Main Article Content
This quasi-experimental study used a one-group pretest-posttest with repeated measures design, which aimed to examine the effect of “Rueseedutton” exercise postures on the nutritional status and quality of life of older persons. Purposive sampling was used to recruit a sample of 23 older persons who lived in Muang District, Ubonratchathani Province. The subjects performed the exercise with the 15 “Rueseedutton” postures regularly, three times per week, 60 minutes per day for over three months. The instruments used in this study were 1) the WHOQOL questionnaire, 2) a set of instruments to assess nutritional status with anthropometry, and 3) “Rueseedutton” exercise video. The nutritional status and quality of life were measured at baseline and after exercise at 1 and 3 months. Data were analyzed using descriptive
statistics and one-way repeated measures ANOVA. The results revealed that the body mass index, the thickness of fat under skin, the percentage of body fat, and the percentage of body mass were not significantly different over time. However, these values exhibited a desirable trend. In addition, the total quality of life was at a good level, and its mean score at three months after exercise was significantly better than that at baseline. Therefore, this study should be used as basic information for promoting exercise to enhance the quality of life of older people.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
บทความ ข้อมูล เนื้อหา รูปภาพ ฯลฯ ที่ได้รับการตีพิมพ์ในรามาธิบดีพยาบาลสาร ถือเป็นลิขสิทธิ์ของวารสาร หากบุคคลหรือหน่วยงานใดต้องการนำทั้งหมดหรือส่วนหนึ่งส่วนใดไปเผยแพร่หรือเพื่อกระทำการใด ใด จะต้องได้รับอนุญาตเป็นลายลักษณ์อักษรจากรามาธิบดีพยาบาลสารก่อนเท่านั้น
2. Department of Older Persons; 2018 [cited 2019 May 19]Statistic of elderly Available from: https://www.dop.
go.th/th/know/1/48 (in Thai)
3. Silva MR, Alberton CL, Portella EG, Nunes GN, Martin DG, Pinto SS. Water-based aerobic and combined training
in elderly women: Effect on functional capacity and quality of life. Exp Gerontol. 2018;106:54-60.
4. Harnirattisai T. Nursing in promoting physical activity and exercise for health promotion in elderly. Pathumthani:Thammasat printing house; 2019. (in Thai)
5. Khanthong P, Dechakhamphu A, Natason A. A study on effect of Rueseedutton to physical fitness of elderly. [Full text]. Ubon Ratchathani; 2018. (in Thai)
6. Bureau of Non Communicable Diseases, Department of Disease Control. Collaborative NCDs nurse in community (diabetes and hypertension). Bangkok: Kaew Chao Chom,s Print Media Center, Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University;2017.(in Thai)
7. Seong-Hi Park, Han KS, Chang-Bum Kang. Effect of exercise programs on depressive symptoms, quality of life,
and self-esteem in older people: a systemic review of randomized controlled trials. Appl Nurs Res. 2014;27
8. Suwittawat C. Rueseedutton health promotion for the elderly. Journal of nursing Science & Health. 2009;32
(4):84-92. (in Thai)
9. Samnak N, Eukuyi M, Boonrod T, Somrak K. Modification of health behavior in a group of patients with prehypertension at the Pakphanang District, Nakhon Si Thammarat Province. KKU-JPHR. 2011;4(2):21-8.
10. Pithaksa P, Salitool P. The association between Thai Traditional Medicine Dhammanamai health promotion
program and quality of life in diabetes patients in Kantharalak district, Si Sa Ket Province. Journal of Thai
Traditional & Alternative Medicine. 2012;10(1):43-51.(in Thai)
11. Khanthong P, Suktho S, Punthprohm S, Thaenhom K,Rahan W. The immediate effects of individual thai yoga
on back flexibility in the elderly. UBRU Journal for Public Health Research. 2019;7(2):108-14. (in Thai)
12. Suttijit S. The effects of Ruesee-Dudton exercises on flexibility and body balance of the elderly.[thesis].
Chulalongkorn University; 2008. (in Thai)
13. Thepsuriyanon D, Khanthong P. Quality of life in ascetic exercise among elderly in Ban Sai Mool, Yasothon
Province. Journal of Traditional Thai Medical Research.2017;3(2):1-5. (in Thai)
14. Ngowsiri K, Karuhadej P, Napapongsa K. Effectiveness of Thai mind-body exercise “Rusie Dutton” on blood
pressure and quality of life in older adults in Bangkok,Thailand. Journal of Public Health and Development
Research. 2018;16(3):41-53. (in Thai)
15. Sinsoongsud W, Tantiprasoplap S, Surakiat S. Physical activity for control of non-communicable diseases. In
Piaseu N (Eds.). Nutritional care for control of noncommunicable diseases in community. Bangkok: Golden
Point; 2018, p.87-89.(in Thai)
16. Burn N, Grove S. The practice of nursing research:appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence. 6thed.
St.Louis:W.B. Saunders; 2009.
17. Srisatidnarakul B. The methodology in nursing research.5thed. You and I intermedia; 2010. (in Thai)
18. Choo V. WHO reassesses appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations. Lancet. 2002;360:235.
19. World Health Organization. Physical status: The use and interpretation of anthropometry. Technical Report Series,854. Geneva,Switzerland: World Health Organization;1995.
20. Sanithnid S, Banchonhattakit P. Effect of promoting ascetic exercise program for elderly aging group by applying self efficacy theory and social support in Namphong District,Khon Kaen Province. Srinagarind Medical Journal 2014;29(3):304-10.(in Thai)
21. Cherin P, Voronska E, Fraoucene N, Jaeger CD.Prevalence of sarcopenia among healthty ambulatory
subjects: the sarcopenia begins from 45 years. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2014;26(2):137-46.
22. Natason A, Piaseu N, Pinthong P. Nutrition knowledge,attitude toward food, food consumption behavior, and
nutritional status in semi-rural community, Ubon Ratchathani Province. Ramathibodi Nursing Journal.
23. Srimatavorakul P, Naka K, Noopetch P. Physical activity among older persons in rural Southern Thailand.
Thai Journal of Nursing Council. 2010;25(1):112-20.(in Thai)
24. Kaensar R. Neuro system. In Kaensar R. (Eds). Physiology I (new edition). Nonthaburi: Tanapress;2012, p.83-281.
25. Dhramchareon W. The effects of internal and external factors on happiness in elderly. [thesis]. Bangkok: National Institute of Development Administration; 2012.(in Thai)
26. Phongsiri P, Kulprateepunya K, Lohapaiboonkul N,Moongsin S, Wongsanga P. Quality of life, mental health
status and activities of the elderly: case study Muang District, Ubon Ratchathani Province. Kuakarun Journal of
Nursing. 2018;25(2):137-51.(in Thai)