Main Article Content
Objectives: To investigate the effects of experimental ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) pastes at 10%, 15%, and 20%, and with 0.2% cetrimide on smear layer formation on apical root canal walls prepared by rotary nickel-titanium (Ni-Ti) files, in comparison to a commercial product (RC-Prep).
Materials and Methods: Experimental EDTA pastes at 10%, 15%, and 20% were prepared with or without addition of 0.2% cetrimide; RC-Prep was used as a control. Eighty-four root canals in maxillary premolars were prepared using rotary Ni-Ti files (WaveOneÒGold), with one of the EDTA pastes used as a lubricant, n=12 of each. NaOCl at 2.5% was used as an irrigation. The roots were sectioned to investigate smear layer formation at apical root level using scanning electron microscopy. Smear layer was scored from 1 to 5 following the degree of formation (lowest to highest).
Results: Heavy smear layer formation at the apical root level (scores 4-5) was observed at the root canal walls in all experimental EDTA pastes and RC-Prep, which were not significantly different (p > 0.05).
Conclusion: Increase in EDTA concentration or addition of 0.2% cetrimide did not reduce smear layer formation at apical root canal walls prepared by rotary Ni-Ti files.
2. Torabinejad M, Handysides R, Khademi AA, Bakland LK. Clinical implications of the smear layer in endodontics: a review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2002;94:658-66.
3. Andrabi SM, Kumar A, Zia A, Iftekhar H, Alam S, Siddiqui S. Effect of passive ultrasonic irrigation and manual dynamic irrigation on smear layer removal from root canals in a closed apex in vitro model. J Investig Clin Dent 2014;5:188-93.
4. Carvalho AS, Camargo CH, Valera MC, Camargo SE, Mancini MN. Smear layer removal by auxiliary chemical substances in biomechanical preparation: a scanning electron microscope study. J Endod 2008;34:1396-400.
5. Violich DR, Chandler NP. The smear layer in endodontics - a review. Int Endod J 2010;43:2-15.
6. Grandini S, Balleri P, Ferrari M. Evaluation of Glyde File Prep in combination with sodium hypochlorite as a root canal irrigant. J Endod 2002;28:300-3.
7. Lim TS, Wee TY, Choi MY, Koh WC, Sae-Lim V. Light and scanning electron microscopic evaluation of Glyde File Prep in smear layer removal. Int Endod J 2003;36:336-43.
8. Cruz-Filho AM, Sousa-Neto MD, Saquy PC, Pecora JD. Evaluation of the effect of EDTAC, CDTA, and EGTA on radicular dentin microhardness. J Endod 2001;27:183-4.
9. De-Deus G, Paciornik S, Mauricio MH. Evaluation of the effect of EDTA, EDTAC and citric acid on the microhardness of root dentine. Int Endod J 2006;39:401-7.
10. Kalluru RS, Kumar ND, Ahmed S, Sathish ES, Jayaprakash T, Garlapati R, et al. Comparative Evaluation of the Effect of EDTA, EDTAC, NaOCl and MTAD on Microhardness of Human Dentin - An In-vitro Study. J Clin Diagn Res 2014;8:ZC39-41.
11. Akcay I, Sen BH. The effect of surfactant addition to EDTA on microhardness of root dentin. J Endod 2012;38:704-7.
12. Ferrer-Luque CM, Conde-Ortiz A, Arias-Moliz MT, Valderrama MJ, Baca P. Residual activity of chelating agents and their combinations with cetrimide on root canals infected with Enterococcus faecalis. J Endod 2012;38:826-8.
13. Arias-Moliz MT, Ferrer-Luque CM, Gonzalez-Rodriguez MP, Valderrama MJ, Baca P. Eradication of Enterococcus faecalis biofilms by cetrimide and chlorhexidine. J Endod 2010;36:87-90.
14. Guerisoli DM, Marchesan MA, Walmsley AD, Lumley PJ, Pecora JD. Evaluation of smear layer removal by EDTAC and sodium hypochlorite with ultrasonic agitation. Int Endod J 2002;35:418-21.
15. Leow N, Abbott P, Castro Salgado J, Firth L. Evaluation of smear layer removal by bicarbonate soda, ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid with cetrimide and sodium hypochlorite with a new model. Aust Endod J 2012;38:107-12.
16. Serper A, Calt S. The demineralizing effects of EDTA at different concentrations and pH. J Endod 2002;28:501-2.
17. Yamada RS, Armas A, Goldman M, Lin PS. A scanning electron microscopic comparison of a high volume final flush with several irrigating solutions: Part 3. J Endod 1983;9:137-42.
18. Schmidt TF, Teixeira CS, Felippe MC, Felippe WT, Pashley DH, Bortoluzzi EA. Effect of Ultrasonic Activation of Irrigants on Smear Layer Removal. J Endod 2015;41:1359-63.
19. Kim HJ, Park SJ, Park SH, Hwang YC, Yu MK, Min KS. Efficacy of flowable gel-type EDTA at removing the smear layer and inorganic debris under manual dynamic activation. J Endod 2013;39:910-4.