Main Article Content
Objective: To study the effect of serum from patients with atherosclerotic risk factors on the synthesis of endothelial tissue factor.
Methods: Serum from 30 diabetic patients, 30 hyperlipemic patients, 30 smokers and 30 normal serum were incubated with cultured endothelial cells from a human umbilical vein. The tissue factor of endothelial cells was measured using the assay that was developed in house after 24 hours incubation time.
Results: Smokersั serum can significantly cause the increase in endothelial tissue factor. The mean level of tissue factor induced by smokersั serum is 1.12 microunits/cell whereas the mean level of tissue factor induced by diabetic serum, hyperlipemic serum and normal serum is 0.4, 0.48 and 0.2 microunit/cell, respectively.
Conclusion: Smoking may increase the risk of thrombosis by increasing the tissue factor production of endothelial cells.
All articles published in the Siriraj Medical Journal (SMJ) are protected by copyright. No material in this journal may be reproduced on any platform including electronic or in print or transmitted by any means, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the Editor of the SMJ. Written permission must also be obtained before any part of the SMJ is stored in any retrieval system of any nature.
2. Matetzky S, Tani S, Kangavari S, Dimayuga P, Yano J, Helen Xu, et al. Smoking increases tissue factor expression in atherosclerotic plaques: implications form plaque thrombo-genicity. Circulation. 2000 Aug;102(6): 602-4.
3. Blann A, Amiral J, McCollum C, Lip GY. Differences in free and total tissue factor pathway inhibitor, and tissue factor in peripheral artery disease compared to healthy controls. Atherosclerosis. 2000 Sep;152(1):29-34.
4. Rauch U, Nemerson Y. Circulating tissue factor and thrombosis. Curr Opin Hematol. 2000 Sep;7(5):273-7.
5. Tremoli E, Camera M, Toschi V, Colli S. Tissue factor in atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 1999 Jun;144(2):273-83.
6. Rickles FR, Patierno S, Patricia M. Tissue Factor, Thrombin, and Cancer. Chest. 2003 Sep;124:58S-68S.
7. Koyama T, Nishida K, Ohdama S, Sawada M, Murakami N, Hirosawa S, et al Determination of plasma tissue factor antigen and its clinical significance. Br J Haematol, 1994 Jun;87(2):343-7.
8. Albrecht S, Kotzsch M, Siegert G, Luther T, Grossmann H, Grosser M, et al Detection of circulating tissue factor and factor VII in a normal population. Thromb Haemost. 1996 May;75(5):772-7.
9. Misumi K, Ogawa H, Yasue H, Soejima H, Suefuji H, Nishiyama K, et al Comparison of plasma tissue factor levels in unstable and stable angina pectoris. Am J Cardiol, 1998 Jan;81(1):22-6.
10. Nieuwland R, Berckmans RJ, McGregor S, B?ing AN, Romijn FP, Westendorp RG, et al. Hemostasis, thrombosis, and vascular biology: Cellular origin and procoagulant properties of microparticles in meningococcal sepsis. Blood. 2000. Feb;95:930-5.
11. Diamant M, Nieuwland R, Pablo RF, Sturk A, Smit JW, Radder JK. Elevated Numbers of Tissue-Factor Exposing Microparticles Correlate With Components of the Metabolic Syndrome in Uncomplicated Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Circulation. 2002 Nov;106:2442-7.
12. Seljeflot I, Hurlen M, Hole T, Arnesen H. Soluble tissue factor as predictor of future events in patients with acute myocardial infarction. Thromb Res. 2003 Jan;111(6):369-72.
13. Woolf N. Haemostasis and thrombosis 2nd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone. Chapter 9, Thrombosis and atherosclerosis; 1987. p. 887-96.
14. Jaffe E, Nachman R, Becker C, Minick C. Culture of human endothelial cells derived from umbilical veins identification by morphologic and immunologic criteria. J Clin Invest. 1973 Nov;52(11):2745-56.
15. Sangtawesin W, Hijikata-Okunomiya A, Opartkiattikul N, Wongtiraporn W, Luenee P, Butthep P, et al. Surface and total tissue factor activity of endothelial cells. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 1997 Jan;28(Suppl 3):164-6.
16. Colucci M, Balconi G, Lorenzet R, Pietra A, Locati D, Donati MB, et al. Cultured human endothelial cells generate tissue factor in response to endotoxin. J Clin Invest. 1983 Jun;71(6):1893-6.
17. Surprenant Y, Steven H, Zuckerman S. A novel microtiter plate assay for the quantitation of procoagulant activity on adherent monocytes, macrophage and endothelial cells. Thromb Res. 1989 Feb;53(3):339-46.
18. Salameh A. High D-glucose induces alteration of endothelial cell structure in a cell-culture model. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1997 Aug;30(2):182-90.
19. Lorenzi M, Cagliero E, Toledo S. Glucose toxicity for human endothelial cells in culture. Delayed replication, disturbed cell cycle, and accelerated death. Diabetes. 1985 Jul;34(7):621-7.
20. Ceriello A, dello Russo P, Amstad P, Cerutti P. High glucose induces antioxidant enzymes in human endothelial cells in culture. Evidence linking hyperglycemia and oxidative stress. Diabetes. 1996 Apr;45(4):471-7.
21. Weis J, Pitas R, Wilson B, Rodgers G. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein increases cultured human endothelial cell tissue factor activity and reduces proetin C activation. The FASEB .1991 Jul;5(10):2459-65.
22. Burke A, Farb A, Malcom G. Coronary risk factors and plaque morphology in men with coronary disease who died suddenly. N Engl J Med. 1997 May;336(18):1276-82.
23. Adams M. Cigarette smoking is associated with increased human monocyte adhesion to endothelial cells: reversibility with oral L-arginine but not vitamin C. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1997 Mar;29(3):491-7.
24. Nagy J. Induction of endothelial cell injury by cigarette smoke. Endothelium. 1997 Jan;5(4):251-63.
25. Suefuji H, Ogawa H, Yasue H. Increased plasma tissue factor levels in acute myocardial infarction. Am Heart J. 1977 Aug;134(2):253-9.
26. Blann A, CN M. Adverse influence of cigarette smoking on the endothelium. Thromb Haemostas. 1993 Oct;70(4):707-11.
27. Conklin B, Surowiec S, Ren Z, Li J, Zhong D. The effects of nicotine and cotinine on porcine arterial endothelial cell function. J Surg Res. 2001 Jan;95(1):23-31.
28. Cucina A, Sapienza P, Borrelli V, Corvino V, Foresi G, Randone B, et al. Nicotine recognizes cytoskeleton of vascular endothelial cell through platelet-derived growth factor BB. J Surg Res. 2000 Aug;92(2):233-8.
29. Villablanca A. Nicotine stimulates DNA synthesis and proliferation in vascular endothelial cells in vitro. J Appl Physiol. 1998 Jun;84(6):2089-98.
30. Sarkar R. Effect of cigarette smoke on endothelial regeneration in vivo and nitric oxide levels. J Surg Res. 1999 Mar;82(1):43-7.
31. Smith C, Fischer T. Particulate and vapor phase constituents of cigarette mainstream smoke and risk of myocardial infarction. Atherosclerosis. 2001 Oct;158(2):257-67.