Main Article Content
Background: In order to increase the potential use of intellectual property innovations of the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, it is necessary to know the intellectual property information and utilization. In the past, there has been no systematic study to be used as a guide to leverage intellectual property for social and commercial purposes. Currently, there is no clear information to improve operations and support.
Objectives: To study the number of intellectual property and their utilization in the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University.
Methods: This retrospective study was conducted between the academic year 2007 to 2018 by using secondary data of intellectual property for data collection and analysis. The numbers of intellectual property were categorized by year, type of intellectual property and type of utilization. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics.
Results: There were 146 intellectual properties including 52 petty patents (35.62%), 1 invention (0.69%), 9 product designs (6.16%) and 84 copyrights (57.53%), whereas 25 pending process of patents. The utilization of intellectual property was 51.72% for use for social purposes, 36.55% for academic use, and only 11.73% for commercial use.
Conclusions: The utilization of intellectual property at the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University was mainly for academic and community uses. Use for commercial purposes was relatively low but there is potential for application provided that inventors receive suitable encouragement and have intellectual property knowledge to develop innovations that lead to concrete use.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. The Thailand Research Fund. Announcement of the National Research Council of Thailand Grants and Funding in Call for Paper Innovation for Area Based Development 2018. Bangkok: The Thailand Research Fund; 2018. https://www.trf.or.th/component/attachments/download/4587. Accessed September 20, 2019.
3. Arayaphan W, Manmart L, Kabmala M, Triratanasirichai K. The current situation and problem of knowledge and information management for management intellectual property in higher education institutions in Thailand. KKU Res J (GS). 2015;15(2):21-38. https://www.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/gskku/article/view/47232/39152. Accessed September 20, 2019.
4. Department of Intellectual Property. Basic knowledge of Intellectual Property. 1st ed. Nonthaburi: Cloudbook; 2017.
5. Ministry of Science and Technology of Thailand. Thailand Science & Technology Indicators 2018. Bangkok: National Science Technology and Innovation Policy Office: Print City Carbon Neutral Company; 2018. https://stiic.sti.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/THAI-SCI-2018-final-compressed.pdf. Accessed September 20, 2019.
6. Wanichakorn A. Development of creative arts research into patents. Fine Arts Journal. 2017;21(1):71-83. https://ejournals.swu.ac.th/index.php/jfofa/article/view/8864/7647. Accessed September 20, 2019.
7. Department of Intellectual Property. Patent Statistics: Patent Applications in Thailand by Educational Institution, 2007 - 2017. Bangkok: National Science Technology and Innovation Policy Office; 2017. https://stiic.sti.or.th/stat/ind-pt/pt-t007/. Published March 16, 2017. Accessed September 20, 2019.
8. Mahidol University. Strategic of the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital Between the Academic Years 2017 to 2020. Bangkok: Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University; 2017. https://med.mahidol.ac.th/policy/sites/default/files/public/pdf/Strategic_2560-2563.pdf. Published June 31, 2017. Accessed September 20, 2019.
9. World Intellectual Property Organization. General to the International Patent Classification (IPC), Version 2019. Geneva, Switzerland: World Intellectual Property Organization; 2019. https://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/classifications/ipc/en/guide/guide_ipc.pdf. Accessed September 20, 2019.
10. National Research Council of Thailand. Questionnaire for the use of research results to be utilized of National Research Council of Thailand 2018. https://www.nrms.go.th/FileUpload/AttatchFile/News/256106152051487815217.docx. Accessed September 20, 2019.
11. Research Management and Development Division, Mahidol University. Research information: Research have been granted intellectual property, 2018. https://op.mahidol.ac.th/ra/research_output_IP/. Accessed September 20, 2019.
12. Department of Intellectual Property. Search Patent System, 2019. https://patentsearch.ipthailand.go.th/DIP2013/simplesearch.php. Accessed September 20, 2019.