Main Article Content
In the last issue of Bangkok Med J 2018, Vol. 14(1): page 57-62, we reported an aborted sudden coronary death in a veryyoung man, age of 29 years.1 Although he had no other atherosclerotic risk factors, severe hypercholesterolemia was noted withLDL cholesterol of 186 mg/dl, tendinous xanthoma and family history of dyslipidemia, suggestive of an inherited condition.By clinical criteria, he was diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolemia (FH).2-4
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Scientific Steering Committee on behalf of the Simon Broome Register Group. Mortality in treated heterozygous familialhypercholesterolaemia: implications for clinical management. Atherosclerosis 1999;142:105-12.
3. Civeira F. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Atherosclerosis 2004;173:55-68.
4. Shapiro M, Fazio S. Familial Hypercholesterolemia: Use of Registries, Biobanks, and Cohort Studies To Improve its Diagnosisand Management in Non-Western Populations. Bangkok Med J 2018; 14(1):63-8.
5. Garcia CK, Wilund K, Arca M et al. Autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia caused by mutations in a putative LDL receptoradaptor protein. Science 2001;292(5520):1394-8.
6. Austin MA, Hutter CM, Zimmern RL, et al. Genetic causes of monogenic heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia: a HuGEprevalence review. Am J Epidemiol 2004;160:407-20.
7. Mak YT, Pang CP, Tomlinson B et al. Mutations in the Low-Density Lipoprotein Receptor Gene in Chinese Familial HypercholesterolemiaPatients. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1998;18: 1600-5.
8. Livy A, Lye SH. Familial hypercholesterolemia in Asia: A Review. OMIC Res 2011;1:22-31.
9. Jeenduang N, Ruangpracha A, Promptmas C, et al. Two novel D151Y and M391T LDLR mutations causing LDLR transport defectsin Thai patients with familial hypercholes- terolemia. Clin Chim Acta 2010;411:1656-61.
10. The UniProt Consortium. UniProt: the universal protein knowledge base. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:D158-D169.