Main Article Content
This study aimed to develop and evaluate the nursing therapeutics for facilitating patient’s transition program (NTFPTP). The program was developed based on transition theory. Purposive sampling was used to recruit 42 stroke patients and their family caregivers in Bandung, Indonesia. All instruments were validated by three experts. Reliability values (Chronbach,s alpha) for readiness, role supplementation, and debriefing were .73, .72, and .77 respectively. Reliability values (KR 20) for knowledge of stroke; maintaining adequate hydration and nutrition, and nasogastric tube feeding; catheter care, positioning, mobility and transfers; and the role of caregiver, psychological support, and home preparation were .78, .81, .81, and .70 respectively. Reliability values (KR 20) for skills of nasogastric tube feeding, catheter care, positioning, and mobility were .73, .82, .73, and .88 respectively. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, paired t-test, and Wilcoxon test. The results from a Wilcoxon signed-rank test showed a significant increase in scores on the readiness and debriefing of stroke patients (p < .001). The paired t-test revealed that the overall mean scores of the knowledge of stroke, skills of family caregivers, and role supplementation after receiving the NTFPTP were significantly higher than those of before receiving the NTFPTP (p < .01). The program is suitable for stroke patients and caregivers and it can increase their knowledge, skill, role supplementation and debriefing.
2. Yuniarsih W. Family caregiver experience in taking care of post-acute stroke patient at Fatmawati hospital [master’s thesis]. [Jakarta]: University of Indonesia; 2010.
3. Meleis AI, editor. Transitions theory: middlerange and situation-specific theories in nursing research and practice. New York: Springer; 2010.
4. Ministry of Health. Riset Kesehatan Dasar (RISKESDAS) [basic health research] 2007. Jakarta: Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan Departemen Kesehatan, Republik Indonesia; 2008.
5. Kernich CA, Robb G. Development of a stroke family support and education program. J Neurosci Nurs. 1988; 20(3): 193-7. doi:10.1097/01376517-198806000-00012
6. Grindel C. Fostering a nurse, patient, and family ‘partnership in care’. Medsurg Nurs. 2006; 15(2): 58-9.
7. Shyu YIL, Kuo LM, Chen MC, et al. A clinical trial of an individualised intervention programme for family caregivers of older stroke victims in Taiwan. J Clin Nurs. 2010; 19(11-12): 1675-85. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03124.x
8. Naylor MD, Van Cleave J. Transitional care model for older adults. In: Meleis AI, editor. Transitions theory: middle-range and situationspecific theories in nursing research and practice. New York: Springer; 2010.
9. Selkirk R, McLaren S, Ollerenshaw A, et al.The longitudinal effects of midwife-led postnatal debriefing on the psychological health of mothers. J Reprod Infant Psychol. 2006; 24(2): 133-47. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/ 02646830600643916.
10. Meleis AI, Sawyer LM, Im E-O, et al. Experiencing transitions: an emerging middlerange theory. Adv Nurs Sci. 2000; 23(1): 12-28. doi: 10.1097/00012272-200009000-00006.
11. Schumacher KL, Meleis Al. Transitions: a central concept in nursing. J Nurs Scholarsh. 1994; 26(2): 119-27. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.1994.tb00929.x.
12. Ministry of Health. Riset Kesehatan Dasar (RISKESDAS) [basic health research] 2012. Jakarta: Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan Departemen Kesehatan, Republik Indonesia; 2013.
13. Nakao S, Takata S, Uemura H, et al. Relationship between Barthel Index scores during the acute phase of rehabilitation and subsequent ADL in stroke patients. J Med Invest. 2010; 57(1-2): 81-8. doi:10.2152/jmi.57.81.
14. Kosasih CE, Punthmatharith B, Boonyasopun U. Effects of the Nursing Therapeutics Program for Facilitating Patient Transition (NTPFPT) on subjective well-being, role mastery, and wellbeing of relationships of adult stroke patients in Bandung, Indonesia. Walailak Journal. 2020;
15. Chalermwannapong S, Panuthai S, Srisuphan W, et al. Effects of the transitional care program on functional ability and quality of life of stroke survivors. CMU J Nat Sci. 2010; 9(1): 49-66.
16. Kusuima Y, Venketasubramanian N, Kiemas L, et al. Burden of stroke in Indonesia. Int J Stroke. 2009; 4(5): 379-80. doi:10.1111/j.1747-4949.2009.00326.x.
17. Shen L, Song L, Liu B, et al. Effects of early age at natural menopause on coronary heart disease and stroke in Chinese women. Int J Cardiol. 2017; 15 (241): 6-11. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2017.03.127.
18. Zhang J-P, Huang H-S, Ye M, et al. Factors influencing the subjective well being (SWB) in a sample of older adults in an economically depressed area of China. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2008; 46(3): 335-47. doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2007.05.006.
19. Eshak ES, Honjo K, Iso H, et al. Changes in the employment status and risk of stroke and stroke types. Stroke. 2017; 48(5): 1176-82. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.117.016967.
20. Badan Pusat Statistik Kota Bandung. Penduduk Kota Bandung menurut jenis kelamin tahun 2013 [Residents of Bandung City by gender in 2013] 2013 June 10, 2016]. Available from: http://bandungkota.bps.go.id/subyek/penduduk-2013.2010.
21. da Costa TF, Gomes TM, Viana L, et al. Stroke: patient characteristics and quality of life of caregivers. Rev Bras Enferm. 2016; 69(5): 933-9. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167-2015-0064.
22. Omelchenko N, Saban KL, Andresen P, et al. Empowered to serve: implementing community stroke outreach using peer educators to improve readiness to act among local community members. J Neurosci Nurs. 2018; 50(2): 111-5. doi:10.1097/JNN.0000000000000344.
23. Sankar J, Vijayakanthi N, Sankar MJ, et al. Knowledge and skill retention of in-service versus preservice nursing professionals following an informal training program in pediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation: a repeated-measures quasiexperimental study. Biomed Res Int. 2013; 2013: 1-7. doi: 10.1155/2013/403415.
24. Clark MS, Rubenach S, Winsor A. Arandomized controlled trial of an education and counselling intervention for families after stroke. Clin Rehabil. 2003; 17(7): 703-12. doi: 10.1191/0269215 503cr681oa.
25. DiZazzo-Miller R, Winston K, Winkler SL, et al. Family caregiver training program (FCTP): a randomized controlled trial. Am J Occup Ther. 2017; 71(5): 7105190010p1-7105190 010p10. doi:10.5014/ajot.2017.022459.