Main Article Content
Giant cell tumor of tendon sheath (GCTTS) is a common neoplasm, frequently developed around small digital joints of hand, and less commonly in wrist, ankle, foot and knee. GCTTS of other locations are very rare. The cytological feature of GCTTS is unique, but it could mimic neoplasm, inflammation or other lesions when arising in unusual locations. We reported a case of a 26-year-old male who presented with a supraclavicular mass. Microscopic features of excised mass revealed well-demarcated oval nodule, composed of polymorphous population of multinucleated giant cells and mononuclear cells with fibrous septa, consistent with the diagnosis of GCTTS. Local recurrence is not occurring during five-year follow-up. The purposes of this report is to present the rarity of this tumor in an exceedingly rare location and to help avoid misdiagnosis with other mimics.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
2. Iyer VK, Kapila K, Verma K. Fine-needle aspiration cytologyof giant cell tumor of tendon sheath. Diagn Cytopathol2003;29:105-10.
3. Sun C, Sheng W, Yu H, et al. Giant cell tumor of the tendonsheath: A rare case in the left knee of a 15-year-old boy.Oncol Lett 2012;3:718-20.
4. Minotto R, Rodrigues CB, Grill AB, et al. Giant cell tumorof the tendon sheath: a rare periungual location simulationmyxoid cyst. An Bras Dermatol 2017;92:121-3.
5. Rekha YC, Patnayak R, Bodagala V, et al. Giant cell tumorof tendon sheath in palmar region-cytological aspect of anuncommon tumor. Med J DY Patil Univ 2017;10:82-4.
6. Krishnamoorthy VP, Jacob KM, Poonnoose PM. Giant celltumor of the supraspinatus tendon sheath causing shoulderimpingement. Int J Shoulder Surg 2012;6:23-4.
7. Gupta K, Dey P, Goldsmilth R, et al. Comparison ofcytologic features of giant-cell tumor and giant-cell tumor oftendon sheath. Diagn Cytopathol; 2004;30:14-8.
8. Batra VV, Jain S, Singh DK, et al. Cytomorphologic spectrumof giant cell tumor of tendon sheath. Acta Cytol 2008;52:152-8.
9. Lee IM. Touch imprint and fine needle aspiration cytology ofgiant cell tumor of tendon sheath – a case report. Korean JCytopathol 2008;19:57-64.
10. Srikanth S. Giant cell tumor of right index finger: fine needleaspiration cytology finding. Int J Health Allied Sci 2014;3:141-2.
11. Hegde S, Samartha V. Cytology of giant cell tumour of thetendon sheath – a diagnostic dilemma. IOSR-JMDS2016;15:70-2.