Main Article Content
Background: Hypothermia is a common incidence in the patient who underwent surgery under spinal anesthesia. Perioperative hypothermia causes many serious complications. Prophylaxis hypothermia during surgery can decrease this incidence. Objectives: To compare the incidence of a mung bean bag with a placebo to prevent hypothermia in parturients undergoing cesarean delivery during spinal anesthesia. Methods:A prospective randomized control trial, fifty-four patients undergoing cesarean delivery during spinal anesthesia. Patients were randomly allocated to received normal saline (n=27) or normal saline cover with a mung bean bag (n=27). Tympanic temperature, shivering score and side effects were also recorded. Results: The incidence of postoperative hypothermia and shivering were significantly less in group M. No major side effects were found. Conclusion: Prophylactic warming mung bean bag could prevent hypothermia in parturients undergoing cesarean delivery during spinal anesthesia without causing any major untoward side effects.
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1997;813:757-77.
2. Sessler DI. Perioperative heat balance. Anesthesiology
3. Crossley AW. Peri-operative shivering. Anaesthesia 1992;47:
4. Bhattacharya P, Bhattacharya L, Jain R, et al. Post anesthesia
shivering (PAS): a review. Indian J Anaesth 2003;47:88-93.
5. Kiekkas P, Poulopoulou M, Papahatzi A, et al. Effect of
hypothermia and shivering on standard PACU monitoring of
patients. AANA J 2005;73:47-53.
6. Buggy DJ, Crossley AW. Thermoregulation, mild perioperative
hypothermia and postanaesthetic shivering. Br J Anaesth
7. Eberhart LHJ, Döderlein F, Eisenheardt G, et al. Independent
risk factors for postoperative shivering. Anesth Analg 2005;
8. Pisitsak C, Virankabutra T, Deewong K, Pornprasertsuk M.
Postoperative hypothermia: incidence and associated
factors. Thai J Anesthesiol 2011;37:93-103.
9. Kranke P, Eberhart LH, Roewer N, Tramèr MR. Pharmacological
treatment of postoperative shivering: a quantitative systematic
review of randomized controlled trials. Anesth Analg
10. Ninpai C, Kannika N, Suthamma M, Dhumkhum V. The study
of usage of heated gloves from green bean for cold worker
exposure in ice factory. J Sci Technol (Ubon Ratchathani
11. Jirapaet K, Jirapaet V. Assessment of cereal-grain warming
pad/as a heat source for newborn transport. J med Assoc
Thai 2005; 88 Suppl: S203-10.
12. Chanjaroenkij K. Efficacy of warming mung bean pad in
preventing hypothermia in transporting newborn. J Health
Sci 2008;17 Suppl: SIII892-9.
13. Prungchaiyaphum P. Comparison result between blanket
intervention and blanket use with force-air patient warming
among women receiving cesarean section under spinal
anesthesia. Chaiyaphum Med J 2017;37:43-51.
14. Uschasai R. Effectiveness of warm green bean pad in
temperature control program for newborn weighing. Reg 4-5
Med J 2009;28:139-46.
15. Tunprasit C, Dusitkasem S, Khakhuy C, et al. Efficacy of post
intubation dexmedetomidine infusion for prevention of
postoperative shivering. Thai J Anesthesiol 2016;42:139-48.
16. Pravitharangul T, Karnjanarachata C, Areeruk P, et al. Single
bolus intravenous ephedrine attenuates reduction of core
body temperature in patients undergoing spinal anesthesia
for arthroscopic knee and ankle surgery. J Med Assoc Thai