Landman J. Evaluation of a vessel sealing system, bipolar electrosurgery, harmonic scalpel, titanium clips, endoscopic gastrointestinal anastomosis vascular staples and sutures for arterial and venous ligation in a porcine model. The Journal of Urology 2003;169:697-700.
13. Yavuz N. Laparoscopic transperitonealadrenalectomy using the LigaSure vessel sealing system. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2005; 15:591-595.
14. Surgit O. Clipless and sutureless laparoscopic adrenalectomy carried out with the LigaSure device in 32 patients. Surg Laparosc Endosc- Percutan Tech 2010;2:109-113.
15. Misra MC. Clipless and sutureless laparoscopic surgery for adrenal and extra-adrenal tumors, Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeon 2008;12:252-255.
16. Arslan M. Comparison of adrenal vein control methods in laparoscopic adrenalectomy, European journal of endoscopic laparoscopic surgery 2014:66-70.
Copyright (c) 2017 วารสารยูโร (The Thai Journal of Urology)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.