Nursing Care of Children with Cancer: A Case Study
At present, care providers giving care to children with cancer who have undergone chemotherapy face the problems of future complications. This is especially the case for children who have been diagnosed with cancer for the first time. This is because chemotherapy which is given to stop cancer from spreading in the early stages usually has strong side effects. If the patient is not well monitored, there is a high possibility that the patients may not be able to complete the treatment process resulting in severe exacerbation of the disease. Nurses play a vital role in caring for pediatric cancer patients in preventing complications and adverse effects. This could help patients receive continuing treatment and have a better quality of life.
2. Newton S, Hickey M, Brant JM. Mosby's oncology nursing advisor: a comprehensive guide to clinical practice. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2017.
3. My Cancer Genome. Cytotoxic chemotherapy mechanisms of action [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2018 Dec 3]. Available from: https://www.mycancergenome.org
4. Frandsen G, Pennington SS. Abrams' clinical drug therapy: rationales for nursing practice. 11th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 2018.
5. Yarbro CH, Wujcik D, Gobel BH. Cancer nursing: principles and practice. 8th ed. Burlington: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2018.
6. Barton-Burke M, Wilkes GM, Ingwersen KC. Cancer chemotherapy: a nursing process approach. 3rd ed. Boston: Jones and Bartlett; 2001.
7. Hockenberry MJ, Wilson D. Wong’s Nursing Care of infants and children. 9th ed. St.Louis: Elsevier; 2011.
8. Newton S, Hickey M, Brant JM. Mosby’s oncology nursing advisor a comprehensive guide to clinical practice. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2017.
9. Pathomjaruwat T. Prevention and management of extravasation in infusion therapy. Songklanagarind J Nurs 2017;37(2):169-81. (in Thai)
10. Surayuthpricha K. Neutropenia and infection in pediatric cancer patients. Rama Nurs J 2010;16(1):14-26. (in Thai)
11. Karomprat A, Chaichan P, Santawesuk U, Sookprasert A. Symptoms, symptom management and outcome in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Srinagarind Med J 2017;32(4):326-31. (in Thai)
12. Medscape. Sodium thiosulfate [Internet].n.d. [cited 2019 Jan 2]. Available from: https://reference.medscape.com/drug/sodium-thiosulfate-343750
13. Siripool P. Symptom management: nursing care for pediatric patients with leukemia. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University Press; 2011. (in Thai)
14. Ingcharoensunthorn P, Muangsri P, Ruangon M, Maluleem M. Adverse drug reaction from L-Asparaginase therapy in pediatric cancer. Thai Pediatric Journal 2011;18(3):194-98.
15. Khumpho P, Chintanadilok N, Payakkaraung S, Winaichartsak A. Pain-relieving effect of music therapy on school age children having received bone marrow aspiration. Thai J Nurs
Counc 2014;29(1):82-94. (in Thai)
16. Siriraj Hospital How to wash your hands clean and disease free [Internet]. n.d. [cited 2019 Apr 19]. Available from https://siph.codediva.co.th/th/news/article2/share/57.
เนื้อหาบทความหรือข้อคิดเห็นต่างๆ ในวารสารพยาบาลสภากาชาดไทยนี้ เป็นความคิดเห็นของผู้เขียนบทความ ไม่ใช่ความเห็นของกองบรรณาธิการ หรือสถาบันการพยาบาลศรีสวรินทิรา สภากาชาดไทย