Main Article Content
Postoperative analgesia is an important aspect of anesthesia care since pain problems affect both physical and mental derangement, resulting in delayed recovery. Transversus abdominis plane block (TAP block) can be performed in the abdominal wall area using ultrasound-guided technique. The TAP block is a peripheral nerve block designed to anesthetize the nerves supplying the anterior abdominal wall. Nowadays, the TAP block could also be used to reduce the need for postoperative opioid use, to extend the period of first analgesia request, and to provide more effective pain relief while decreasing opioid related side effects such as sedation and postoperative nausea and vomiting. Realizing the need to create an innovation, Ramathibodi Hospital anesthesia team has introduced the RAMA TAP block sheet, which is a transparent plastic sheet with 2 square-sided holes. The RAMA TAP block sheet is designed to facilitate anesthesiologist during TAP block procedure and reduce contamination risk from gauzes in surgical area. This innovation could potentially allow the anesthesiologist to visualize both sides of abdominal walls as well as the midline of abdomen clearly so that a good injection site with local anesthetic to skin can be located. The RAMA TAP block sheet is an inexpensive, practical and highly efficient invention that could be sterilized.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. Nelson G, Altman AD, Nick A, et al. Guidelines for postoperative care in gynecologic/oncology surgery: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS®) Society recommendations--Part II. Gynecol Oncol. 2016;140(2):323-332. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2015.12.019.
3. Kittikornchaichan K. Anesthetic management in enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS). Thammasat Med J. 2016;16(4):694-704.
4. Tontisirin N, Jitaree A. What’s new in acute postoperative pain management. Rama Med J. 2011;34(1):58-76.
5. Techawibunphon K. Transversus abdominis plane block: easy procedure, better benefit. Thai J Anesthesiol. 2014;40(4):307-321.
6. Sharkey A, Finnerty O, McDonnell JG. Role of transversus abdominis plane block after caesarean delivery. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2013;26(3):268-272. doi:10.1097/ACO.0b013e328360fa16.
7. Lohmann & Rauscher Pty Ltd. Raucodrape® PRO LAP/Spinal Sheet. https://www.lohmann-rauscher.com/au-en/products/or-products/raucodrape-pro-or-drape-system/neurosurgery-ent-cmf-ophthalmology/lapspinal-sheet/. Accessed November 20, 2019.
8. IndiaMART InterMESH Ltd. Spinal sheet 70x70. https://www.indiamart.com/preetmediwears/spinal-sheet-70-x-70.html. Accessed November 20, 2019.
9. Sanohdontree C, Tananet P. Work Instruction: The Use of 100% Ethylene Oxide Sterilizers. Bangkok, Thailand: Central Sterile Supply Department, Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University; 2019.