Main Article Content
The authors presented a case report of a woman who suffered from primary infertility due to anovulation. She was
diagnosed to have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and was treated by ovarian stimulation with conventional technique,
such as clomiphene citrate alone, the combination of clomiphene citrate and metformin and the combination of clomiphene
citrate with gonadotropins. Nevertheless all of them resulted in no response. Therefore, in vitro maturation of oocyte (IVM)
was started and followed by intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) of 22 oocytes. 14 embryos developed and three of them
were transferred back to the uterine cavity. She conceived and the ultrasonography revealed twin pregnancy at the 8-weeks
gestation. She gave birth at the 31 weeksั gestation in Siriraj Hospital. The newborns were admitted in the hospital for 24 days
for phototherapy in treating jaundice which was due to prematurity. Then both of them were discharged healthily.
All articles published in the Siriraj Medical Journal (SMJ) are protected by copyright. No material in this journal may be reproduced on any platform including electronic or in print or transmitted by any means, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the Editor of the SMJ. Written permission must also be obtained before any part of the SMJ is stored in any retrieval system of any nature.
PCOS to the in vitro maturation procedure and the outcome: a randomized
prospective study. Reproduction. 2001 Oct;122(4):587-92.
2. Tim J. Child, Abdul-Jalil AK, Gulekli B, Tan SL. In vitro maturation and
fertilization of oocytes from unstimulated normal ovaries, polycystic
ovaries, and women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2001
3. Hreinsson J, Rosenlund B, Friden B, Levkov L, Ek I, Suikkari AM,
et al. Recombinant LH is equally effective as recombinant hCG in promoting
oocyte maturation in a clinical in-vitro maturation programme:
a randomized study. Human Reproduction. 2003 Oct;18(10):2131-6.
4. Chian RC, Buckett WM, Tulandi T, Tan SL. Prospective randomized
study of human chorionic gonadotrophin priming before immature oocyte
retrieval from unstimulated women with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Human Reproduction. 2000 Jan;15(1):165-70.
5. Son WY, Chung JT, Chian RC, Herrero B, Demirtas E, Elizur S, et al.
A 38 h interval between hCG priming and oocyte retrieval increases in
vivo and in vitro oocyte maturation rate in programmed IVM cycles.
Human Reproduction. 2008 Sep;23(9):2010-6.
6. Palomba S, Oppedisano R, Tolino A, Orio F, Zullo F. Outlook: metformin
use in infertile patients with polycystic ovary syndrome: an evidencebased
overview. Reprod Biomed Online. 2008 Mar;16(3):327-35.
7. Suikkari AM, Tulppala M, Tuuri T, Hovatta O, Barnes F. Luteal phase
start of low-dose FSH priming of follicles results in an efficient recovery,
maturation and fertilization of immature human oocytes. Human Reproduction.
8. Lin YH, Hwang JL, Huang LW, Mu SC, Seow KM, Chung J, et al.
Combination of FSH priming and hCG priming for in-vitro maturation
of human oocytes. Human Reproduction. 2003 Aug;18(8):1632-6.
9. Watson AJ. Oocyte cytoplasmic maturation: a key mediator of oocyte and
embryo developmental competence. J Anim Sci. 2007 Mar;85(13 Suppl):
10. Mikkelsen AL, Smith SD, Lindenberg S. In-vitro maturation of human
oocytes from regularly menstruating women may be successful without
follicle stimulating hormone priming. Human Reproduction. 1999 Jul;14(7):
11. Son W-Y, Yoon S-H, Lim J-H. Effect of gonadotrophin priming on invitro
maturation of oocytes collected from women at risk of OHSS. Reprod
Biomed Online. 2006 Sep;13(3):340-8.
12. Yang S-H, Son W-Y, Yoon S-H, Ko Y, Lim J-H. Correlation between in
vitro maturation and expression of LH receptor in cumulus cells of the
oocytes collected from PCOS patients in HCG-primed IVM cycles. Human
Reproduction. 2005 Aug;20:2097-103.
13. Mikkelsen AL. Strategies in human in-vitro maturation and their clinical
outcome. Reprod Biomed Online. 2005 May;10(5):593-9.
14. Buckett WM, Chian RC, Holzer H, Dean N, Usher R, Tan SL. Obstetric
outcomes and congenital abnormalities after in vitro maturation, in vitro
fertilization, and intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Obstet Gynecol. 2007
15. Cha KY, Chung HM, Lee DR, Kwon H, Chung MK, Park LS, et al.
Obstetric outcome of patients with polycystic ovary syndrome treated by
in vitro maturation and in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer. Fertil Steril.
16. Ong SS, Zamora J, Khan KS, Kilby MD. Prognosis for the co-twin following
single-twin death: a systematic review. BJOG: An International
Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2006 Sep;113(9):992-8.
17. Guidelines for the number of embryos to transfer following in vitro fertilization
No. 182, September 2006. International Journal of Gynaecology
& Obstetrics. 2008 Aug;102(2):203-16.
18. Barnes FL, Crombie A, Gardner DK, Kausche A, Lacham-Kaplan O,
Suikkari AM, et al. Blastocyst development and birth after in-vitro maturation
of human primary oocytes, intracytoplasmic sperm injection and
assisted hatching. Hum Reprod. 1995 Dec;10(12):3243-7.
19. Son WY, Park SJ, Hyun CS, Lee WD, Yoon SH, Lim JH. Successful
birth after transfer of blastocysts derived from oocytes of unstimulated
woman with regular menstrual cycle after IVM approach. J Assist Reprod
Genet. 2002 Nov;19(11):541-3.
20. Son WY, Lee SY, Lim JH. Fertilization, cleavage and blastocyst development
according to the maturation timing of oocytes in in vitro maturation
cycles. Hum Reprod. 2005 Nov;20(11):3204-7.
21. Chian R-C. In-vitro maturation of immature oocytes for inferiile women
with PCOS. Reprod Biomed Online. 2004 May;8(5):547-52.
22. Son WY, Chung JT, Herrero B, Dean N, Demirtas E, Holzer H, et al.
Selection of the optimal day for oocyte retrieval based on the diameter
of the dominant follicle in hCG-primed in vitro maturation cycles. Human
Reproduction. 2008 Dec;23(12):2680-5.