Main Article Content
Anemia is a major complication during the pre-dialysis stage of chronic kidney disease. It is an
important factor in increasing the severity in the progression of the disease, the risks of cardiovascular
complications, as well as affecting the quality of life. This article aims to review knowledge regarding anemia
among pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease patients. The content covers the definitions, incidents, causes,
consequences and nurses’ roles in the management of anemia among pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease
patients. This comprises 1) evaluation, screening, and referral, 2) provision of knowledge/recommendations
in self-care to patients and 3) proper use of medications, in order to encourage patients to preform suitable
self-care, reach a hemoglobin level according to their goal and enhance their quality of life.
2. Stauffer ME, Fan T. Prevalence of anemia in chronic kidney disease in the United States. PloS one. 2014; 9(1): 1-5. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone. 0084943
3. Lau BC, Ong KY, Yap CW, et al. Predictors of anemia in a multi-ethnic chronic kidney disease population: A case–control study. Springer Plus. 2015;4(1): 1-9. doi:10.1186/s40064-015-1001-z
4. Kutuby F, Wang S, Desai C, et al. Anemia of chronic kidney disease. Disease-a-Month. 2015;61(10): 421-424.
5. Babitt JL, Lin HY. Mechanisms of anemia in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 23(10): 1631-4.
6. Portolés J, Gorriz JL, Rubio E, et al. The development of anemia is associated to poor prognosis in NKF/KDOQI stage 3 chronic kidney disease. BMC Nephrol. 2013;14(1):1-9. doi: 10.1186/1471-2369-14-2
7. Thorp ML, Johnson ES, Yang X, et al. Effect of anemia on mortality, cardiovascular hospitalizations and end stage renal disease among patients with chronic kidney disease. Nephrology. 2009; 14(2): 240-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1797.2008.01065.x
8. Voormolen N, Grootendorst DC, Urlings TAJ. Prevalence of anemia and its impact on mortality and hospitalization rate in predialysis patients. Nephron Clin Pract. 2010;115(2): c133-c141. doi: 10.1159/000312876
9. Sathyan S, George S, Vijayan P. Prevalence of anemia and cardiovascular diseases in chronic kidney disease patients: A single tertiary care centre study. IJAM. 2017; 4(1): 247-51. doi: 10.18203/2349-3933.ijam20170120
10. Kalantar-Zadeh K, Aronoff GR. Hemoglobin variability in anemia of chronic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20(3): 479-87. doi:10.1681/ASN.2007070728
11. Finkelstein FO, Story K, Firanek C, et al. Health-related quality of life and hemoglobin levels in chronic kidney disease patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4(1): 33-8. doi: 10.2215/CJN.00630208
12. Nephrology Society of Thailand. Clinical practice recommendation for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease in adults 2015. Bangkok: Nephrology Society of Thailand; 2015. Thai.
13. World Health Organization. Haemoglobin concen-trations for the diagnosis of anemia and assessment of severity [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2011 [cited 2018 Feb 10]. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/85839/3/WHO_NMH_NHD_MNM_11.1_eng.pdf?ua=1
14. Zadrazil J, Horak P. Pathophysiology of anemia in chronic kidney diseases: A review. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. 2015; 159(2): 197-202. doi: 10.5507/bp.2013.093
15. Atkinson MA, Warady BA. Anemia in chronic kidney disease. Pediatr Nephrol. 2018; 33(2):227-38. doi: 10.1007/s00467-017-3663-y
16. National Society Nephrology. KDIGO Clinical practice guideline for anemia in chronic kidney disease. Kidney international supplements. 2012;2(4): 1-64.
17. Antwi-Bafour S, Hammond S, Adjei JK, et al. A case–control study of prevalence of anemia among patients with type 2 diabetes. J Med Case Rep. 2016; 10(1): 110. doi: 10.1186/s13256-016-0889-4
18. Dalrymple LS, Go AS. Epidemiology of acute infections among patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 3(5):1487-93. doi: 10.2215/CJN.01290308
19. Hung S, Kuo K, Peng C, et al. Association of fluid retention with anemia and clinical outcomes among patients with chronic kidney disease. J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4(1): 1-7. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.114.001480
20. Ryu SR, Park SK, Jung JY, et al. The prevalence and management of anemia in chronic kidney disease Patients: Result from the korean cohort study for outcomes in patients with chronic kidney disease (KNOW-CKD). J Korean Med Sci. 2017; 32(2): 249-56. doi:10.3346/jkms.2017.32.2.249
21. Kurella Tamura M, Vittinghoff E, Yang J, et al. Anemia and risk for cognitive decline in chronic kidney disease. BMC Nephrol. 2016; 17(13): 1-7. doi: 10.1186/s12882-016-0226-6
22. Jitchan P, Masingboon K. Duanpaeng S. Predictors of functional performance in patients with chronic kidney disease. Thai Journal of Nursing Council. 2011; 26(2): 86-99. Thai.
23. Mairbäurl H. Red blood cells in sports: effects of exercise and training on oxygen supply by red blood cells. Front Physiol. 2013; 12(4): 323. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2013.00332
24. Xu D, Murakoshi N, Sairenchi T, et al. Anemia and reduced kidney function as risk factors for new onset of atrial fibrillation (from the Ibaraki prefectural health study). Am J Cardiol. 2015;115(3): 328-33. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2014.10.041
25. Clevenger B, Gurusamy K, Klein AA, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of iron therapy in anaemic adults without chronic kidney disease: updated and abridged Cochrane review. Eur J Heart Fail. 2016;18(7):774-85. doi:10.1002/ejhf.514
26. Choi ES, Lee J. Effects of a face-to-face self-management program on knowledge, self-care practice and kidney function in patients with chronic kidney disease before the renal replacement therapy. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2012;42(7):1070-8. doi: 10.4040/jkan.2012.42.7.1070
27. Varitsakul R. Dietary management for slow progression in patients with diabetic kidney disease. Journal of The Royal Thai Army Nurses. 2014;15(1): 22-8. Thai.
28. Vaziri ND, Pahl MV, Crum A, et al. Effect of uremia on structure and function of immune system. J Ren Nutr. 2012; 22(1): 149-56. doi: 10.1053/j.jrn.2011.10.020
29. Barcellos FC, Santos IS, Umpierre D, et al. Effects of exercise in the whole spectrum of chronic kidney disease: A systematic review. Clin Kidney J. 2015; 8(6): 753-65.doi: 10.1093/ckj/sfv099
30. Viana JL, Kosmadakis GC, Watson EL, et al. Evidence for anti-inflammatory effects of exercise in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 25(9): 2121-30. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2013070702
31. Reangsing C. Caring for adolescents smoking: A challenging role for nurses. Journal of The Royal Thai Army Nurses. 2013; 14(2): 17-24. Thai.
32. Ingsathit A, Thakkinstian A, Chaiprasert A, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of chronic kidney disease in the Thai adult population: Thai SEEK study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010;25(5): 1567-75. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfp669