Main Article Content
Teenage pregnancy is a major risk to maternal and fetal health, and also affects the society, economy, and education system. This problem was raised to the national agenda to formulate strategies for preventing and solving the teenage pregnancy problem at the national level 2017-2026 with the cooperation of 5 ministries: Ministry of Public Health, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, Ministry of Interior, and Ministry of Labor. Registered nurses play an important role in providing healthcare services in four dimensions: health promotion, disease prevention, rehabilitation and treatment. Nurses are also the key health personnel for pregnancy prevention in the school age group. The primary school students would be the main target group of concern for pregnancy preventing. Primary prevention is to focus on first pregnancy prevention. Therefore, the guideline for pregnancy prevention in primary school students should be focused on 5 issues: 1) School administrators should raise teenage pregnancy as a problem to be addressed; 2) Teachers should play a role in teenage pregnancy prevention; 3) Reform of sex education programs; 4) Monitoring, measurement and evaluation of sex education programs; and 5) Networking cooperation in preventing and solving pregnancy problems. Therefore, preventing and solving the problem of teenage pregnancy needs to be a priority and requires cooperation from stakeholders for first pregnancy prevention in primary school students.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Butchon R, Liabsuetrakul T, Teerawattananon, Y. Adolescent Pregnancy in Thailand: The Link between Evidence and Policy. Journal of Health Science. 2018; 27(6): 1011-22. Thai.
3. Tumchuea S, Pumprayool P. Teenage pregnancy: Concept of solving problems with the district health system. Journal of Health Science Research. 2018; 12(2): 29-38. Thai.
4. World Health Organization. World health statistics 2018: Monitoring health for the SDGs, Sustainable Development Goals. Geneva: World Health Organization. Switzerland; 2018.
5. Bureau of Reproductive Health. Annual Report 2018. Department of Health Nonthaburi: Ministry of Public Health; 2018. Thai.
6. Bureau of Reproductive Health. Department of health. reproductive health situation in adolescents and youth in 2019. Nonthaburi: Ministry of Public Health; 2020. Thai.
7. Ministry of Education, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the United Nations Population Fund
(UNFPA), Thailand. Research Report for Review of CSE Teaching in Thai Educational Institutions in 2016; 2016.
8. Bureua of Reproductive Health. Department of Health. Ministry of Public Health. National Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention and Solution Strategy 2017-2026 under the Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention and Solution Act 2016. Nonthaburi: Theppimvanis Printing; 2017. Thai.
9. Oyvind OJ. Teenage reproductive health: Pregnancy, contraception, unsafe abortion, fertility. Int. J. Environ.
Res. 2018; 15(6): 1176-9. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15061176.
10. Thampanichawa W, Olanratmanee B. Sex education for adolescents in schools: A case study in Bangkok. Thai Journal of Nursing Council. 2018; 33(3): 82-98. Thai.
11. Lertsakornsiri M. Factors associated with unwanted adolescent women pregnancy in the perceived of the Firstyear students at Saint Louis Collège. Journal of the Royal Thai Army Nurses. 2014; 15(1): 90-8. Thai.
12. Saranyu R. Development of sex education management guidelines for lower secondary school teachers to prevent adolescent pregnancy problems Uttaradit Province. 2014. Thai.
13. Adultrakul A, Potjanamart C, SawangJaiThum K. Effects of problem-based learning towards knowledge on sex education and opinions on sex risk behaviors among Mutthayomsuksa students. Nursing Journal. 2015; (42): 46-56. Thai. 14. Path 2 health Foundation. Manual for relationship and sexuality in Pratom 4. Bangkok: Mada Ltd. Publishing; 2018. Thai.
15. Thongsri P, Chiangkhong A. Community health nurse’s roles in School Health Service. Journal of Public Health Nursing. 2018; 32(2): 204-22. Thai.
16. Wongsang P, Kaewsan P. Unwanted pregnant among the adolescents and proactive challenging roles of nurses. Journal of Nursing Science and Health. 2014; 37(2): 146-54. Thai.
17. Klankhajhon S, Puraya A, Boonpracom R, et al. Empowerment in nursing care for teenage pregnancy. Journal of norsing and health sciences. 2021; 15(1): 1-13. Thai.
18. Srivilai K. Repeated Pregnancy among Adolescents: A Case Study in a Community Hospital, Southern. The Southern College Network. Journal of Nursing and Public Health. 2016; 3(3): 256-67. Thai.
19. Office of the Basic Education Commission. Ministry of Education. Indicators and subjects of learning the core Health Education and Physical Education According to the core curriculum of basic education, BE, 2551. Bangkok: House of the Agricultural Cooperatives Association of Thailand Publishing; 2008. Thai.
20. Oraphan O, Kittirachakool N, Chinnacom D, et al. Resources for the Elementary School Health Services in Thailand. Journal of Health Systems Research. 2018; 12(3): 456-68. Thai.
21. Bureau of Health Promotion. Ministry of public health. handbook for heath promoting school (Revised Edition) The Office of Silpakorm University Academic Service Publishing: Nonthaburi; 2015. Thai.
22. Chirawatkul S, Fongkaew W, Settheekul S, et al. Integration model for the prevention of and solution to teenage pregnancy: Concept and operation. Thai Journal of Nursing Council. 2017; 32(3): 5-24. Thai.
23. Chiengta P, Tumchea S, maneechot M, et al. Effects of a sexual health promotion program on pregnancy prevention of teenage in Saraburi Municipal. Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing. 2018; 34(2): 101-11. Thai.
24. Srimeechai J, Rutchanagul P, Kummabutr J. The sexual and reproductive healthcare behaviors of University Students Engaging in Virtual Marital Relationships. Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok. 2018; 34(3): 43-54. Thai.
25. Phuphaibul R, Tachadhong A, Nuntawan C, et al. Roles of school nurses and factors related to health promoting role performance. Journal of Public Health and Development. 2011; 9(1): 72-85. Thai.
26. Croghan E, Johnson C. Occupational health and school health: A Natural alliance. JAN. 2004; 35(2): 171-8.
27. Thongsei P, Chiangkhong A. Community health nurse’s roles in School Health Service. Journal of Public Health Nursing. 2018; 32(2): 203-22. Thai.
28. Klunllin P. Child health promotion for all age group. Nurse networking development plan for health promotion phase
2. Faculty of Nursing, Khon Kaen University. Khon Kaen; Klang Nana Witthaya Printing Co., Ltd.; 2012. Thai.
29. Phalasuek R, Thanomchayathawatch B, Thonglert D. A community participation process in teenage pregnancy prevention. The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health. 2017; 4(2): 256-67. Thai.