Main Article Content
This study is a retrospective case control study aimed to analyze factors predicting the occurrence of chronic kidney disease in diabetic patients in Sisaket province. The sample included 311 diabetic patients with chronic kidney disease stage 3 and 622 diabetic patients without chronic kidney disease. Data collection was performed by interview and review medical record which was validated for content validity by 5 experts. It’s content validity index (CVI) is .80, Data were analyzed by descriptive statistics and logistic regression analysis.
The results of binary logistic regression analysis showed that the factors significantly predicted the chronic kidney disease occurrence included non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use (OR = 4.28), salty food consumption (OR = 3.54), exercise and sports activities (OR = 3.03), the quantity of drinking water (OR = 3.00), herbal drug use (OR = 2.66), blood glucose control (OR = 2.51), hypertension (OR = 2.43), systolic blood pressure (OR = 2.22), urinary tract stones (OR = 2.11), sweet food consumption (OR = 2.12), family history of chronic kidney disease (OR = 1.94), high fat dietary (OR = 1.71) and smoking (OR = 1.55). Knowing factors predicting the occurrence of chronic kidney disease would help diabetic patients to know their risks and be useful for health care provider to develop health service plans in order to prevent the deterioration of the kidney function
2. Tantayotoi V, Intarasombat P. Nursing of chronic renal failure patients. In: Hanucharurnkul S. editors. Medicine Nursing Book 3. 11 nd ed. Bangkok: VJ Printing; 2000. Thai.
3. Bannasitrath R. Anxiety, depression, and psychosocial factors in patients with chronic kidney disease in Department of Medicine, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital [dissertation]. [Bangkok]: Chulalongkorn University; 2000. 121 p.
4. Bureau of Non Communicable Disease. Operating manual for the operation of reducing chronic kidney disease (CKD) in patients with diabetes and high blood pressure. Nonthaburi: Office of the Veterans Affairs Printing Office Royal patronage; 2016.
5. Tantayotoi V, Intarasombat P. Nursing of chronic renal failure patients. In: Hanucharurnkul S. editors. Medicine Nursing Book 3. 11 nd ed. Bangkok: VJ Printing; 2000. Thai.
6. Sangkot P. Study on risk factors relating to chronic kidney disease in persons who at risk to chronic kidney disease [dissertation]. [Khon Kaen]: Khon Kaen University; 2011. 98 p.
7. Wongprakob N, Piyabunditkul L. Predictive factors of chronic kidney diseasein patients with diabetes mellitus and hypertension. The Journal of Baromarajonani College of Nusing, Nakhonratchasima. 2017; 23(2): 94-106. Thai.
8. Meinrrt CL, Tonascia S. Clinical trials: design, conduct and analysis. New York: Oxford University Press; 1996.
9. Hsieh FY, Bloch DA, Larsen M.D. A simple method of sample size calculation for linear and logistic regression. Statistics in Medicine 1998; 17(4): 1623-34. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19980730)17:14<1623: :AID-SIM871>3.0.CO;2-S
10. Varitsakul R. Dietary management for slow progression in patients with diabetic kidney disease. Journal of The Royal Thai Army Nurses. 2014; 15(1): 22-28. Thai.
11. Khochaseni P, Trakan Wanich T, Wari Sangthip K. Nephrology board review 2014. Bangkok: Text and Journal Public Limited; 2014. Thai.
12. Diabetes Association of Thailand. Guidelines for diabetes 2017. Pathum Thani: Romyen Media Co.; 2017. Thai.
13. James PA, Oparil S, Carter BL, et al. Evidence- based guideline for the management of high blood Pressure in adults report from the panel members appointed to the eighth joint national committee (JNC 8). JAMA. 2014; 311(5): 507–20.
14. Reilly R, Perazella MA. Nephrology in 30 days. 2 nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical Pub; 2014.
15. Hippisley-Cox J, Coupland C. Predicting the risk of chronic kidney disease in men and women in England and Wales: prospective derivation and external validation of the QKidney® Scores. BMC Fam Pract 2010; 11: 49. doi: 10.1186/ 1471-2296-11-49.
16. Ingsathit A, Thakkinstian A, Chaiprasert A, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of chronic kidney disease in the Thai adult population: Thai SEEK study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009; 25(5): 1567-75. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfp669
17. Thakkinstian A, Ingsathit A, Chaiprasert A, et al. A simplified clinical prediction score of chronic kidney disease: a cross-sectional- survey study. BMC Nephrology. 2011; 12(45): 1-8.
18. Stephan R, Schroeder T, Ritz E, et al. Effects of smoking on renal function in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005; 20(11): 2414-9
19. Stump CS. Physical activity in the prevention of chronic kidney disease. Cardiorenal Med. 2011; 1(3): 164–173. doi: 10.1159/000329929