Main Article Content
Objective: To evaluate and compare the discoloration of the esthetic ceramic brackets after stimulating staining in vivid-colored food solutions and coffee.
Methods: 108 ceramic brackets from 4 brands (Inspire IceTM, Radiance PlusTM, ClarityTM, and W&H) were immersed in 4 solutions (Tom-Yum-Goong, yellow curry, green curry or coffee) at 37°C for 3 and 7 days. Distilled water was used as a solution in the control group. Color changes (ΔE) were measured by a spectrophotometer for CIE L*, a* and b* system. Then, the National Bureau of Standards (NBS) value was calculated. Statistical analysis was done using the Kruskal-Wallis test and the Mann-Whitney U Test (a = 0.05).
Results: Immersed longer, there was a perceptible change of color in all ceramic brackets in Tom-Yum-Goong, yellow curry, and coffee, but no change was noticed in distilled water (ΔE* < 3.7). The color alteration of brackets in green curry was found in ClarityTM and W&H brackets.
Conclusion: Time, various vivid-colored food solutions, and coffee affect changes in the color of esthetic ceramic brackets. However, the same crystal formation, either monocrystalline or polycrystalline, does not follow the same pattern in color change, varying according to bracket manufacturing fabrication.
2. Faltermeier A, Behr M, Mussig D. In vitro colour stability of aesthetic brackets. Eur J Orthod 2007;29:354-8.
3. Kim SH, Lee YK. Measurement of discolouration of orthodontic elastomeric modules with a digital camera. Eur J Orthod 2009;31:556-62.
4. Russell J, S. Aesthetic orthodontic brackets. J Orthod 2005;32:146-63.
5. Ziuchkovski JP, Fields HW, Johnston WM, Lindsey DT. Assessment of perceived orthodontic appliance attractiveness. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008;133:S68-78.
6. Choi SH, Kang DY, Hwang CJ. Surface roughness of three types of modern plastic bracket slot floors and frictional resistance. Angle Orthod 2014;84:177-83.
7. Jena AK, Duggal R, Mehrotra AK. Physical properties and clinical characteristics of ceramic brackets: a comprehensive review Trends Biomater Artif Organs 2007;20:101-15.
8. Karamouzos A, Athanasiou AE, Papadopoulos MA. Clinical characteristics and properties of ceramic brackets: A comprehensive review. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1997;112:34-40.
9. Matsui S, Umezaki E, Komazawa D, Otsuka Y, Suda N. Evaluation of mechanical properties of esthetic brackets. J Dent Biomech 2015;6:1-7.
10. Bishara SE, Fehr DE. Ceramic brackets: something old, something new, a review. Semin Orthod 1997;3:178-88.
11. Ozcan M, Finnema K, Ybema A. Evaluation of failure characteristics and bond strength after ceramic and polycarbonate bracket debonding: effect of bracket base silanization. Eur J Orthod 2008;30:176-82.
12. Akyalcin S, Rykiss J, Rody WJ, Wiltshire WA. Digital analysis of staining properties of clear aesthetic brackets. J Orthod 2012;39:170-5.
13. Bishara SE. Ceramic brackets: a clinical perspective. World J Orthod 2003;4:61-6.
14. De Mendonca MR, Fabre AF, Goiatto MC, Cuoghi OA, Martins LP, Verri CG. Spectrophotometric evaluation of color changes of esthetic brackets stored in potentially staining solutions. RPG Rev Pós Grad 2011;18:20-7.
15. De Oliveira CB, Maia LG, Santos-Pinto A, Gandini Junior LG. In vitro study of color stability of polycrystalline and monocrystalline ceramic brackets. Dental Press J Orthod 2014;19:114-21.
16. Fernandez L, Canut JA. In vitro comparison of the retention capacity of new aesthetic brackets. Eur J Orthod 1999;21:71-7.
17. Ghafari J. Problems associated with ceramic brackets suggest limiting use to selected teeth. Angle Orthod 1992;62:145-52.
18. Wriedt S, Schepke U, Wehrbein H. The discoloring effects of food on the color stability of esthetic brackets--an in-vitro study. J Orofac Orthop 2007;68:308-20.
