Main Article Content
Postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) is one of the most common anesthesia-related complications. It is associated with many undesirable conditions, for example unplanned hospital admission for one-day surgery cases. The Royal College of Anesthesiologists of Thailand (RCAT) established this guideline aimed to reduce the incidence and severity of PONV for adults or pediatrics those at risk for PONV. The guideline was provided the recommendation on identifying high-risk patients, modified the feasible baseline of PONV risks, medications of choices available in our country for prevention and rescue treatment of PONV.
Continuing education in anaesthesia critical care & pain
2. Apfel CC, Läärä E, Koivuranta M, Greim CA, Roewer N. A
simplified riskscorefor predicting postoperativenauseaand
vomiting: conclusions from cross-validations between two
3. Gan TJ, Belani KG, Bergese S, et al. Fourth consensus
guidelinesfor the managementof postoperativenauseaand
vomiting. Anesth Analg 2020;131(2):411-48.
4. EberhartLHJ, Geldner G, Kranke P,etal.The development
and validation of a risk score to predict the probability of
postoperative vomiting in pediatric patients. Anesth Analg
5. Gan TJ. Postoperative nausea and vomiting-can it be
eliminated?. JAMA 2002;287(10):1233-6.
6. Eberhart LHJ, Mauch M, Morin AM, Wulf H, Geldner G.
Impact of a multimodal anti-emetic prophylaxis on patient
satisfaction in high-risk patients for postoperative nausea
and vomiting. Anaesthesia2002;57(10):1022-7.
7. Gold BS, Kitz DS, Lecky JH, Neuhaus JM. Unanticipated
admission to the hospital following ambulatory surgery.
8. Carroll NV, Miederhoff P, CoxFM, HirschJD. Postoperative
nauseaand vomiting after dischargefrom outpatientsurgery
centers. Anesth Analg 1995;80(5):903-9.
9. Shaikh SI, Nagarekha D, Hegade G, Marutheesh M.
Postoperative nausea and vomiting: a simple yet complex
problem. Anesth Essays Res.2016;10(3):388-96.