Main Article Content
Cold has been used for healing since ancient times. There are continuous development models for increase the efficiency of treatment. Since 1978 Prof. Toshiro Yamauchi, Japanese doctor who developed first cryochamber, specially designed cryotherapy device for Whole body cryotherapy. This treatment involves exposing individuals to extremely cold at temperature below -110oC for a short duration, used to relive pain and inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis. Nowadays, Whole body cryotherapy enhance their recovery and wellbeing. It’s becoming popular amongst with a number of high-profile athletes across a variety of sports in order to prevent injury and promote recovery from injuries and after-season recovery. Moreover, many studies of Whole body cryotherapy is recommended for depressive, anxiety disorders and Alzheimer’s disease as well.
2. Hammond L, Meyler J, Moss R, Skinner B. Whole body cryotherapy: a ‘cool’ new therapeutic technology?. SportEX dyn 2013;35:30-4.
3. Piotrowska A. Safety aspects of whole-body cryochamber and cryosauna operation. IOP Conf. Ser Mater. Sci. Eng 2017;278:012125. doi: 10.1088/1757-899X/278/1/012125
4. Lombardi G, Ziemann E, Banfi G. Whole-body cryotherapy in athletes: from therapy to stimulation. An updated review of the literature. Front Physiol 2017;8:258. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00258.
5. Banfi G, Lombardi G, Colombini A, Melegati G. Whole – body cryotherapy in athletes. Sports Med 2010;40:509-17.
6. Rose C, Edwards KM, Siegler J, Graham K, Caillaud C. Whole-body cryotherapy as a recovery technique after exercise: a review of the literature. Int J Sports Med 2017;38:1049-60.
7. Stanek A, Cholewka A, Wielkoszynski T, Romuk E, Sieron A. Decreased oxidative stress in male patients with active phase ankylosing spondylolitis who underwent whole-body cryotherapy in closed cryochamber. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2018;2018:7365490. doi: http://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7365490.
8. Ma SY, Je HD, Jeong JH, Kim HY, Kim HD. Effects of whole-body cryotherapy in the management of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2013;94:9-16.
9. Vitenet M, Tubez F, Marreiro A, Polidori G, Taiar R, Legrand F, et al. Effect of whole body cryotherapy interventions on health-related quality of life in fibromyalgia patients: a randomized controlled trail. Complement Ther Med 2018;36,6-8.
10. Rymaszewska J, Ramsey D, Chladzinska-Kiejna S. Whole-body cryotherapy as adjacent treatment of depressive syndrome and anxiety disorders. Arch Immunol Ther Exp 2008;56:63-8.
11. Selfe J, Alexander J. Costello JT, May K, Garratt N, Atkins S, et al. The effect of three different (-135oC) whole body cryotherapy exposure durations on elite rugbyleague players. PLoS One 2014;9:e86420. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0086420.
12. FDA.gov [Internet]. Silver Spring. MD: Whole body cryotherapy(WBC): a “cool” trend that lacks evidence, poses risks [update 2018 Jul 5: cited 2019 Jun 1]. U.S. Available from https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/whole-body-cryotherapy-wbc-cool-trend-lacks-evidence-poses-risks
13. O’Connor M, Wang JV, Gaspari AA. Cold burn injury after treatment at whole-body cryotherapy facility. JAAD Case reports 2019;5:29-30.