Main Article Content
Objective: The objective of this study was to use CBCT to observe the prevalence of the anterior loop of the inferior alveolar nerve, and to measure its horizontal and vertical distance from the mental foramen.
Materials and Methods: 250 CBCT were reviewed retrospectively due to implant planning in lower premolar-molar area. For each scan, the length of anterior loop in both vertical and horizontal distance from mental foramen was measured and compared data between groups base on gender and age.
Results: The prevalence of anterior loop of inferior alveolar nerve was 64.4%. The mean of vertical and horizontal length was 3.88±1.52 and 2.16±1.2, respectively. No significant difference in all groups except the horizontal length was significant difference between genders.
Conclusions: More than half of the samples presented the anterior loop. There was variation of anterior loop in horizontal and vertical length from mental foramen. That should be considered before implant placement, due to the possibility of damaging the anterior loop of inferior alveolar nerve.
2. Elias AC. Prevalence of altered sensations associated with implant surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1994;9(2):146-58.
3. Bartling R, Freeman K, Kraut RA. The incidence of altered sensation of the mental nerve after mandibular implant placement. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1999;57(12):1408-12.
4. Walton JN. Altered sensation associated with implants in the anterior mandible: a prospective study. J Prosthet Dent. 2000;83(4):443-9.
5. Wismeijer D, van Waas MA, Vermeeren JI, Kalk W. Patients' perception of sensory disturbances of the mental nerve before and after implant surgery: a prospective study of 110 patients. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997;35(4):254-9.
6. Chan HL, Misch K, Wang HL. Dental imaging in implant treatment planning. Implant Dent. 2010;19(4):288-98.
7. Majid IA. Radiographic prescription trends in dental implant site assessment: A survey. J Dent Implants. 2014;4(2):140-3.
8. Kaya Y, Sencimen M, Sahin S, Okcu KM, Dogan N, Bahcecitapar M. Retrospective radiographic evaluation of the anterior loop of the mental nerve: comparison between panoramic radiography and spiral computerized tomography. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2008;23(5):919-25.
9. Romanos GE, Greenstein G. The incisive canal. Considerations during implant placement: case report and literature review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2009;24(4):740-5.
10. Guerrero ME, Noriega J, Castro C, Jacobs R. Does cone-beam CT alter treatment plans? Comparison of preoperative implant planning using panoramic versus cone-beam CT images. Imaging Science Dentistry. 2014;44(2):121-8.
11. Jaju PP, Jaju SP. Clinical utility of dental cone-beam computed tomography: current perspectives. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2014;6:29-43.
12. Jacobs R, Mraiwa N, Van Steenberghe D, Sanderink G, Quirynen M. Appearance of the mandibular incisive canal on panoramic radiographs. Surg Radiol Anat. 2004;26(4):329-33.
13. Bou Serhal C, Jacobs R, Flygare L, Quirynen M, van Steenberghe D. Perioperative validation of localisation of the mental foramen. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2002;31(1):39-43.
14. Klinge B, Petersson A, Maly P. Location of the mandibular canal: comparison of macroscopic findings, conventional radiography, and computed tomography. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1989;4(4):327-32.
15. Apostolakis D, Brown JE. The anterior loop of the inferior alveolar nerve: prevalence, measurement of its length and a recommendation for interforaminal implant installation based on cone beam CT imaging. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2012;23(9):1022-30.
16. Bornstein MM, Al-Nawas B, Kuchler U, Tahmaseb A. Consensus statements and recommended clinical procedures regarding contemporary surgical and radiographic techniques in implant dentistry. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014;29 Suppl:78-82.
17. Vujanovic-Eskenazi A, Valero-James JM, Sanchez-Garces MA, Gay-Escoda C. A retrospective radiographic evaluation of the anterior loop of the mental nerve: comparison between panoramic radiography and cone beam computerized tomography. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2015;20(2):e239-45.
18. Rosa MB, Sotto-Maior BS, Machado Vde C, Francischone CE. Retrospective study of the anterior loop of the inferior alveolar nerve and the incisive canal using cone beam computed tomography. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2013;28(2):388-92.
19. Li X, Jin ZK, Zhao H, Yang K, Duan JM, Wang WJ. The prevalence, length and position of the anterior loop of the inferior alveolar nerve in Chinese, assessed by spiral computed tomography. Surg Radiol Anat. 2013;35(9):823-30.
20. Dao TT, Mellor A. Sensory disturbances associated with implant surgery. Int J Prosthodont. 1998;11(5):462-9.