Health Outcomes: Review Literature of a Complementary Health Care by Therapeutic Touch
Therapeutic touch is the process of energy exchange through both the hands of a practitioner without making contact with the body but the hand moving in a different direction and format. The principle of the processes of energy exchange by hand-mediated therapy involve the practitioner to restore, energize and equilibrate imbalances in the recipient's energy field or Meridian life capability. An energy system is organized for positive health and healing process. Nurses created and initiated therapeutic touch as a nursing intervention. Explanation of therapeutic touch about the principles of energy and energy field is a combination between a natural and scientific approach, including physical, psychosocial and spiritual. Therapeutic touch comprises all three elements, as well as energy, and the energy field balanced. The importance of the practitioner and the recipient is to make them calm, reduce tension and maintain peace throughout the treatment. Based on a review of the therapeutic touch literature, the good health outcomes are accelerated healing process and released physical symptom problems. Research has shown the positive effects on almost every body system.
misleads the public. London: Routledge; 2006. p. 286–361.
2. Astin JA, Harkness E, Ernst E. The efficacy of distant healing: a systematic review of randomized trials. Ann Intern Med 2000;132(11):903–10.
3. Fontauine K. Complementary & alternation therapies for nursing practice. 2nd ed. New Jersey: Pearson; 2005.
4. Barrett S, Why therapeutic touch should be considered quackery [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2010 Mar 27]. Available from: https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/tt.html
5. Boonyaniyom N. Therapeutic touch: workshop on complementary health care by therapeutic touch and academic seminar on development of complementary health care by therapeutic touch research. Bangkok: Faculty of Nursing Chulalongkorn University; 1999. (in Thai)
6. Phuthong W, Narumitlert J. Effect of complementary care by therapeutic touch in fatigue and symptom distress of cancer patients receiving chemotherapy and/or radiation. Bangkok: The
Thai Red Cross College of Nursing; 2012. (in Thai)
7. Pattamapadungsit P. The Interview of Dr. Noppawan Boonyaniyom [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2016 Nov 26]. Available from: http://www.thainewyork.com/module.pmodload&name=New &
file (in Thai)
8. Kunz D, Krieger D. Therapeutic touch: de spiritul dimensie. Deventer: Ankh-Hermes; 2005.
9. Krieger D. To the editor:...'Should nurses practice therapeutic touch? Should nursing schools teach therapeutic touch?' (Vol 14, No 4, July-August, 1998). J Prof Nurs 1999;15(3):200-1.
10. Chunhapran P. Using Therapeutic touch [Internet]. 2006 [cited 2010 Apr 6]. Available from: http:// www.dmh.go.th/sty_libnews/news /view.asp?id=4163 (in Thai)
11. Glickman B. Therapeutic touch and me. Phactum [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2016 Apr 6]:11-5. Available from: http://www.phact.org/data /phactums/Phactum%202013-04.pdf
12. Bruno LC. Therapeutic touch [Gale Research Encyclopedia of Medicine]. 2001. [cited 2016 Apr 6]. Available from: https://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/divisions-diagnostics-and-
13. Tangpanitanon J. Quantum Update. Quantum Technology Research Center, Singapore [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2018 Jan 15]. Available from: https://quantumupdate.wordpress.com
14. O'Mathúna D, Pryjmachuk S, Spencer W, Stanwick M, Matthiesen S. A critical evaluation of the theory and practice of therapeutic touch. Nurs Philos 2002;3(2):163–76.
15. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH). Efficacy of healing touch in stressed neonates [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2014 Jul 24]. Available from:
16. Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine. Therapeutic touch [Internet]. 2005 [cited 2017 Mar 6]. Available from: http://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/divisions-diagnostics-and-
17. Hatthakit U, Chukumnerd P. Factors related to integration of eastern wisdom into nursing practice. Songklanagarind J Nurs 2015;35(Suppl. Sep-Dec):1-14. (in Thai)
18. Buddharat U, Sen-Ngam K, Khamchan P. Using eastern wisdoms in nursing care for patients of registered nurse in the south of Thailand. Songklanagarind J Nurs 2015;35(2):1- 20. (in Thai)
19. Eckes Peck SD. The effectiveness of therapeutic touch for decreasing pain in elders with degenerative arthritis. J Holist Nurs 1997;15(2):176–98.
