Main Article Content
Objective: To evaluate the effect of various air abrasion treatments on micro-shear bond strength (μSBS) of
zirconia bonded with different self-adhesive resin cements.
Methods: Fully-sintered Y-TZP block specimens (IPS e.max® ZirCAD, Ivoclar Vivadent) were prepared to 5 types
of surface treatments: no treatment [CON], air abrasion with different particle sizes and pressures: 50 μm & 1
bar [50.1], 50 μm & 3 bar [50.3], 110 μm & 1 bar [110.1], and 110 μm & 3 bar [110.3]. Then, the specimens
were divided into two subgroups for further cementation with self-adhesive resin cements (Rely X Unicem Aplicap,
3M ESPE and Panavia SA, Kuraray). These cements were placed into tygon tubes over the zirconia specimens.
After water storage at 37°C for 24 hours, micro-shear bond strength (μSBS) was measured. Failure mode was
observed under SEM. Statistical analysis was performed by ANOVA and Tukey’s test (α = 0.05).
Results: The air abrasion treatment with various particle sizes and pressures affected μSBS (p<0.05). The higher
pressure and larger particle size improved zirconia bond strength. Panavia SA performed superiorly in μSBS
than Rely X Unicem (p<0.05).
Conclusions: The air abrasion with larger particle size (110 μm) & higher air pressure (3 bar) in combination with
MDP-containing resin cement (Panavia SA) could create the optimal adhesion to zirconia.
2. Raigrodski A.J. Contemporary materials and technologies for all-ceramic fixed partial dentrues: a review of the literature. J Prosthet Dent 2004; 92(6):557-562.
3. Baldissara P, Querze M, Monaco C, Scotti R, Fonseca RG. Efficacy of surface treatments on the bond strength of resin cements to two brands of zirconia ceramic. J Adhes Dent 2013;15:259-267.
4. Oyague RC, Monticelli F, Toledano M, Osorio E, Ferrari M, Osorio R. Effect of water aging on microtensile bond strength of dual-cured resin cements to pre-treated sintered zirconium-oxide ceramics. Dent Mater 2009;25:392-399.
5. Derand T, Molin M, Kvam K: Bond strength of composite luting cements to zirconia ceramic surfaces. Dent Mater 2005;21:1158-1162.
6. Ozcan M, Vallittu PK. Effect of surface conditioning methods on the bond strength of luting cement to ceramics. Dent Mater 2003;19:275-231.
7. Komine F, Fushiki R, Koizuka M, Taguchi K, Kamio S, Hideo M. Effect of surface treatment on bond strength between an indirect composite material and zirconia framework. J Oral Sci 2012;54(1):39-46.
8. Aboushelib MN, Kleverlaan CJ, Feilzer AJ. Selective infiltration-etching technique for a strong and durable bond of resin cements to zirconia-based materials. J Prosthet Dent 2007;98:379-388.
9. Spohr AM, Borges GA, Burnett Juior LH, Mota EG, Oshima HMS. Surface modification of in-ceram zirconia ceramic by Nd:YAG laser, rocatec system, or aluminum oxide sandblasting and its bond strength to resin cement. Phtomed. Laser Sur. 2008;26(3):203-208.
10. Qeblawi DM, Munoz CA, Brewer JD, Monaco EA. The effect of zirconia surface treatment on flexural strength and shear bond strength to a resin cement. J Prosthet Dent 2010;103:210-220.
11. Attia A, Lehmann F, Kern M. Influence of surface conditioning and cleaning methods on resin bonding to zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater 2011;27:207-213.
12. Lehmann F, Kern M. Durability of resin bonding to zirconia ceramics using different primers. J Adhes Dent 2009;11:479-483.
13. Yang B. Barli A, Kern M. Influence of air-abrasion on zirconia ceramic bonding using an adhesive composite resin. Dent Mater 2010;26:44-50.
14. Zhange Y, Lawn BR, Rekow D, Thompson VP. Effect of sandblasting on the long-term performance of dental ceramics. J Biomed Mater Res 2004;71B:381-386.
15. Conrad HJ, Jin Seong W, Pesun IJ. Current ceramic materials and system with clinical recommendations: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent 2007;98:389-404.
16. Blatz M, Sadan A, Martin J, Lang B. In vitro evaluation of shear bond strengths of resin to densely sintered high purity zirconium-oxide ceramic after long-term storage and thermal cycling. J Prosthet Dent 2004;91:356-362.
17. Manicore PF, Iommetti PR, Raffaelli L. An overview of zirconia ceramics: basic properties and clinical applications. J Dent 2007;35:819-826.
18. Burke Fj, Fleming GI, Nathanson D, Marquis PM. Are adhesive technologies needed to support ceramics? An assessment of the current evidence. J AdhesDent 2002;4:7-22.
19. Attia A. Bond strength of three luting agents to zirconia ceramic – influence of surface treatment and thermocycling. J Appl Oral Sci 2010:388-395.
20. Gome AL, Oyague RC, Lynch CD, Montero J, Albaladejo A. Influence of sandblasting granulometry and resin cement composition on microtensile bond strength to zirconia ceramic for dental prosthetic frameworks. J Dent 2013;41:31-41.
21. Ana P, Ruxandra S. Adhesive cementation protocol of zirconia restorations. Rom J Oral Rehabil 2011;3:114-118.
22. Inokoshi M, De Munck J, Minakuchi S, Van Meerbeek B. Meta-analysis of bonding effectiveness to zirconia ceramics. J Dent Res 2014;93(4)329-334.
23. Chen L, In Suh B, Brown D, Chen X. Bonding of primed zirconia ceramics: Evidence of chemical bonding and improved bond strength. Am J Dent 2012;25(2): 103-108.
24. Zhang Y, Sun R, Feng X, Chen A, Shao L. An in vitro evaluation of the zirconia surface treatment by mesoporous zirconia coating on its bonding to resin cement. Bio-Med Mater Eng 2014; 24:2109-2116.
25. Chintapalli RK, Rodriguez AM, Marro FG, Anglada M. Effect of sandblasting and residual stress on strength of zirconia for restorative dentisty application. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 2014;29:126-137.
26. Valentino TA, Borges GA, Borges LH, Platt JA, Correr-Sobrinho C. Influence of glazed zirconia on dual-cure luting agent bond stregnth. Oper Dent 2012;37-2:181-187.
27. Su N, Yue L, Liao Y, Liu W, Zhang H, Li X, Wang H, Shen J. The effect of various sandblasting conditions on surface changes of dental zirconia and shear bond strength between zirconia core and indirect composite resin. J Adv Prosthodont 2015;7:214-223.
28. Heikkinen TT, Lassila LVJ, Vallittu PK & M. Effect of operating air pressure on tribochemical silica coating. Acta Odontol Scand 2007;65:241-248.
29. Hallmann L, Ulmer P, Reusser E, Hammerle CHF. Effect of blasting pressure, abrasive particle size and grade on phase transformation and morphological change of dental zirconia surface. Surf. Coat. Technol. 2012;206:4293-4302.
30. Lughi V, Sergo V. Low temperature degradation-aging-of zirconia: A critical review of the relevant aspects in dentistry. Dent Mater 2010;26:807-820.