Main Article Content
Objective: The purposes of this descriptive research were: (1) to study achievement motivation, empowerment, transformational leadership of executives, and professional nurses’ morale in the area of three southern border provinces and (2) to identify the predictor variables of achievement motivation, empowerment, transformational leadership of executives on professional nurse’s morale in the area of three southern border provinces. Methods: The sample of this study was 120 professional nurses who worked in the general hospitals, Crown Prince hospital, community hospitals, and sub-district health promotion hospitals in the area of three southern border provinces, namely, Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani. They were recruited by multi-stage cluster sampling method. The research questionnaires composed of 5 sections. The second to fifth sections of the questionnaires which were validated by 5 experts. Data were analyzed by frequency, percentage, mean, standard deviation, Pearson product-moment correlation and stepwise multiple regression analysis. Results: The major findings were as follows. (1) Professional nurses rated their overall empowerment, transformational leadership of executives, and professional nurse’s morale at the high levels, whereas they rated their overall achievement motivation at the moderate level. 2) Empowerment,
transformational leadership of executives, and achievement motivation could predict professional nurse morale in the three southern border provinces, and all of them accounted for 76.60 percent (R2 = .766, p < .001). Therefore, nursing administrators should recognize the importance of empowering professional nurses, promote self-development to be a transformational leadership and support career development in order to strengthen the morale of professional nurses in the three southern border provinces.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Pinthongkhum S. Morale and duty of professional nurses at Sam pran hospital, Sam phran district, Nakhon pathom Province [internet]. 2013 [cited 2013 Jul 12]. Available from: http://www.thongsook.ac.th/main/admin/uploads/FacultyOfGrad/268-file-researchstd11.pdf
3. Kanthar A, Hathakit U, Punyasophan U. The impacts and solutions to nursing workforce shortage in Thailand. J Nurs Sci. 2014; 32(1): 81-90. Thai.
4. Siriphan S, Prateepchaikul L, Songwanthana P, et al. Quality of life of professional nurses in the unrest areas of three southern Thai border provinces. Journal of Health Science Research. 2014; 8(2): 47-55. Thai.
5. Tangcharoensathien V, Sawaengdee K, Rajataram B, et al. A study of work load and productivity among health
personnel in district health promotion hospital. Health systems research institute (HSRI); 2017. Thai.
6. Matsaung RG. Factors influencing the Morale of employees at the greater tzaneen municipality [internet]. [cited 2016 Jul 7]. Available from: https://repository.up.ac.za/handle/2263/41809.
7. Papathanasiou IV, Evangelos CF, Cristos FK, et al. Motivation, Leadership, Empowerment and Confidence: Their relation with nurses’ burnout. NCBI. 2014; 26(6): 405-10. doi: 10.5455/msm.2014.26.405-410.
8. Rawat SR. Impact of transformational leadership over employee morale and motivation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(Suppl): 25-34. doi: 10.17485/IJST/2015/V8IS6/62118.
9. Lang JWB, Fries S. A revised 10-item version of the Achievement motives scale: Psychometric properties in
german-speaking samples. European Journal of Psychological Assessment. 2006; 22(3): 216-24. doi: https://doi.org/10.1027/1015-57220.127.116.11.
10. Laschinger HK. Conditions for work effectiveness questionnaire I and II (CWEQ I&II) [internet]. [cited 2015
Jul 13]. Available from: https://www.uwo.ca›fhs›hkl›files›cweq.
11. Somboon P, Noimucnwai P, Prasertsri N. Factor influencing job retentions of temporary nursing employees in the Northeast Army Hospital. [master’s thesis]. [Nonthaburi]: Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University; 2018. 49 p.
12. Mehay R. The assessment of work environment schdule (AWES). Developed originally Cited in Nolan 1998
[internet]. [cited 2016 Jul 7]. Available from: https://www.bradfordvts.co.uk>teamwork.
13. Faul F. G*Power 3.1.92 [internet]. [Cited 2013 Mar 9]. Available from: https://www.poycho.uni-duessldorf.de/
14. Sayed RIEI, Ali MR. Achievement motivation and its relation to nurses’ decision making beliefs, ability, and job burnout at obstetric and gynecological departments. Clinical Nursing Studies. 2017; 5(4): 42-51. doi: https://doi.org/10.5430/cns.v5n4p42.