20. Wardell DW, Rintala DH, Duan Z, Tan G. A pilot study of healing touch and progressive relaxation for chronic neuropathic pain in persons with spinal cord injury. J Holist Nurs 2006;24(4):231-40.
21. Lu DF, Hart LK, Lutgendorf SK, Perkhounkova Y. The effect of healing touch on the pain and mobility of persons with osteoarthritis: a feasibility study. Geriatr Nurs 2013;34(4):314-22.
22. Foley MK, Anderson J, Mallea L, Morrison K, Downey M. Effects of healing touch on postsurgical adult outpatients. J Holist Nurs 2016;34(3):271-9.
23. Heidt P. Effect of therapeutic touch on the anxiety level of hospitalized patients. Nurs Res 1981;30(1): 32-7.
24. Wilkinson DS, Knox PL, Chatman JE, Johnson TL, Barbour N, Myles Y., et al. The clinical effectiveness of Healing touch. J Altern Complement Med 2002;8(1):33-47.
25. Klein GJ, Lowe K, Krouse M. Using healing touch to help junior nursing students with their anxiety. International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta International, the Honor Society of Nursing. [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2017 Jul 7]. Available from: https://sigma.nursingrepository.org/handle/10755/335129?show=full
26. Giasson M, Bouchard L. Effect of therapeutic touch on the well-being of persons with terminal cancer. J Holist Nurs 1998;16(3):383-98.
27. Birocco N, Guillame C, Storto S, Ritorto G, Catino C, Gir N, et al. The effects of Reiki therapy on pain and anxiety in patients attending a day oncology and infusion services unit. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 2012;29(4): 290-4.
28. O'Mathúna DP, Ashford RL. Therapeutic touch for healing acute wounds. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014;29(7):CD002766. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002766.pub3.
29. O'Mathúna DP, Ashford RL. Therapeutic touch for healing acute wounds. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;13(6):CD002766. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002766.pub2.
30. O'Mathúna DP. Therapeutic touch for healing acute wounds. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016;3(5): CD002766. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002766.pub4.
31. Wirth DP. The effect of non-contact therapeutic touch on the healing rate of full thickness dermal wounds. Subtle Energies 1990;1(1):1-20.
32. Wirth DP. Complementary healing intervention and dermal wound reepithelialization: an overview. Int J Psychosom 1995;42(1-4):48-53.
33. Coppa D. The internal process of therapeutic touch. J Holist Nurs 2008;26(1):17-24.
34. Hanley MA. Therapeutic touch with preterm infants: composing a treatment. Explore (NY) 2008;4(4):249-58.
35. Quinn JF. Building a body of knowledge: research on therapeutic touch, 1974-1986. J Holist Nurs 1988;6(1):37-45.
36. Somsap Y, Ingathawornwong T. Alternative and integrated methods of healthcare used by Southern Thai pregnant women. Thai Journal of Nursing Council 2014;29(2):114-26. (in Thai)
37. Newshan G, Schuller–Civitella D. Large clinical study shows valve of therapeutic touch program. Holist Nurs Pract 2003;17(4):189-92.
38. Umbreit MS, Coates RB, Roberts AW. The impact of victim offender mediation: a cross-national perspective. Conflict Resolut Q 2000;17(3):215-229.
39. Macrae J. Therapeutic touch: a practical guide. New York: Knopf; 1997.
เนื้อหาบทความหรือข้อคิดเห็นต่างๆ ในวารสารพยาบาลสภากาชาดไทยนี้ เป็นความคิดเห็นของผู้เขียนบทความ ไม่ใช่ความเห็นของกองบรรณาธิการ หรือสถาบันการพยาบาลศรีสวรินทิรา สภากาชาดไทย