Main Article Content
This study aimed to investigate and compare the 3E 2S (Eating, Exercise, Emotion, Stop smoking, Stop alcohol drinking) health behaviors of the elderly in Narathiwat Province during the coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. The sample of 1,087 people aged 60 years and over living in Narathiwat Province were obtained from multistage random sampling. A questionnaire consisted of demographic data and the 3E 2S Health Behavior in the elderly parts, which were content validated by experts. The Cronbach’s Alpha coefficient was .81 for reliability. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, and one-way ANOVA. The findings revealed that the total score for 3E 2S health behaviors among the elderly in Narathiwat Province under COVID-19 pandemic was at a good level ( = 3.86, .59). Considering each aspect separately, the score for stop smoking and stop alcohol drinking were at a very good level ( =4.89 and 4.98; SD=.38 and .17, respectively). In addition, the score for eating, exercise, and emotion were at a good level ( =3.08, 3.55, and 3.59; SD=1.25, 1.50, and 1.26, respectively). Moreover, elderly who varied in education and their ability in the use of medication had a significantly different level of 3E 2S health behaviors among the elderly in Narathiwat Province
บทความและรายงานวิจัยในวารสารพยาบาลกระทรวงสาธารณสุข เป็นความคิดเห็นของ ผู้เขียน มิใช่ของคณะผู้จัดทำ และมิใช่ความรับผิดชอบของสมาคมศิษย์เก่าพยาบาลกระทรวงสาธารณสุข ซึ่งสามารถนำไปอ้างอิงได้
2. Narathiwat Provincial Statistical Office. Narathiwat provincial statistical report 2019 [internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 August 20]. Available from: http://narathiwat.nso.go.th/images/Statisticalinformationservice/provincialstatisticalreport/2019provincialstreport/2019narathiwatstreportcompress.pdf.(in Thai).
3. Department of Medical Services. Geriatric syndromes. Nonthaburi: Is August Company Limited;2015.(in Thai).
4. Waichompu N, Boontud R, Singweratham N. Elderly health promotion by three main concepts. The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health 2019;6(2):262-69.(in Thai).
5. Department of Older Persons. The set of self-care knowledge and development to be good health in aging [internet]. 2017 [cited in 2020 August 20] Available from: http://ltc-older.dop.go.th/download/knowledge/th1548051363-115_0.pdf.(in Thai).
6. Geenakoth M, Pongpanich K. Changes of respiratory system and chest physiotherapy management. Royal Thai Army Medical Journal 2018;71(4):279-83.(in Thai).
7. Department of Disease Control. The information of the method of preventing from coronavirus 2019 [internet]. 2020 [cited in 2020 September 6] Available from: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/file/introduction/introduction01.pdf.(in Thai).
8. Department of Disease Control. The report of COVID-19 situation in Narathiwat province [internet]. 2021 [cited in 2021 February 1] Available from: http://ntwo.moph.go.th/covid19/.(in Thai).
9. Department of Older Persons. Guidelines for caring the elderly during the coronavirus pandemic [internet]. 2020. [cited in 2021 March 2020] Available from: http://dop.go.th/th/ebook/003.(in Thai).
10. Yothapan T. Elderly care in COVID-19 pandemic. Thai Health Promotion Foundation [internet]. 2020 [cited in 2020 August 20]. Available from: http://healthydee.moph.go.th/view_article.php?id=728.(in Thai).
11. Rich A. Meeting the challenge of monitoring medications in older adults. American Nurse Today 2018; 13(9):96-98.
12. Foundation of Thai Gerontology Research and Development Institute. The direction of the elderly working beyond the new challenges in the COVID-19 situation [internet]. 2020 [cited in 2021 March] Available from: https://thaitgri.org/?p=39121).(in Thai).
13. Department of Health Service Support. The report of health behaviors 3E 2S in COVID-19 pandemic [internet]. 2020 [cited in 2020 August 20] Available from: https://hss.moph.go.th/show_topic.php?id=3601.(in Thai).
14. Thato R. Nursing research: concepts to application. 3rded. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University Printing House; 2018.(in Thai).
15. Department of Health Service Support. The questionnaires of health literacy and health behavior 3E 2S among work aged adults in 2017 edition [internet]. 2017 [cited in 2020 September 6] Available from:
16. Punthasee P, Srisawad K. Correlations between health belief and 3E 2S health behaviors of elderly in Taejew Community Tungwatdorn Sathorn Bangkok Thailand. Journal of Health and Health Management 2020;6(1 January-June):45-57.(in Thai).
17. Wongsawat S. Knowledge of mind and spiritual care in COVID-19 pandemic. Nonthaburi: Department of Mental Health;2020.
18. Sripetch W, Denpetchnong W, Inphrom M, Tangkliang B. A study on health behaviors in older people in Thamyai subdistrict Thungsong district Nakhon Sri Thammarat province. Walailak Procedia 2019;2019(2):SS.70.
19. Niratchara N, Supanakul P. Way of life of muslim people in Thailand’s southern provinces, and health promoting lifestyle. The Southern College Network Journal of Nursing and Public Health 2018;5 (2 May-August):302-12.(in Thai).
20. Pitayarangsarit S, Punkrajang P. Smoking situation in Thailand 2018. Bangkok: Tobacco Control Research and Knowledge Management Center;2018.(in Thai).
21. Department of Prevention and Control Region 12 Songkhla. 31 May 2020 World No-Tobacco Day Sor Kor Ror 12 Songkhla points out high risk of COVID from tobacco addiction [internet]. 2020 [cited in 2020 August 20]. Available from: https://ddc.moph.go.th/odpc12/news.php?news=13122&deptcode=).(in Thai).
22. Tinkhajee S. Health behaviors of the elderly people in Nonthaburi municipality, Nonthaburi province [Research report]. Nonthaburi: Rajapruk University;2019.(in Thai).
23. Phoomchaiya S, Isaramalai S, Naka K. Health status and dependency of Thai elderly in an urban area: Hatyai Municipality. Journal of Liberal Arts, Prince of Songkla University 2018;10(1 January–June): 308-51.(in Thai).
24. Department of Control Disease. Alcohol consumption control department of disease ask for cooperation to prevent and reduce the risk of spread COVID-19 [internet]. 2020. [cited in 2021 February 6]. Available from: https://ddc.moph.go.th/brc/news.php?news=12340&deptcode=brc.(in Thai).
25. Lertwittayakul T. Predication of health status of the elderly according to health care behavior. College of Asian Scholars Journal 2018;8(October):287-307.