Main Article Content
Purpose: The accuracy of implants placed with the aid of a surgical template is limited. The objective of this study was to validate the position between virtually planned implants using a computer and then comparing the clinically placed implants with the computer aided surgical template in the maxilla.
Material and Methods: The implants’ positions were calculated and compared between the planned implants and the implants' clinical position after surgery. The results show the most differences in distance at the level of the hex, the apex, and the depth. The angular differences were presented in degrees.
Results: The greatest errors were found at the vertical depth and showed divergence at the level of the hex and apex of the implants.
Conclusion: there were significant differences between the virtually planned implants' position and the final position of implants placed clinically. For the treatment planning, placement, and restoration of dental implants for a partially edentulous patient it is recommended that clinicians, who are providing dental implant procedures, become knowledgeable in 3D diagnosis and treatment planning concepts and should also be familiar with interactive treatment planning software applications. Anatomical limitations can make implant locations difficult to determine. This article describes how to facilitate a computer-guided surgical technique, for a partially edentulous patient, with a fabricated restoration prior to implant placement in order to create more accuracy.
2. Abad-Gallegos M, Gomez-Santos L, Sanchez-Garces MA, et al. Complications of guided surgery and immediate loading in oral implantology: a report of 12 cases. Medicina oral, patologia oral y cirugia bucal. 2011 ;16: 220-224.
3. Widmann G, Stoffner R, Schullian P, et al. Comparison of the accuracy of invasive and noninvasive registration methods for image-guided oral implant surgery. The International journal of oral & maxillofacial implants 2010; 25: 491-498.
4. Pettersson A, Kero T, Soderberg R, Nasstrom K. Accuracy of virtually planned and CAD/CAM-guided implant surgery on plastic models. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 2014; 112: 1472-1478.
5. Schneider D, Marquardt P, Zwahlen M, Jung RE. A systematic review on the accuracy and the clinical outcome of computer-guided template-based implant dentistry. Clinical oral implants research. 2009; 20: 73-86.
6. Tahmaseb A, De Clerck R, Wismeijer D. Computer-guided implant placement: 3D planning software, fixed intraoral reference points, and CAD/CAM technology. A case report. The International journal of oral & maxillofacial implants. 2009; 24: 541-546.
7. Valente F, Schiroli G, Sbrenna A. Accuracy of computer-aided oral implant surgery: a clinical and radiographic study. The International journal of oral & maxillofacial implants. 2009; 24: 234-242.
8. Pettersson A, Komiyama A, Hultin M, Nasstrom K, Klinge B. Accuracy of virtually planned and template guided implant surgery on edentate patients. Clinical implant dentistry and related research. 2012; 14: 527-537.
9. Jung RE, Schneider D, Ganeles J, et al. Computer technology applications in surgical implant dentistry: a systematic review. The International journal of oral & maxillofacial implants. 2009; 24: 92-109.
10. Van Assche N, Vercruyssen M, Coucke W, Teughels W, Jacobs R, Quirynen M. Accuracy of computer-aided implant placement. Clinical oral implants research. 2012; 23:112-123.
11. Zhao XZ, Xu WH, Tang ZH, Wu MJ, Zhu J, Chen S. Accuracy of computer-guided implant surgery by a CAD/CAM and laser scanning technique. The Chinese journal of dental research : the official journal of the Scientific Section of the Chinese Stomatological Association. 2014; 17: 31-36.
12. Vasak C, Strbac GD, Huber CD, Lettner S, Gahleitner A, Zechner W. Evaluation of three different validation procedures regarding the accuracy of template-guided implant placement: an in vitro study. Clinical implant dentistry and related research. 2015; 17: 142-149.
13. Khzam N, Arora H, Kim P, Fisher A, Mattheos N, Ivanovski S. Systematic Review of Soft Tissue Alterations and Esthetic Outcomes Following Immediate Implant Placement and Restoration of Single Implants in the Anterior Maxilla. Journal of periodontology. 2015; 86: 1321-1330.