19. Lee YK. Changes in the reflected and transmitted color of esthetic brackets after thermal cycling. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008;133:641.e1-6.
20. Johnston WM, Reisbick MH. Color and translucency changes during and after curing of esthetic restorative materials. Dent Mater 1997;13:89-97.
21. Sham AS, Chu FC, Chai J, Chow TW. Colour stability of provisional prosthodontic materials. J Prosthet Dent 2004;91:447-52.
22. Swartz ML. Ceramic brackets. J Clin Orthod 1988;22:82-8.
23. Leibrock A, Rosentritt M, Lang R, Behr M, Handel G. Colour stability of visible light curing hybrid composites. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 1997;5:125-30.
24. Khokhar ZA, Razzog ME, Yaman P. Color stability of restorative resins. Quintessence Int 1991;22:733-7.
25. Dietschi D, Campanille G, Holtz J, Meyer JM. Comparison of the color stability of ten new generation composites: an in vitro study. Dent Mater 1994;10:353-62.
26. Meyer LH, Umland N, Hopfermuller W, Kielbassa AM. Effect of mucina alone in combination with various dentifrices on in vitro remineralization. Caries Res 2004;38:478-83.
27. Prayitmo S, Addy M. An in vitro study of factors affecting the the development of staining associated with the use of clorhexidine. J Period Res 1979;14:397-402.
28. Hosoya Y. Five year colour changes of light cured resin composites: influence of light-curing times. Dent Mater 1999;15:268-74.
29. Paravina RD, Roeder L, Lu H, Vogel K, Powers JM. Effect of finishing and polishing procedures on surface roughness, gloss and color of resin-based composites. Am J Dent 2004;17:262-6.
30. Filho HL, Maia LH, Araujo MV, Eliast CN, Ruellas AC. Colour stability of aesthetic brackets: ceramic and plastic. Aust Orthod J 2013;29:13-20.
31. Um CM, Ruyter IE. Staining of resin-based veneering materials with coffee and tea. Quintessence Int 1991;22:377-86.
32. Yannikakis SA, Zissis AJ, Polyzois GL, Caroni C. Color stability of provisional resin restorative materials. J Prosthet Dent 1998;80:533-9.
33. Chan KC, Fuller JL, Hormati AA. The ability of foods to stain two composite resins. J Prosthet Dent 1980;43:542-5.
34. Lee YK, Lim BS, Kim CW. Effect of surface conditions on the color of dental resin composites. J Biomed Mater Res 2002;63:657-63.
35. Filho HL, Maia LEG, Araujo MVA, Ruellasb ACO. Influence of optical properties of esthetic brackets (color, translucence, and fluorescence) on visual perception. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2012;141:460-7.
36. Bolt RA, Bosch JJ, Coops JC. Influence of window size in small-window colour measurement, particularly of teeth. Phys Med Biol 1994;39:1133-42.
37. Eldiwany M, Friedl KH, Powers JM. Color stability of light-cured and post-cured composites. Am J Dent 1995;8:179-81.
38. Commission Internationale de l’Eclairage (CIE). Colorimetry technical report CIE publication no.15. Vienna, Austria: Bureau Central de la CIE; 2004.
39. Koksal T, Dikbas I. Color stability of different denture teeth materials against various staining agents. Dent Mater J 2008;27:139-44.
40. Guignone BC, Silva LK, Soares RV, Akaki E, Goiato MC, Pithon MM et al. Color stability of ceramic brackets immersed in potentially staining solutions. Dental Press J Orthod 2015;20:32-8.
41. Yu B, Lee YK. Aesthetic colour performance of plastic and ceramic brackets -- an in vitro study. J Orthod 2011;38:167-74.
42. Kukiattrakoon B, Hengtrakool C, Kedjarune-Leggat U. Effect of acidic agents on surface roughness of dental ceramics. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2011;8:6-15.
43. Park K, Yoon H, Kim S, Lee G, Park H, Park Y. Surface roughness analysis of ceramic bracket slots using atomic force microscope. Korean J Orthod 2010;40:294-303.
44. Eliades T, Bourauel C. Intraoral aging of orthodontic materials: the picture we miss and its clinical relevance. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2005;127:403-12.