Main Article Content
Objective : To evaluate the effect of LED blue light on the viability, proliferation and morphology of periodontal ligament fibroblasts (PDLF).
Materials and methods : Human PDLF cells were cultured and irradiated with LED blue light at different intensity and duration. MTT assay was used to determine the cytotoxicity and proliferation activity. Cell morphology was observed under light microscope. Statistical analysis was performed using ANOVA at a significant level of p<0.05.
Results : The LED blue light did affect PDLF cell numbers but not its morphology. PDLF cell numbers were significantly reduced in time-dependent manner irrespective to light intensity. The proliferation of PDLF cells was not affected by the duration of light exposure at 20 and 60 seconds.
Conclusion : The healthy periodontal ligament cells are not affected by the use of LED blue light since the exposure time does not exceed 60 seconds.
2. Leonard D, Charlton D, Roberts H, Cohen M. Polymerization efficiency of LED curing lights. J Esthet Restor Dent 2002;14:286-95.
3. Tarle X, Knezevi A. Demoli N, Meniga A, Sutalo J, Unterbribrink G, Ristic M, Pichler G. Comparison of Composite curing parameter: effects on light source and curing mode on conversion, temperature rise and polymerization shrinkage. Oper Dent 2006; 31: 219-26.
4. Bruzell Roll EM, Jacobsen N, Hensten-Pettersen A. Health hazards associated with curing light in the dental clinic. Clin Oral Invest 2004; 8: 113-7.
5. Wataha JC, Lockwood PE, Lewis JB, Rueggeberg FA, Messer RL. Biological effects of blue light from dental curing units. Dent Mater 2004; 20: 150-7.
6. Gritsch K, Pourreyron L, Ponsonnet L, Schembri C, Lagneau C, Grosgogeat B. Biological effects of blue light on human gingival fibroblast: an in vitro study. Eur Cell Mater 2007;13: 5.
7. Carrasco TG, Carrasco-Guerisoli LD, Froner IC. In vitro study of the pulp chamber temperature rise during light-activated bleaching. J Appl Oral Sci 2008; 16: 355-9.
8. Hwang I-Y, Son Y-O, Kim J-H, Jeon Y-M, Kim J-G, Lee C-B, Park J-S, Lee J-C. Plasma-arc generated light inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis of human gingival fibroblasts in a dose-dependent manner. Dent Mater 2008; 24: 1036-42.
9. Narimatsu T, Negishi K, Miyake S, Hirasawa M, Osada H, Kurihara T, Tsubota K, Ozawa Y. Blue light-induced inflammatory marker expression in the retinal pigment epithelium-choroid of mice and the protective effect of a yellow intraocular lens material in vivo. Exp Eye Res. 2015; 132: 48-51.
10. Hockberger PE, Skimina TA, Centonze VE, Lavin C, Chu S, Dadras S, Reddy JK, Whiiittte JG. Activation of Flavin-containing oxidases underlies Light-induced Production of H2O2 in Mammalian Cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1999; 96: 6255-60.
11. Malcic AI, Pavicic I, Trosic I, Simeon P, Katanec D, Jukic K. The Effects of Bluephase LED Light on Fibroblasts. Eur J Dent 2012; 6: 311-7.
12. Godley BF, Shamsi FA, Liang FQ, Jarrett SG, Davies S, Boulton M. Blue light Induces Mitochondrial DNA Damage and Free Radical Production in Epithelial Cells. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 21061-6.